• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Follow-up to Shooting with a 12 y/o Boy.

A few of you might remember me asking for some advice last Fall about shooting with a 12 year old. That post is here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/parents-child-shooting-expectations/?referrer=1

Due to a variety of challenges, today was the first time I was able to get together with this boy to do that. It was an impromptu kind of thing, and I don't carry a cell phone with me 24/7 like most of you, so I wasn't able to take any photos to share with you, but I think it went well. Thank God, and thanks to your advice.

My health isn't all it could be, and new challenges have me on foot these days instead of riding around in a golf cart. I can't go far anymore without arranging for someone to check on me, so I used that as an excuse to say, "Hey, Max, why don't you come with me down to the gate, and maybe we can do a little shooting along the way." Of course, as a pure young boy, he was happy to oblige.

At first, I had thought to have him start out with our Benjamin Sheridan 397PA with a 4x scope. It's about his size, is very accurate at close ranges, and he has terrible eyesight, so I thought that would be the best choice for him. But when he couldn't find any way to look through the scope where he could actually see through it, we grabbed our Crosman Powermaster 760 BB/pellet gun with iron sights.

I taught him real quickly how the guns work (pumping, loading, etc.), how to aim (sight picture), and a few basic safety guidelines -- he's a bright boy, he soaked it in like a sponge -- and off we went.

I have some "simulated chipmunks" -- small pieces of painted wood -- stationed along the road for me to practice with when the real ones aren't out. We walked along the road, stopping from time to time to shoot at them.

He did pretty good, especially considering his eyesight. I knew he had poor eyesight, but I had no idea it was as bad as it is. After he used the BB gun for a bit, he switched back over to the 397PA, and things really clicked for him with it.

The most important thing is that he had a good time, and he learned a bit. All he had ever shot before was a "nurf gun", whatever that is. I had a good time, and I learned a bit, too. His father appreciated it. Two of his uncles are monks here with me, and one of them appreciated it, too. I don't think the other one even knows.

Overall, I think it was a success. I owe a good portion of that to you folks, and your advice. I've never spent time with a 12 y/o before. This was my first time. I've dealt with a lot of teenage juvenile delinquents, but never with a well behaved young boy.

Maybe next time, we can try to get some photos. No guarantees. We'll see, though.

Take care, and danke.

+Peter, hieromonk

www.TrueOrthodoxy.org

Reactions: thomasair
It's been a bit over six weeks now, my ten year old grandson got to spend a week. We had to make a trip to the rifle range to shoot .22 rifles, and most other days involved some air guns on the back patio. I have several Crosman 22xx types, mostly pistols and one 2250 rifle. He also has a Daisy single pump rifle, bb or pellet and is pretty good with it. A neighbors grandson was visiting and we got permission for him to shoot, so had two youngsters out back, one ten the other a bit over seven. They were safe, and minded well so will welcome both back anytime.