• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Follow up on tuning the RAW HM1000x (I still like the rifle, but...)

My current strategy to tune a RAW HM1000x.LRT (.30 caliber) to shoot various slugs and pellets has become somewhat of a chore. Out of the box the RAW comes tuned from the factory to shoot a specific pellet which it does very well. Tuning for other types of projectiles due to the lack of an externally adjustable regulator is inconvenient at best.

The goal is to find what regulator pressure and hammer spring tension will deliver the best precision at what velocity for each type of projectile. The OEM regulator requires you to remove the air bottle AND regulator from the action block to adjust. An option which I have done is to purchase a HUMA adjustable regulator, however, this still requires the removal of the air bottle to make the adjustment saving the need to remove it from the action body. Still having to remove the air bottle for each change wastes air and takes time and I don’t have patience in abundance.

Initially I was going to simply open either regulator to a very high pressure (say 190 bar) and provide lower pressure to the RAW air bottle from a dual regulated air gauge connected to an large external air tank. This way I can start at a lower pressure, say 140 BAR and work my way up trying various hammer spring settings. However, this does not allow a convenient way to go back and test settings at lower regulator pressures without removing the air bottle and bleeding off air pressure. Again, inconvenient and wasting air.

The solution, bypass the air bottle (remove it) and connect the external dual regulator and air supply directly to the action/barrel with additional fittings from HUMA which I purchased (see red dot 1). However, without the air bottle what would hold the gun in the front rest? I certainly don’t want to rest the barrel on the front rest.

A second concern I have is confirming what the actual air pressure is in the action/plenum and how close it relates to the indicated pressure from the external dual air regulator connected to an external tank. The installation of a digital air gauge into the action is my current solution, however, this requires the action to be tested out of an unaltered stock. This setup will allow me to note the indicated air pressures in the action/plenum that produced the best precision and at what velocity so that I can duplicate that performance when adjusting the HUMA regulator to deliver the same velocity with each projectile I’m likely to use with the digital air gauge in the action removed and the action back in the stock.

So testing the rifle out of the stock poses a challenge which along with no air bottle for support will require a method to secure the rifle in a rest. I looked into purchasing a second hand stock which I would cut off just before the digital air gauge inserted into the action. Used stocks were found in the $275 and up range, so currently that is not an option.

I’m currently working on a bid with a fabricator to make me a jig to hold the action/barrel that I can then hold in my Ransom front and rear rifle rests. Aiming the rifle is anticipated to be done using a TriggerCam camera and smart phone. Maintaining a vertical optic position will be handled by an MDT digital level mounted to the Spuhr scope mount. If I’m able to get behind the optic I may drop the use of the TriggerCam.

My rough sketch of the jig is not to scale and I don’t have any CAD software for my current Windows operating system. I have an very old version of AutoCad, but the upgrade price is not an option at this time.

My next PCP is going to have external regulators and an easier method of tuning. Believe it or not, I still like my RAW, but I’m likely to settle on one or two projectiles once found.

RAW HM1000x jig mock up 2.jpg

RAW HM1000x jig for tuning.jpg

Last edited:
You definitely are dedicated to getting the perfect slug tune, kudos to you! These RAW's are certainly one of the finest tune it and shoot it guns once tuned, but, getting there is work. I have one in .22 that, like you, wanted to be able to shoot pellets and slugs but, I wanted it on just one tune. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress! Also, FYI Bhaur here, fabricates inline and drop down plenums for RAW guns.

Day 2 shooting 36 shot group, no adjustment to factory tune. This was a fairly fast shot group.

View attachment 423878
If you're willing to throw this away just to see how well it can shoot slugs, let's trade rifles and that way you don't end up with a gun that can't shoot slugs or pellets well. You say you want to settle on a projectile, in my mind you're looking at it already.

Maybe the issue is the barrel choke and not regulator setting? RAWs are not known as slug guns.

I tried at least a half-dozen slugs in my HM1000x .30 and none of them shot very well. I stuck with pellets (and I'm fine with that because it's what I'm allowed to use in Extreme Field Target)

Last edited:
Having owned as well tuned Many Theoben & RAW rifles over many years .... Yes indeed they are best used as a single caliber platform with the appropriate set up and tune applied. They will run very well at calibers .177 thru .25 having generally as much or little power as the calibers require of them using pellets.
Start shooting slugs in .22 -.25 cal a tad more challenging as is the .30 cal overall.

IMO ...

Reactions: mubhaur
As a tinkerer, I much prefer PCPs that are adjustable. I considered/rejected the RAWs for that reason. The local airgun vendor warned me that the RAWs were not tuner friendly.

I have several PCPs (bought before I knew better) that are not adjustable and have come to the conclusion that the only practical thing to do is the find the best projectile and just go with that.

Trying to fix something that's not broken or trying to make it into something it's not is likely not going to go well.

If you want/need a versatile airgun I'd recommend buying one that's adaptable.

Good luck with you tuning!

There's a lot of "free for noncommercial use" CAD software available. Most have some restrictions, limitations or undesirable conditions imposed on their use and there's always the possibility that the license can be revoked at any time. I am learning the open source program called FreeCAD. It's powerful and capable, like most similar programs there's a steep learning curve but there's lots of tutorials. It does have some quirks and an issue that can break models but nothing that is a big problem if your aware of what causes it. I'm using FreeCAD as a design tool and a front end for my CNC router and 3d printer.

Cheers!

Reactions: BK_SouthBay
My current strategy to tune a RAW HM1000x.LRT (.30 caliber) to shoot various slugs and pellets has become somewhat of a chore. Out of the box the RAW comes tuned from the factory to shoot a specific pellet which it does very well. Tuning for other types of projectiles due to the lack of an externally adjustable regulator is inconvenient at best.

The goal is to find what regulator pressure and hammer spring tension will deliver the best precision at what velocity for each type of projectile. The OEM regulator requires you to remove the air bottle AND regulator from the action block to adjust. An option which I have done is to purchase a HUMA adjustable regulator, however, this still requires the removal of the air bottle to make the adjustment saving the need to remove it from the action body. Still having to remove the air bottle for each change wastes air and takes time and I don’t have patience in abundance.

Initially I was going to simply open either regulator to a very high pressure (say 190 bar) and provide lower pressure to the RAW air bottle from a dual regulated air gauge connected to an large external air tank. This way I can start at a lower pressure, say 140 BAR and work my way up trying various hammer spring settings. However, this does not allow a convenient way to go back and test settings at lower regulator pressures without removing the air bottle and bleeding off air pressure. Again, inconvenient and wasting air.

The solution, bypass the air bottle (remove it) and connect the external dual regulator and air supply directly to the action/barrel with additional fittings from HUMA which I purchased (see red dot 1). However, without the air bottle what would hold the gun in the front rest? I certainly don’t want to rest the barrel on the front rest.

A second concern I have is confirming what the actual air pressure is in the action/plenum and how close it relates to the indicated pressure from the external dual air regulator connected to an external tank. The installation of a digital air gauge into the action is my current solution, however, this requires the action to be tested out of an unaltered stock. This setup will allow me to note the indicated air pressures in the action/plenum that produced the best precision and at what velocity so that I can duplicate that performance when adjusting the HUMA regulator to deliver the same velocity with each projectile I’m likely to use with the digital air gauge in the action removed and the action back in the stock.

So testing the rifle out of the stock poses a challenge which along with no air bottle for support will require a method to secure the rifle in a rest. I looked into purchasing a second hand stock which I would cut off just before the digital air gauge inserted into the action. Used stocks were found in the $275 and up range, so currently that is not an option.

I’m currently working on a bid with a fabricator to make me a jig to hold the action/barrel that I can then hold in my Ransom front and rear rifle rests. Aiming the rifle is anticipated to be done using a TriggerCam camera and smart phone. Maintaining a vertical optic position will be handled by an MDT digital level mounted to the Spuhr scope mount. If I’m able to get behind the optic I may drop the use of the TriggerCam.

My rough sketch of the jig is not to scale and I don’t have any CAD software for my current Windows operating system. I have an very old version of AutoCad, but the upgrade price is not an option at this time.

My next PCP is going to have external regulators and an easier method of tuning. Believe it or not, I still like my RAW, but I’m likely to settle on one or two projectiles once found.

View attachment 423822

View attachment 423823
Why don't you just mount a vise to your shooting bench and clamp the action in that? It works very well for me and removes most variables that would affect accuracy.

If you're willing to throw this away just to see how well it can shoot slugs, let's trade rifles and that way you don't end up with a gun that can't shoot slugs or pellets well. You say you want to settle on a projectile, in my mind you're looking at it already.

Maybe the issue is the barrel choke and not regulator setting? RAWs are not known as slug guns.

I tried at least a half-dozen slugs in my HM1000x .30 and none of them shot very well. I stuck with pellets (and I'm fine with that because it's what I'm allowed to use in Extreme Field Target)

Here is my Day 1 target after unboxing my .30 caliber RAW HM1000x shooting a 9 shot group off a rest at 50 yards. No tune or adjustment whatsoever. My goal is to find additional precision with pellets and to see if I can find a slug to shoot well in .30 caliber.

View attachment 423872

1/2” at 50y outside is what most RAW users can expect with low wind. Agree with several, and my RAW HM1000x .22 is not well suited for slugs either. I tried slugs at 50 and 100 yards, and it was not as accurate as the JSB 25g redesigns. Not even close. When I had the .30 barrel, the 44g was solid at 50y and pretty good at 100y.

BK, I don’t think you are going to beat your accuracy at 50y with slugs. Don’t let that stop you from trying, and post any results with slugs.

In .22 cal and with little to no wind, I can achieve accuracy about on par with JSB Monster Redesign 25.4gr pellets at 50Y and 100Y using Altaros ATP Smooth 32.5gr slugs at 910fps. Not better, but roughly equivalent. That is the sweet spot velocity for those slugs. The slugs really shine when the wind blows 3-7mph; they don't drift much at all because they have a better BC than the pellets. The pellets are all over the place unless I guess my wind holdoff correctly.

Reactions: Ranchibi
After tuning my (3) RAW's (.177/.20, .22 & .25) I can say, it's endlessly frustrating going from pellets to slugs and back to pellets again.
Sure the FX Impact is easier to go back and forth, but guaranteed, that's frustrating too - especially when desiring great accuracy at 100 yards.

Its also been my experience that slugs don't beat pellets at 50 yards in RAW's.

I don't know if I've heard of anyone saying slugs are clearly more accurate than pellets in RAW's, so kinda beating your head against a wall.

PS: I've got about $500 worth of ZAN slugs .... waiting to do just what you areo_O.
Can you believe it :unsure:!!!

Last Summer I was able to get 1 MOA at 100 yards in .22 and .25.
I'll record those previous (pellet) setting and try only slugs this summer to see what I can get ..... besides frustration:p.

Last edited:
Reactions: mubhaur and tommyb
After tuning my (3) RAW's (.177/.20, .22 & .25) I can say, it's endlessly frustrating going from pellets to slugs and back to pellets again.
Sure the FX Impact is easier to go back and forth, but guaranteed, that's frustrating too - especially when desiring great accuracy at 100 yards.

I don't know if I've heard of anyone saying slugs are clearly more accurate than pellets in RAW's, so kinda beating your head against a wall.

PS: I've got about $500 worth of ZAN slugs .... waiting to do just what you areo_O.

I'll record those previous (pellet) setting and try only slugs this summer to see what I can get ..... besides frustration:p.
totally agree, my experience is the same. Slugs don't beat pellets ( 25.39g in my case at 940 FPS) for accuracy at 50Y and I too haven't seen/heard anyone saying slugs are more accurate in .22 HM1000x RAWs at 100Y either.

Like Kirk, I too wanted and got my RAW .22 to shoot slugs (17.5gr & 20.2gr both in .2175) as accurately as pellets at close and long distances. It took awhile as my knowledge of slugs and how to get accuracy with them was limited but a battle won too easily is too easily forgotten....😂. I found a polished barrel helps, and having a non choked barrel helps, mine is a LW non choked poly. I have found that diameter is the most important aspect for spin stabilization, then twist rate and then speed. When there is no wind while pesting for starlings or ground squirrels, pellets are perfect even at long distance (110yd ground squirrel taken with 18gr) but, when there is wimd, slugs cut thru the wind and POI shift is not nearly as much. I do think slugs have their place with PCP's especially when conditions dictate. They definitely take much more care when shooting than pellets, pellets to me are so much more forgiving as far as a proper sight picture, slugs, if I am off with my sight pic just a smidge, POI will be off, but, if I am on my game, accuracy is the same as pellets (I work on this daily). Slugs are A LOT of work, but worth it in my humble opinion...ask Spiralgroove! 😂

Slugs are A LOT of work, but worth it in my humble opinion...ask Spiralgroove! 😂
Well Randy,
At this point I'm not sure if their worth it - accuracy wise :whistle:.

It seems the best slug shooting occurs when the slugs dia. is just a whisker smaller than the bore. This cannot really happen in most RAW's because they simply do not have the (plenum) power to shoot tight fitting slugs at required velocities.
Further, at lower velocities a Poly barrel's rifling (design) doesn't impart enough spin to ideally stablize slugs.

However, last Summer I only shot Pellets - this Summer -> all Slugs;).
We'll see what happens.

Why don't you just mount a vise to your shooting bench and clamp the action in that? It works very well for me and removes most variables that would affect accuracy.
I've given that some thought and looked at vises with adjustable bases, used about $350.00. Still looking at various options which includes ordering an Epic Two :)