• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Huben [follow up] 2 different methods for degassing the GK1 (explosive disassembly?)

So, there are 4 different ways you can degas and the one I used in that video was the same one Huben themselves demonstrated in a previous YouTube showing how to replace the open valve seal. This method is the quickest, I wanted the video to be short, and this method isn’t possible with a jammed projectile or lower than needed air pressure to “fire”. My second choice would be the brass flat head screw under the loading gate. My third choice would be the silver set screw under the air probe fill on the GK1 where the check valve is located. And my last or never choice would be the torx screw at the top of the receiver. Why - because there is no o-ring on this screw and after loosened you can get a slow leak. In 2 instances I have repaired the owner tried to “fix” the slow leak by over tightening the torx screw and in 1 instance sheared it off and in the second instance stripped the threads in the top receiver block. Both were costly repairs.

So, there are 4 different ways you can degas and the one I used in that video was the same one Huben themselves demonstrated in a previous YouTube showing how to replace the open valve seal. This method is the quickest, I wanted the video to be short, and this method isn’t possible with a jammed projectile or lower than needed air pressure to “fire”. My second choice would be the brass flat head screw under the loading gate. My third choice would be the silver set screw under the air probe fill on the GK1 where the check valve is located. And my last or never choice would be the torx screw at the top of the receiver. Why - because there is no o-ring on this screw and after loosened you can get a slow leak. In 2 instances I have repaired the owner tried to “fix” the slow leak by over tightening the torx screw and in 1 instance sheared it off and in the second instance stripped the threads in the top receiver block. Both were costly repairs.

Thanks Kelly.... more lessons learned.

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated! I think I’ll stick with method two or three. With every other PCP I’ve owned other than an L2, degassing was always performed by loosening the pressure gauge so I was a little confused.

For both option 2 and 3 brass flat head screw and 4mm silver bottom set screw, I would recommend very slow 1/4 turn increments and both of these will start to bleed at about 1 3/4 turn point. Always keep these pointed away from
your face while slowly unthreading and stopping to listen for the escaping air at each 1/4 turn move. Regarding the “designed to bleed” comment - both these have o-rings on them that can be replaced easily - so they are more designed to be used for bleed off than the top of receiver block torx screw which has no o-ring.