• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Fliers-at then end of my wits

Even professional golfer get the "yips".... Sorry we can't help you. Wish you could just shoot for enjoyment for a week or so and not get too worked up over the slight imperfections. I switch back to shooting steel when I can't get those tight little groups. I love to hear the ziiip-crack so much that sometime I line the shot up then close my eyes so I can concentrate on the sound alone.

Hope you can get your groove back, Stella.

For now I can only offer one more piece of advice and it aligns with what mtnghost said. When I dialed in my Impact, everything is measured and recorded. Even everything barrel related. My liner position, liner tension nut position and my shroud torque. Since I highly doubt liner position, indexing, is your problem, try a little more and a little less torque on the liner tension screw/nut or whatever you want to call it. It is ridiculous that we should have to obsess over all this stuff but that’s the hand we were dealt with this gun. The guys who don’t want to obsess over 20 things just buy Crickets, Taipans, Edguns and so on and live happily ever after.

Yes, fliers with pellets. Putting the whole project aside until my good scope comes in. Yes, I've written everything down including barrel nut tension, and have varied the tightness of the shroud as well. You should see my notes. It's ridiculous, almost embarrassing, all the stuff I've done and recorded. Really hard to believe this is the 'yips' when the fliers are so wild, but we'll see when the scope comes back. For now, no mas.

It is ridiculous that we should have to obsess over all this stuff but that’s the hand we were dealt with this gun.

The guys who don’t want to obsess over 20 things just buy Crickets, Taipans, Edguns and so on and live happily ever after.

Frank, 😊

I really appreciate someone as accomplished as you are to be so honest about my dream gun.

When I go to bed tonight I'll read your comment again — maybe it will help me to switch out my dream.👍🏼

Matthias

Yanno, if this were a wood stocked rifle I'd think there was a bedding problem. Something is pressing on that barrel and it's not happy. Maybe the barrel assembly is bent. When I first removed the shroud it sure took a lot of torque. Maybe I bent the sleeve? Looks straight to me but who knows. I do feel a tight spot where the O-rings grab when reinserting the liner, about 1/2-2/3 way down. Can a new sleeve be had, or do I have to buy a whole barrel kit?

Another thing: the front barrel block. The one the long screws at the front of the top plate pass through. There is only one rubber ball at the front of the loading block, and it presses on the lower left corner of the front barrel block. So maybe it's torquing the barrel. I just tried reassembling with the barrel in place and the breech open, and all top plate screws firmly home before closing the breech. Either one of those problems would give me fliers with both pellets and slugs, and with different liners. We'll see tomorrow.

It is ridiculous that we should have to obsess over all this stuff but that’s the hand we were dealt with this gun.

The guys who don’t want to obsess over 20 things just buy Crickets, Taipans, Edguns and so on and live happily ever after.

Frank,
1f60a.svg

I really appreciate someone as accomplished as you are to be so honest about my dream gun.

When I go to bed tonight I'll read your comment again — maybe it will help me to switch out my dream.
1f44d-1f3fc.svg

Matthias

Hey, this is the second Impact I’ve owned. I won’t bash it but it’s not a gun for everyone. The idea of an Impact can be more wonderful than the reality of an Impact. It’s like this in many hobbies. Some people like complicated good things while others like simple good things.

See the wear spot on the barrel sleeve?

wear spot.1617499221.jpg

Out of the gun. There's no corresponding spot on the opposite side of the sleeve.

wear spot 2.1617499291.jpg

The transfer port end is on the right in the second pic. With a straightedge against the sleeve and held up against a light, there's a fine line of light visible from the TP end forward, til the point of that wear mark. From there it widens. Sleeve diameter is the same measured over the wear spot and 90 degrees from it. The sleeve is bent, but it wasn't noticeable until I'd taken it in and out of the gun enough times to wear a spot. I'm sure I bent it as I struggled to remove the shroud the first time, about a month ago when I did a CF sleeve on my pellet liner. I've emailed FX about buying a new sleeve instead of a whole barrel kit. Meanwhile I clamped it in a padded vise right at the wear point, after removing liner and liner nut, and gently cranked it, a bit at a time, comparing to the straightedge, until the light line is even. Maybe like a poorly bedded barrel in a wood stock, it was causing fliers. Slides back in the gun easily. If the weather is kind, I'll know tomorrow.

After more straightening. Tiny breeze just beginning from 9:30. I fired when flags were all still. I think she's back, and any further improvements will have to come from tuning and technique. This group was five rounds at 70 yds with unsorted H&N 23 gr slugs, so sorting by weight as I did before may also help. If I can get a new barrel sleeve I'll slap it in there.

Also, Vetmx and others: the bend was more pronounced when the liner nut was at my usual degree of tightness, and less when looser, but still significant. After straightening the bend does not worsen when I tighten, but I will experiment. I never cranked down hard on the nut anyway, but if there's a bend then excess tightness will certainly exacerbate it.

straightened.1617544218.jpg

After more straightening. Tiny breeze just beginning from 9:30. I fired when flags were all still. I think she's back, and any further improvements will have to come from tuning and technique. This group was five rounds at 70 yds with unsorted H&N 23 gr slugs, so sorting by weight as I did before may also help. If I can get a new barrel sleeve I'll slap it in there.

Also, Vetmx and others: the bend was more pronounced when the liner nut was at my usual degree of tightness, and less when looser, but still significant. After straightening the bend does not worsen when I tighten, but I will experiment. I never cranked down hard on the nut anyway, but if there's a bend then excess tightness will certainly exacerbate it.

straightened.1617544218.jpg

Nice to see that you got it figured out. How tight (I know it's hard to judge) would you say was too tight in your case. Do you think tightening the barrel nut caused the initial problem?