• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
I have been shooting my new to me 300 with peep sights and getting fliers frequently. I figured it was just me even though a lot of times the shot felt good, all my shooting has been on a good solid bench off bags. The pellets are AA 7.87’s, washing and a lube job seems to have helped some but still have them from time to time.

I put a scope on the rifle yesterday and got to shoot for about 30 minutes. With the scope I can see the pellets in flight. I had a couple shots that looked like a good curve ball breaking right before it gets to the plate, thus my fliers. The pellets have been sorted by head size and the skirts inspected. The gun is on bags and a very light grip with the trigger hand, a light touch is all it takes to break the shot. There was no wind.

What causes the fliers?

Thanks.

+1 sonny. Justin, how fast are the pellets leaving the gun? The pellet may be running out of stability toward the end of the flight. Can you shoot another 10-15 yards and see if there is a corresponding increase in the .number of curve balls?

Heavier pellets will remain more stable, but will not be as fast and therefore more pellet drop on the way to the target.

Pellet weight is one thing. Weight distribution is another.

Pellets are mass produced and we can't be sure that they are uniform throughout. Maybe one or two in 25 could have a larger supply of lead on one side and still be the proper weight or even have a skirt that is lopsided. That would most likely lead to a flyer.

When my rifle isn't stacking at 40 yards, I know there is phantom wind blowing even if I can't see it. I will walk the course and sure enough get hit with gusts that don't or hardly move the trees.