• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First whitetail

Hey guys, just wanted to report in on my first whitetail. I shot a doe yesterday afternoon. I have been deer hunting the past couple of years with a bow, but decided to start trying with my airgun this year. I have hunted mostly public land, but I know a guy with 10 acres that lets me share it with his neighbor to hunt. Have to take doe here on private land, so lucky to have this spot. I have seen tons of doe on public land this year, but no bucks yet.

I grew up hunting mostly ducks and snipe here in Florida. Have killed some hogs and various other things. I went Elk and Mule deer hunting 25 years ago out west with my dad but never managed to get anything. Started my self guided whitetail hunting a few years ago and I am hopefully starting to learn the ropes.

Last night was the last day of doe season here in my area. My 16 year old and I were in a 2 man stand. After a few hours of sitting in the afternoon, 3 doe came out of the woods around 5:30 pm and were about 40 yards away. I was hunting with my .40 Badger running helium and about 600 fpe shooting a 220 grain slug, while my son had my .357 Hatsan Hercules at about 140 fpe shooting a 84 grain slug. We counted to 3 and I shot. My son had a mix up on getting his safety off somehow and he did not shoot. He was pretty upset, but you live and learn. He could have had a follow up shot as 4 more deer came out of the woods and couple stopped for a few seconds and looked around. He also had his scope zoomed in to 14x and he could not find the deer. I had told him to use a lower power, but I don't think he quite understood what I was trying to tell him. By the time he dialed the scope back, the deer were gone. Again, lesson learned.

My deer took the hit and mule kicked. She ran about 40-50 yards and started wobbling. A circle or two later and she dropped. I think she was about 90 lbs. My son and I loaded her up and took her back to the house. We had watched some youtube videos on how to process a deer, so we spent a couple hours cutting her up. She is now in my Yeti, covered in ice. It is nice to have some success after a rough couple years of trying.

IMG_0340.1606237511.jpeg

IMG_0342.1606237530.jpeg

Nice going! Love to see people taking large game with the air rifle.

IMHO the best processing videos on You Tube are by The Bearded Butchers. If you put them on ice, I've found it best to bag them and keep them out of the water. You never see gray, waterlogged beef at the store, do you? I just age them a bit in the fridge like RTR above. Enjoy your venison!

Congratulations,on your deer. You have a lot to be proud of there. And good for you, you have found hunting with a Airgun that we can tell you enjoy. You now have a freezer filled with Venison harvested with memories and time that’s priceless spending time with your son.And bringing the younger generation into the hunting world is awesome, here in Michigan I’ve read that deer hunting is down as much as 40% from the peak in hunting licenses sold 20 years ago. Hopefully many more successful seasons to come for you. Thank you for sharing. Northernairhead 

Thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate it.

One good thing that has developed out of this, is that my 16 year old son is now more driven to get a deer and my 14 year old son is more interested in going hunting with us.

Both boys took their Hunter safety course a couple years ago together, but my younger son had not been as interested to go hunting. He was hanging around the whole time we were butchering the deer and he asked me when he could start hunting with us. That’s progress, because I tried to get him to go with us two years ago and he didn’t want to.

We may wait till the winter and try to do some hog hunting with him. I am not sure he can hold still long enough to get a shot at a deer yet. 

Congratulations!!.... Now go for a big buck!

That is the plan! We went out again today, hunting public land. My son saw a doe, but we can only take bucks on public so the hunt goes on. At least he was eager to get up at 3:30 am and get going. Most kids don't want to get off the couch these days, let alone battle the mosquitos at 4 am ...