• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fly shooters anonymous

Most every Wednesday is our shootfest day at my friends place which is basically a private shooting range. We shoot all kinds of guns including firearms. This is his back shooting porch. My buds and I discovered that it was Fly season yesterday! Last week they were few and far between but numbers increased significantly for this week.

10 yards away is an old box that we put paper targets on. But we left the target off this time and threw beer and cherry coke on the box as well as the old metal sign it sits on. Yes in our arid northern Arizona climate flies love beer and when they smell the splattered parts of their comrades they flock in to feast even more! The four of us shot Flies of different sizes all afternoon. Sometimes taking turns and spotting for each other, sometimes it was who could get to the fly the fastest, and we played games like who could shoot the legs off, or other body parts, etc, kinda funny seeing a fly head laying on the table for posterity and bait, lol. 

On that bench is Randy's Daystate Regal in 17 cal at 18 fpe, Bobby's Daystate Delta Wolf in 25 cal slowed to 700 fps, my Steyr ProX in 22 cal at 30 fpe, and John's CZ200 17 cal in 6fpe. Only $11,000 worth of guns and scopes to shoot flies on a sunny afternoon, not bad, right??!! 😄

Of course my recently purchased semiauto Steyr was a bit like cheating! BTW I had the new Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 which made for an excellent fly shooter. 

20210407_163325.1617891532.jpg

Fun Times 😁 ... how many hours and flies do you suppose that was. Shooting them with my FWB 600 was fun... but didn't seem like I got much chance , with all the scopes being used. Had to break out the big boy. Kings at 700 fps was pretty cool. Shot most of a tin on a single fill. Seemed to be still accurate at 50 and even hit the 2" bell at 100 reasonably well.

Some SERIOUS competition going on there..... 😂

Bob

Fun Times
1f601.svg
... how many hours and flies do you suppose that was. Shooting them with my FWB 600 was fun... but didn't seem like I got much chance , with all the scopes being used. Had to break out the big boy. Kings at 700 fps was pretty cool. Shot most of a tin on a single fill. Seemed to be still accurate at 50 and even hit the 2" bell at 100 reasonably well.

Some SERIOUS competition going on there.....
1f602.svg

Bob

Probably 5 hours and a couple hundred flies. 

Of course it's the social aspect among friends that makes for half of the fun. We're glad you came up to shoot with us! Hope to see more of you now that it's warmer. 

I just want to say.

Folks at my work , my friends and some family members and even acquaintances on a local firearm forum. All think I’m crazy for all the effort I put in to shooting rats and mice in my back yard. If I shared the idea of this fly shooting game. They would have me committed. 
I love it ! Sounds like great fun.
1f44d.svg

🪰
1f997.svg
🦟🪳

If they tried both types of AG hunting at least once they might change their minds!

Have shot flys here at 30 yards and is great fun but my target of choice Bug wise is shooting wood bees out of the air at aprox 14 yards. They are always wanting to bore into the facia on my tool shed that is out my rear window, the fact that they're moving adds to the challenge. It's also a good thing that they're a bit bigger than flys and they kinda fly in a slow hover.💥💥💥😆