• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

For newbies 1st rifle

How about a thread mentioning new rifles and what you have to do to them? Most newbies think you take it out of the box and load up some ammo. Also what is some basic maintenance you have to do with what parts? Air guns are not like a Marlin 1894, where you get some Hoppes, run a patch thru it and load up some ammo.

I think it would have to be it's own section / sub forum thingy and a permanent thing to have any life or real use personally other wise as soon as it left the first page it would be repeated as the same old questions as it has been for years here lol . It is a great thought it just gets repeated year after year after year here . Nothing wrong with the question as newer members are sincere and no harm in growing the sport/hobby .

There is also the different strokes for different folks information questions that change with each unique individual such as usage / budget / air source / and on /and on / etc. haha

I thought about this myself and came to the conclusion that there's too many variables and the whole thing would be difficult to understand and manage.

Then there's personal preferences and different perspectives.

Often the poster is not sure what they want/need. Best if they ask and we help them out.

*** Most newbies think you take it out of the box and load up some ammo. ***

That's actually not a bad idea! Most of the time, even with an airgun as adjustable as something like an Impact, it's best to just clean the barrel and shoot it. Give the gun some time to break in (a tin or two) and for the shooter to get used to it before jerking the adjustment knobs all over the place.

Cheers!

How about a thread mentioning new rifles and what you have to do to them? Most newbies think you take it out of the box and load up some ammo. Also what is some basic maintenance you have to do with what parts? Air guns are not like a Marlin 1894, where you get some Hoppes, run a patch thru it and load up some ammo.

@drjjpdc78 I believe that it’s much easier to search and sift through media concerning the specific gun or guns that interest a person. From there absorb and learn as much as one can about that gun. As @Vana2 mentioned, there are many variables including, but not limited to intended use, ammo, make, model of gun, abilities of the individual, etc. As for maintenance, there are various threads across the forums that delve off into elements of airgun maintenance. This is where the bookmark feature comes in handy for me on AGN. Nothing wrong with asking, but it greatly benefits the intersted parties to read and watch videos of pros breaking these guns down and explaining them if you are able to watch videos on platforms like YouTube. I also think that https://www.airgun101.com/
is a great platform for information. Then there are digital versions of the owner’s manuals for various airgun makes and models that can be accessed relatively easy online and sometimes in the forums.

I am thinking of a forum title right at the top when you open the forums . like "before you shoot your new gun " then just a few sentences about cleaning and what to use and what not to use .
list check screws . just basic things everyone should check .
Check the "Resources" forum. I think @Michael's very first post covers basic general things like this.

By definition, that's the purpose of the "Resources" forum. I think I get what you mean though, "In your face" like an FAQ sub-forum or a sticky.
yes a sticky just under the Industrial news . before forums list . the first time i found this forum i jumped right to the forums Target challenges actually. then hunting and so on .

Reactions: drjjpdc78
Youtube is your friend. There are a lot of new rifle reviews before they are available to the public. Check out all the videos from this year's gun shows like IWA and the British Shooting Show.
*** Youtube is your friend ***

Agree and disagree 🙂

Yeah, YouTube is great to checkout new products. I don't have direct "touchy feely" access to many things so I'm forced to study the specs and make my best guess before committing to an online purchase.

To help decide about a product I watch a couple of unboxings to see what's what then go to the technical stuff to get an idea of the performance.

I consider reviews carefully looking for any bias and watch for common threads (positive or negative). If several reviewers are impressed or concerned with a particular feature then I'm more comfortable with the information. As always, it's buyer beware.

Then there's the negative thing about YouTube - I hear about something, start researching it out of curiosity and end up convincing myself that I need that product.

I managed to avoid getting an Avenger (I have lots of .22 caliber PCPs and don't need another one), but was not so lucky with the Avenge-X... I have one on order, darn YouTube! 😉

Cheers!

The trouble is, popular guns that just work might be more rarely talked about on forums, because there is nothing to talk about - there are no issues. Also, a new competing product in a market niche, that does fix the problems of the incumbent, might also not get enough attention.

I have rarely been able to get this right from the get go, based on just forums and specs, when making first puchases. And I do read forums and specs for months, every time.

Youtube is your friend. There are a lot of new rifle reviews before they are available to the public. Check out all the videos from this year's gun shows like IWA and the British Shooting Show.
Agreed.Do your homework first…i’m going through the whole “newbie” process now.It’s a lot of fun though👍🏼

I think it would have to be it's own section / sub forum thingy and a permanent thing to have any life or real use personally other wise as soon as it left the first page it would be repeated as the same old questions as it has been for years here lol . It is a great thought it just gets repeated year after year after year here . Nothing wrong with the question as newer members are sincere and no harm in growing the sport/hobby .

There is also the different strokes for different folks information questions that change with each unique individual such as usage / budget / air source / and on /and on / etc. haha
I agree the powder burner forum I'm in has a gunsmithing section with sub categories. I know we have a lot of experience/knowledge here.

Reactions: swNCsw
@drjjpdc78 I believe that it’s much easier to search and sift through media concerning the specific gun or guns that interest a person. From there absorb and learn as much as one can about that gun. As @Vana2 mentioned, there are many variables including, but not limited to intended use, ammo, make, model of gun, abilities of the individual, etc. As for maintenance, there are various threads across the forums that delve off into elements of airgun maintenance. This is where the bookmark feature comes in handy for me on AGN. Nothing wrong with asking, but it greatly benefits the intersted parties to read and watch videos of pros breaking these guns down and explaining them if you are able to watch videos on platforms like YouTube. I also think that https://www.airgun101.com/
is a great platform for information. Then there are digital versions of the owner’s manuals for various airgun makes and models that can be accessed relatively easy online and sometimes in the forums.
Thanks for the advice.

*** Youtube is your friend ***

Agree and disagree 🙂

Yeah, YouTube is great to checkout new products. I don't have direct "touchy feely" access to many things so I'm forced to study the specs and make my best guess before committing to an online purchase.

To help decide about a product I watch a couple of unboxings to see what's what then go to the technical stuff to get an idea of the performance.

I consider reviews carefully looking for any bias and watch for common threads (positive or negative). If several reviewers are impressed or concerned with a particular feature then I'm more comfortable with the information. As always, it's buyer beware.

Then there's the negative thing about YouTube - I hear about something, start researching it out of curiosity and end up convincing myself that I need that product.

I managed to avoid getting an Avenger (I have lots of .22 caliber PCPs and don't need another one), but was not so lucky with the Avenge-X... I have one on order, darn YouTube! 😉

Cheers!
One of the quality names I heard was the RWS 3400, also shown at my local LGS. Very nice wood but after reading mediocre reviews in 3-4 different gun forums, I decided to pass. It was not a Diana RWS 34.