• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

For $1700, which would you buy: Impact or Maverick?

WOW, that’s a little....awkward.....

alright guys, @motorhead is a taipan “fanboy” and I’m a FX fanboy talk sh!t about my FX......are we good now? 

Back to OP’s question......if you want a simpler and potentially more reliable gun then get the Maverick, if you want more features then get the impact. My vote still goes to the impact. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

What about the trigger? I haven’t shot an Impact or a maverick but the trigger on Impact has to be slightly better no? That’s not as easily mended and may be worth the price difference for me to get the impact.

I'm not a trigger snob but I haven't found either trigger bad, I like them both even thought they feel a little different. Think I like Impact's first stage better and the Maverick breaks a little better but I haven't really tinker too much with the triggers because I like how they are out of box.

That’s how I feel about my dreamline and marauders trigger, haven’t touched them. was hoping you’d say that about the Maverick’s. 

I am gonna say the Maverick....

I have a few Impacts and they are great guns but to me they always feel a bit off in some way....

Now with the Maverick I see it as more of a blend with the MK3 Wildcat which I am a big fan of....

I like the design and can only imagine all the after market support that will be coming out soon...

I dove in deep and went with a .25 Compact tuned for 950 FPS with 25.39 BUT I also purchased a 580cc bottle as well as .25 and .30 700mm barrel kits so can mix and match and see what kind of power can be delivered but more importantly how accurately that power is delivered...

Who knows it may just be an Impact in sheeps clothing and won't impress me enough to clear out a spot in one of my safes for it but with the specs outlined by FX etc. I had to give it a try....

Now keep in mind I have not shot the Maverick as yet but have PLENTY of trigger time with my Impacts and that is where my outlook is coming from....

My 2 cents...

Dr. Mike 

I ran a post asking what to do in regards to future acquisitions. I had listed dream tac , uragan , maverick. As a result of some consultation with knowledgable friends , I find myself now heading in the direction of the impact. The decider? the wildcat "ping" that the maverick will have. Since it's a similar block where the hammer is by your ear. If you are cool with that , then the maverick has some strong play. sometimes simpler is better. 

motorhead- I also vet a taipan vet , love it to death , however , FX makes it harder to stay faithful each passing year! LOL!

I wouldn't buy the Maverick at the moment. Like the gun, but it's NEW and that usually means the manufacturing hasn't caught up with design. You can expect leaks, not such hot parts fit, and such till they work out and streamline the manufacturing. Impact is old hat, 4 years now to work out the kinks.

I'll wait till Gen 2 and let someone else work the bugs out.

I wouldn't buy the Maverick at the moment. Like the gun, but it's NEW and that usually means the manufacturing hasn't caught up with design. You can expect leaks, not such hot parts fit, and such till they work out and streamline the manufacturing. Impact is old hat, 4 years now to work out the kinks.

I have to say that, based on the feedback in this thread and what I've read in other Maverick threads, I agree with your assessment. As mentioned in my original post, I already have a couple of great shooting Impacts so I wasn't likely going to replace either one of them with a Maverick and there doesn't appear to be enough innovation in the Maverick to change that outcome. Add on top of that the other growing pains I've seen some of the owners have, the prudent decision (as often is the case) is to wait for the product to mature over time before diving in.

In general I would agree with you however this really isn't a "new" gun, outside of the chassis there isn't really any parts that are completely new! The action is wildcat MK3, first and second plenum is the wildcat/dreamline air tube with the normal inline AMP regulator moved forwarded a little, added a bottle with the dreamline bottle adapter with regulator.......in some way it's a wildcat mk3 with a bottle adapter added to the front and kept both regulators tossed in a chassis instead of the plastic stock. 

OP doesn't really have much of a choice but to wait a little because next batch is 2 months out from what I heard, however not sure if it's worth waiting for a Gen2 since all the major hardware all have been well sorted/proven. First Gen Impact definitely had a lot of teething problems but most of the Maverik "issues" I saw here on AGN hasn't been design problems from new components like the original impact. The 2 regulator did throw some people off and does take a little know how to tune.

I always wanted to try a wildcat and when MK3 came out I almost bought it because it's fully externally adjustable and they finally toss that stupid round mag they had. But I thought it could use more air capacity because the tube was small and the plenum was small so needed PP to get it shoot heavier stuff...........Then maverick came out! That's why I jumped on it as fast as I could because I knew it's an upgraded wildcat and upgraded like how I would of upgraded it too! Granted if you follow my Maverick thread I'm not exactly jumping in joy about it because I think Impact is still much better in a few ways but at 450 dollars less and it can shoot as well and accurate as the impact with proven reliable hardware? It's going to sell well without a doubt. My gripes are minor and only applicable to people who are use to Impacts and even a lot of Impact owners don't see my gripes as significant at all.