• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fixed vs variable power

So let say I have a buddy that just ordered a scope, and he theoretically order by accident a fixed power 10x50, when in fact his big fat fingers meant to push the button and buy a 4x16 with a 30mm tube and an adjustable objective. What would be the down fall of keeping the fixed power, and what would the advantage of sending it back and exchanging it for the variable power. 
While we are at it lets just say that my buddy became very excited when the package arrived at his door and opened said package (the only "damage" being the clear plastic wrap on the outside of the package ) and wasn't sure if the return was going to cost him an additional 25% restocking fee. My buddy has attempted to contact the company that he bought the scope from but hasn't been able to get ahold of them yet to find out if a stocking fee will be applied to his return. What are halls experiences with fixed power scopes and air rifles?
Thanks
Fat Fingers