For every hero story, there's a zero story

Yesterday Steve O and I did a morning turkey hunt. Steve was running late from switching vehicles, so I made an executive decision on which side of the property I would hunt. The ranch we hunt is not overly large (around 160 acres), but it's dominated by a steep wooded creek bottom on one side and relatively open hills on the other. The creek bottom offers concealment and potentially closer shots, while the open country holds big flocks of moving birds with the ability to see them from great distances and formulate a stalk.

I saw a tom strutting in the open and worked towards him using the little hummocks as cover. As I closed to within 150 yards, I was greeted by a bobbing head to my left at about 20 yards. There was another flock of toms that was hidden behind a row of oaks and I walked right into them. I took aim with the Texan .308 and thunked one of them. Feathers, dust, and a flopping bird....until he stopped flopping. The tom jumped up and ran off down into a creek bottom and like so many before, disappeared. Of course, every other bird around ran for their lives and after seeing so many birds around me with numerous opportunities, I was left holding my d**k in my hand looking foolish. Little did I know my hand and my d**k would get to know each other pretty well as the morning progressed.

I spent about a half hour with an electronic coyote call (may as well since I had pushed all of the birds out) and then headed out to the creek area to see how Steve O was doing. As Steve approached the truck, he was chirping with his diaphragm call a bit. He couldn't see it, but some toms came walking right out of the creek bottom and straight at him. I frantically waved, hissed, and gestured and he seemed to get the message. I got to watch him stalk, call and work into shooting position from my perch by the road. Unfortunately, he missed a head shot inside of 50 yards (kudos for going for the head shot vs. a body shot, which was easy but risky)

We decided to drive around to where I had seen wounded the tom earlier. Sure enough, we spotted a group of toms at @ 100 yards. Steve made a couple of shots with his MKIII that missed and the birds started to walk off (miracle that they stood there after the first shot) I took the Texan out of the backseat, closed the distance about 10 yards, and went to a knee. Using the other knee/elbow as a rest I put the cross hairs on the closest tom walking away and sent it. The PLOP! sound echoing back and the kicking and flopping bird meant the shot was true. Now here's where things got interesting.

Shooting turkeys is relatively easy. Planting them and not wounding them is harder than you would think. I reloaded and we could no longer see the flopping, but we watched as the flock of toms ran down the hill. I sprinted after them trying to find which one was wounded so I could put another in him. I must have run about 250 yards straight down the hill, but the birds outpaced me and I had to make the dejected stroll back up the hill. Poking around where I had shot the bird, I found the feather pile. Right about then, SteveO goes, 'Hey, there's the bird right there'. The tom had crawled under a log, and before we could dispatch him, he ran out and down into a slash pile of oak limbs. He didn't go far; maybe 20'. I couldn't see him, but he HAD to be in there. Steve took my gun and I proceeded to pull limbs and crawl my way in. The bird busted out of there and ran up the little draw out of site again. Frustrating. We both climbed out and resumed the search.

I started to get not only really frustrated, but downright pissed off. I HATE wounding birds, and it seems that lately it has happened far, far too often. I purposely switched out the lovely MKII to the Texan for turkeys just to hopefully avoid this very issue. We knew the bugger couldn't have left the little jumbled patch of brush, but it was brutally full of berry bushes and nettles. Not exactly the easiest stuff to wade through and find a camo'd bird. After a good ten minutes I was about to lose hope when I saw the unmistakable stripe tail feather sticking out from a nettle patch. I scaled down to about 10' from the bird and I had SteveO hand me the Texan. I aimed at the middle body (couldn't see its head) and shot it again. The bird did the typical 'tense up, and then relax' which is common to a dispatching shot like that.

After handing SteveO the Texan, I went to in grab the bird and drag him out. To my shock and horror, the tom stood up and hopped out of the nettle patch, up and over the lip of the gulley, and once again scrambled to try to escape. Being down low I couldn't see, and SteveO is holding two guns on the top of the ditch. The bird wobbled out of sight for the third time. At this point, I started losing my s**t. How the hell can a zombie bird take that much punishment, be at arms reached THREE DIFFERENT TIMES, and still escape from two guys with guns? We looked and searched for @ 30 minutes. I threw a temper tantrum and let all of the frustration come spilling out ('I should just quit hunting if I can't kill 'em', 'Why me?', 'What the f**k did I deserve to be cheated like this?' 'I'm gonna break this p.o.s. Texan over my f**king knee!') Poor Steve had to endure my ranting tirade (picture the Tasmanian Devil losing his mind on Looney Tunes) and he worked so hard to help me find the bird. We knew he wasn't far and probably dead, but at some point after you've looked in every conceivable nook and cranny, you have to admit defeat and give up.

This was perhaps the most frustration and deflating hunting experience I've had in a long time. As an outdoorsman and a sports guy (both watching and playing), I understand that failure is part of the experience. We don't always harvest game; we miss shots, we make errors, we go 0-4 in a slow pitch softball game (that will cost a lot in beer), we lose big fish right at the boat, etc. Today was like that feeling when you let the game ending ground ball go between your legs, miss a winning layup at the final buzzer, miss a 2' putt to win a match, or knock off the fish of lifetime with the net. I've done all of these, and they HURT! I'm passionate and competitive and I put a lot of money, time and effort into my activities. I felt (and still feel) like the stupidest, most inept, and foolish turkey hunter on the planet.

It's one thing to miss a shot, lose a fish, etc. because nothing is REALLY hurt. Disappointing, sure, but when the result is obviously a mortally wounded game animal that is lost and not recovered it's just brutal. It's happened to me a lot lately, some through my own fault (using a .25 cal for turkeys or bad shot placement) and some not. It's been a while since I've lost my s**t that bad on a hunt. Big props to SteveO for putting up with my ranting, raving, whining and bitching. I'm still not over it, and I will need a serious attitude adjustment before the next outing. On top of everything else, the upper sling stud tore out of my Texan when I was hiking out and the gun slammed into the ground muzzle first. Sigh.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the tree. Today I was definitely the tree. I'm posting this because not every hunt is a success, things don't always go right, and disappointment and defeat make success and victory sweet when it happens. We all post our hero stories, but without some 'zero' stories the hero stories are diminished.

@steelhead707 Thank you for posting this. You sir, have posted very personal and descriptive hunting tales. In sharing stories about your successes and losses concerning these birds you’ve also answered questions openly and honestly in your posts. I have never hunted a turkey, but I am interested in learning. I feel that I can relate to some of your frustration due to similar experiences with other quarry whether game animals or fish. On the other hand, tales like this hold educational value for the uninitiated because they provide opposing context to the “hero” stories. This sort of context helps some of us to develop realistic expectations of what’s to come once we actually embark on our first turkey hunt. Sharing your experiences and frustrations is appreciated. There will be other days where you’ll spread that beautiful plumage to capture the memory for posterity before packing out a carcass to take home to clean and share with family and/or friends. 

Steelhead,

Thank you for sharing. These stories are often kept secret. They shouldn't be. Some are too embarrassed to share, or afraid. You sir are brave and honest. I know your frustration, I too have "lost my poop" we can only learn from our failures and go on. Hopefully to not repeat our mistakes. I believe others will read and not feel alone, and some may read and avoid what happened to you. This prey is tough. I have had them run from a body hit with a broad head. How can he hide with 28in of arrow still in him? Lighted nock and all? I always said some days your the windshield some days your the bug. Yours feels more right sometimes. 

Jim

Tom Hanks had a great quote in 'A league of Their Own'. When Geena Davis' character was whining about baseball being too hard, he replied, "It's supposed to be hard! It's the 'hard' the makes it great!"

Humility can bring things back down to Earth. It's easy to brag about knocking off squirrels at 200 yards, but harder to admit the reality sometimes of how humbled we can get. You never hear gamblers regaling the tales of their greatest losses, lol. You only hear about the winning hands, the big payoffs, etc. 

Head shots are easier to reconcile from the desktop than the field. I went that route and began using the FX MKII and foregoing any body shots. My patience last week paid off with a head shot on a nice tom. As he lay on the ground seemingly dead with a hole through his head, he got up and run off into some cover. I even managed to out another NSA slug into him on the way, but he still burrowed into the brush so deep that it was hopeless. And that was from a well-placed, 20 yard head shot.. 

I'm just going to head back out to my target range and make sure the Texan is still shooting straight after bouncing off of the turf and do my best to make the best shots I can. Sometimes variables just stack up and things don't work out. However, I LEARN every time I'm out and as frustrating and humbling as yesterday was, I'm taking what I learned and applying it so that I can do a better job next time. 

I've had many experiences in the field like that. In fact my first deer I ever shot was at 300 yards on the run. I should have never taken that shot and the result was horrific. The deer tripped on its own intestines and gave me a totally new outlook on shot placement. I'm very careful with shot placement as I'm sure you are but earlier last year I made a post similar to yours about a raccoon that I wounded and had to track down and kill several minutes after making a right between the eyes shot on him with a 25 cal polymag. We try to minimize these things but if you hunt all the time it just happens. Do what you can to correct the problem and if it persists maybe go to head shots. Thanks for being open about this. 

Crap happens. No matter how hard we try not to make it happen, it does.

when I went turkey hunting similar to your situation, I was going to do head shots only. Then I started reading up on bow hunting for turkey. And I looked at all of the shot angles and decided that a heart shot was better. It was interesting to look at the pictures from different angles to get to the heart. I had two One shot kills going for the heart. I actually aimed at the top of the heart knowing that if I missed I would catch the lungs. I was using a 30 caliber wolverine.

One time long ago my neighbor was dying from cancer. He had raccoons that kept coming up on top of his deck and trashing it, and eating all his bird food.

I volunteered to take care of it for him. Without doing any research on a raccoon, I shot him right between the eyes from 15 feet. This was with a Theoben Cro-Magnon 22. Plenty of juice from 15 feet. Needless to say it bounced off his head. I shot again with the same result as he was climbing down the pole from the deck grumbling.

So I checked out raccoon anatomy and figured out you can’t shoot them from the front. The next night he was down, the next night his neighbor was down. End of story. But I didn’t understand what I needed for shot placement, before I read up on it. Needless to say, I felt like an idiot. I’m sure the raccoon had a bit of a headache.

I am not saying that you did not check out your anatomical drawings…there is just not much kill zone in the head

You can also see, when he’s strutting, he doesn’t give you much of a shot.

A friend of mine showed me a picture of years ago that took shot out in Montana. It was a big Tom turkey running around with an arrow stuck through his neck. He was quite healthy.

my very first mule deer, I hit toward the back, right in his ass. He ran off. I went back out in the afternoon and waited for him…He walked by 100 yards away right at dusk. He was dead, I was lucky. So was he.

It sucks when it happens, I felt horrible. There’s nothing you can do except try your best.

mike

B191131B-7466-4B2B-8E4B-68E910CDFAC4.1649716338.png
6F0FEF0B-7EEC-4C70-BFDF-254CD8547D4C.1649716338.png

https://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2016/11/07/new-subsonic-308-bullet-lehigh-defense/

Might give that a look. I've seen upnorthairgunner using some experimental rounds as well that looked phenominal, so might think about contacting him. Also, if you want a dedicated turkey gun (I assume you do not), you may think about putting a shot barrel on your texan, and going for head/neck shots.

Mistakes happen. Even under the most optimal circumstances. Even when we do our best. We just have to try and improve, sometimes re-evaluate our strategies, and go out and do our best again.

Thanks for sharing.

Experience is the best teacher. And most lessons are learned the hard way. I have ten stories like yours for every star in the heavens. Stick with head shots and run to them soon as you hit em. Don't shoot it again, grab them and don't let go till way after it's dead. Welcome, hope you stick around unlike some you know what is true and have the integrity to speak it. This place badly needs more like you.

Kevin,

I'm glad I stumbled onto your story (and the reports of the other posts of similarly frustrating experiences of undead quarry).

Yeah, I DO appreciate your transparency and courage to share your story for us.
Makes me feel better about my own misses and supposedly-deadly-wounded-fly-offs. 😉

There's plenty to learn for me if I take the time and courage to reflect on the experiences, both mine and others'.

🔹 Here's my own recent experience 😄: How to mess up a sure shot the stupid way:
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/close-range-how-to-mess-up-a-sure-shot-the-stupid-way.1268214

Matthias