Flex in the big Texans

I have had very mixed results in regards of accuracy while shooting my Texan.
When i have a good day and are calm it shoots like a laser, when im skittish and cant repeat a correct hold it will scatter.
I know All Ya'll can get the Texan: https://www.airforceairguns.com/AirForce-Airguns-Thumbhole-Accessory-Bar-p/u1015.htm
But get it here and it will be made of gold :-(

So i messed in the shop and a little time with an axe and i made this mockup/proof of concept.
Tuesday it will go to the range and hopefully proof my point that the Texan frame flexes badly under recoil.

DSCN0059 s.jpg

DSCN0060 s.jpg

DSCN0062 s.jpg

DSCN0063 s.jpg

DSCN0064 s.jpg

They all flex a bit..but certainly that bag rider should help a lot .. I sold my Texans but kept 2 hp condors..for bullet shooting there is nothing better..for now.. I was thinking on buying a sabertactical bag rider to make it fit.to deal with the flex..mine both have big bottles .Imagine the is not helping either..but still pretty accurate..

View attachment 20220618_111217.jpg

My 50 isn't consistent. It is much better with a regular stock. It has a lot of recoil and vibrations with those large spring and hammer. Without me changing out the barrel to custom lapped barrel I pretty much did everything I could do to make it accurate in stock form. I'm not real impressed with lother wather barrels. There not like a true bench rest barrel like a Krieger Hart Broughton Benchmark ect. I can say mine is accurate but not consistent . About 2 moa at 125 yards. My barrel cleans up much better after air lapping with 600 grit compound. I also put a .250 thick carbon sleeve to make my barrel stiff full 1 inch. I have a 3 inch wide bench rest stock to add next. Then saving up for a Africans Air Ordinance upgrade and custom benchmark barrel one day hopefully😀. One step at a time. I'm going to shoot mine today.

Yeah sorry for dragging my heels.
That little bit of scaffolding halved my groups easy :)
Now i'm closer to 2MOA as you are. Before it was more like 4-5MOA.
Removed most all flex in the frame and really cut down on unexpected flyers.
Just hit the button on a Zeus .72 with 32" barrel, so my AAO kit will have to wait to after X-mas.

Ponder this:
Airforce can sell a whole airgun for what you are expected to pay for a premium barrel in the rough!
LW has to cut corners to sell a finished 32" barrel for what? $75 tops?
If it takes 30seconds to button rifle a match barrel and they can cut that to 1/3'rd then they can deliver 3 times as many barrels at the end of the day. Time is money.

Dont be fooled AI now only supply their rifles with LW barrels.
So they are'nt all "bad"

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I have had very mixed results in regards of accuracy while shooting my Texan.
When i have a good day and are calm it shoots like a laser, when im skittish and cant repeat a correct hold it will scatter.
I know All Ya'll can get the Texan: https://www.airforceairguns.com/AirForce-Airguns-Thumbhole-Accessory-Bar-p/u1015.htm
But get it here and it will be made of gold :-(

So i messed in the shop and a little time with an axe and i made this mockup/proof of concept.
Tuesday it will go to the range and hopefully proof my point that the Texan frame flexes badly under recoil.

View attachment 271209

View attachment 271210

View attachment 271211

View attachment 271212

View attachment 271213
I have purchased a maddog stock to help with my flex

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I'm glad to hear things worked out😀 . You're stock fix doesn't add much weight like regular stocks do. I'm pretty spoiled on barrels from my bench rest past. One in ten regular grade barrels make me happy😀. My barrel was rough air lapping 600 grit compound dramatically helped with leading. Good barrels are expensive a 34 inch stainless benchmark barrel 1 inch diameter 50 cal is $450.00. The AEA Zeus route is much cheaper than Airforce Texan and a AAO upgrade. AAO upgrade $500.00 4500psi Cf tank $165.00. $450.
O0 for a barrel ect. If you have a lathe it looks pretty easy to install a barrel on the Zeus. Big barrel nut !!!!Nice...... To me it looks like if you tether the Zeus at 3625psi like the Texan that they perform very well........ Lee should have a few cheap molds and sizeing die for the .72 right . keep us informed.

I'm glad to hear things worked out😀 . You're stock fix doesn't add much weight like regular stocks do. I'm pretty spoiled on barrels from my bench rest past. One in ten regular grade barrels make me happy😀. My barrel was rough air lapping 600 grit compound dramatically helped with leading. Good barrels are expensive a 34 inch stainless benchmark barrel 1 inch diameter 50 cal is $450.00. The AEA Zeus route is much cheaper than Airforce Texan and a AAO upgrade. AAO upgrade $500.00 4500psi Cf tank $165.00. $450.
O0 for a barrel ect. If you have a lathe it looks pretty easy to install a barrel on the Zeus. Big barrel nut !!!!Nice...... To me it looks like if you tether the Zeus at 3625psi like the Texan that they perform very well........ Lee should have a few cheap molds and sizeing die for the .72 right . keep us informed.
Nah.
Lee has a mould but it's for sitting in a shotcup and only measures .688" ish.
Noone makes a commercial .729" sizer so i will have to make one from a piece of 12 gauge barrel.
No worries i have lathe and mill so i'm good with making tidbits.
Mould will be from Tom at accuratemolds.com
Vincent at Airgun Exporter has ordered a Zeus, a barrel band from Black Arts and a Great Kami from Donny FL.
I plan on making an adapter for the Kami for my Texan