• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Five Week Test with my MK 3 .25

DBlue

Dec 14, 2022
USA
I had seen a few posts that some people were having POI problems with their M3 Impacts when they have been sitting for a while not being used. I've been letting my M3 sit for a week at a time without shooting it and then I shoot it every Sunday morning for the past five weeks, just to see if there is any impact change from it just sitting. This morning was the fifth week and I'm happy to say that it has not changed at all. I've been shooting it each week at 50 yards, I shoot two rounds in the backboard and then shoot a bullseye with the remaining 23 shots and I have not touched the scope and every time it just makes a large hole in the bullseye.....I think I have a good tune on it now....:)

IMG_5079.jpg

My memory may be failing on this but I think that the slow first shots/POI shifting are associated with the use of higher reg pressures. I had my M3 tuned below the knee at high reg pressure to deliver a short burst of air for slugs. It would take 3-6 shots to come up to speed after sitting overnight. After getting the Panthera for slug shooting, the M3 was dedicated to pellets with a low pressure tune and the “cold start” issues are gone. Of course, with a tune on the knee, variance in hammer, valve stiction or reg creep has less effect on shot speed.

My memory may be failing on this but I think that the slow first shots/POI shifting are associated with the use of higher reg pressures. I had my M3 tuned below the knee at high reg pressure to deliver a short burst of air for slugs. It would take 3-6 shots to come up to speed after sitting overnight. After getting the Panthera for slug shooting, the M3 was dedicated to pellets with a low pressure tune and the “cold start” issues are gone. Of course, with a tune on the knee, variance in hammer, valve stiction or reg creep has less effect on shot speed.
That's the reason this gun is set with 115 bar, I set it up for pellets only with no desire to shoot slugs with it. I'm going to buy another rifle to set up for slugs only when I decide on which one I'm going to buy....:)

Reactions: HogKiller
Are these pellets? Barrel tensioner kit for slugs? And JB weld we’re? New to this. I have .25 m3 700 tensioner kit with a Donny shooting slugs and not doing this. Just inquiring 🤨
Yes, these are pellets....I set this gun up just for pellets, I don't shoot any slugs with it. The small diameter carbon fiber sleeve that is sold for the barrel liner that goes into the steel barrel housing, I bonded the barrel liner to the carbon fiber sleeve with JB Weld epoxy, some people just slide it over the liner and use it like that...but, in my opinion I think it makes the liner stiffer if it's epoxied on the liner.

I figured out real soon after getting this rifle that to get one to shoot slugs to my standard of accuracy, is like going down a deep rabbit hole.....I'm not saying you can't get them to shoot slugs accurately, but I would be willing to bet that the ones that have, they probably spent more on trying different slugs and changing parts etc. etc. that you could buy another rifle that's better suited for shooting slugs for a lot less money and aggravation....:)

Thanks.....I deleted the first reg. and installed the Saber Tactical reg delete fitting....the 2cd reg is at 115 bar, I'm shooting the JSB 33.95 MK 2's....900fps. 700mm barrel standard liner with the tension barrel sleeve JB Welded on, carbon fiber tension outer sleeve....here's some pics.......:)
Interesting.

I had an FX Maverick .22 a while back and sold it. It was also a dual regulator rifle.

I currently have an FX Dreamline .22/.177 (currently my only FX PCP). It has 500mm “liners” with the carbon sleeve stiffeners on both the .177 & .22 liners.

It will be interesting to see whether FX continues with any dual regulator rifles. As regulator design continues in refinement, perhaps dual regulation is not necessary.

If FX sold an original Smooth Twist steel barrel (like on their Royales) for my Dreamline, I’d jump on it.

It could be that the dual regulation and thin liner barrels may turn out to be a point-in-time design - when FX was moving their focus from pellet shooting to slug shooting. Certainly, the inexpensive liners are more cost effective to swap out when you are a slug shooter looking for the right setup.

Last edited:
Seems to be holding its zero! Am curious why the 2 shots in the backboard before? I think that's the issue people talk about is the first shot or 2? Where do your first 2 shots hit? Your other ones are definitely doing just fine.
I would shoot the first two in the backboard to just wake up the regulator....I have no idea where they would hit as I never shot them on target and never looked through the scope when I fired them. I will shoot them on target the next time I shoot it just to see for myself, if they don't hit dead center it's not going to bother me as I can live with the way it is now.

I would shoot the first two in the backboard to just wake up the regulator....I have no idea where they would hit as I never shot them on target and never looked through the scope when I fired them. I will shoot them on target the next time I shoot it just to see for myself, if they don't hit dead center it's not going to bother me as I can live with the way it is now.
Yeah I'm curious! And I'm not trying to call you out at all by the way, the reg delete and low reg pressure makes me wonder if it helps with the slower first shots or not.

Yeah I'm curious! And I'm not trying to call you out at all by the way, the reg delete and low reg pressure makes me wonder if it helps with the slower first shots or not.
I would definitely say that deleting the first reg. and setting the pressure lower has improved this rifle for sure...I should have mentioned in my first post that I was having the problem of after the gun would sit idle for any period that it would take several shots to get it back where it was shooting the same before letting it sit. From everything I've read about other people having these problems with the stiction of that o-ring, it seems it's worse when shooting them with higher pressures....that's what led me to try lowering the pressure to see if it made it better and so far it seems it has. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and shoot the whole magazine full on a target to see if the first shots hit the point of aim.

Reactions: Dairyboy