Fixed power scope on benjamin bulldog with pitbull power tune

PCP newb here.

So, I understand that you have to be careful with getting the right scope for a break barrel pellet gun.

Does this rule of thumb apply to a Benjamin bulldog pcp with Pitbull power tune?

Reason I ask is I have an old fixed-power 4x40 scope that I think will perform better in low light than the 4x20 or whatever scopes that seem to be all the rage. I am also considering the FX-3 6x42 from Leopold. These have I think a 9' or 15' foot field of view at 50 yards, respectively.

I've got a coyote coming too close to my home, causing my dog that is kenneled at night to alert. I'm not planning on any shooting beyond 50 yards.

Thanks for any tips

Pcp’s do no recoil. Powerful Breakbarrels/springrifles can recoil hence and forth violently and can cause traditional powderburner scopes to fail.

An old 4x40 may serve you well for the purpose you describe. I have a weaver k4 4x38 that works very well on my r5 .30 for similar distances. Lightweight, very clear, and I can hit an 1.5 inch target offhand at 45 yards most of the time…

Consider parallax and parallax issues when choosing your scope. It get worse with higher magnifications. At 4x it usually does not seem much of an issue. At 6x it may, I believe the fx3 6x42 is set at 100yards?

Reactions: bd2021
Spring piston and gas piston guns recoil differently than PCPs. They have a back and forth type of motion, as described above when they recoil, that destroys scopes by the thousands. Your PCP can use just about any scope as it recoils only back like a firearm and most scopes are made to handle that type of recoil without problems.

Reactions: bd2021