First Time Sorting Pellets By Weight

I decided to take a shot at pellet sorting by weight. Watched the boot camp video that Chris from Airguns of Arizona did then I took about a half tin of .25 FX 34 grain pellets, washed them then began sorting. I used Chris's method of separating the pellets by .05 grain difference, plus or minus .02 grains. The photo below shows the spread. I was surprised to see the results. I expected to see one large number of pellets in the middle weight range and just a few trailing off lighter and heavier. My question is this - is keeping the .05 grain difference within each group really critical, or would the same results be gotten if the spread within a group is, maybe .10 grains or more? What weight difference within a group of pellets begins to affect accuracy? Thanks for any input!
View attachment 297963
Here’s my latest sort - down the rabbit hole! Five tins of JSB .25 King Heavy 33.95 grain.

2866FB98-8CC2-4656-9461-8C9B71B54681.jpeg

MikeAllen,
Check out my YouTube channel,
Fieldtargettech.com, I have several videos on the different processes that I go to and use for sorting pellets. I go into washing and lubing, weighing, rolling, checking and sorting headsize, and resizing. I'm not a good cinematographer, but it's the information that I feel is important.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
MikeAllen,
Check out my YouTube channel,
Fieldtargettech.com, I have several videos on the different processes that I go to and use for sorting pellets. I go into washing and lubing, weighing, rolling, checking and sorting headsize, and resizing. I'm not a good cinematographer, but it's the information that I feel is important.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
I will check it out - thank you!

You have guys that look at each pellet with a micrometer and use precision gram scale for sorting weights. Then, you have a guy that shows you 25 meter, one hole groups, using pellets straight from the tin! Damn!

Life - is - not - fair!
Hello @JEFROX

I completely understand and agree. I almost always shoot right out of the Tin and experience good days and bad days shooting :oops: but generally not from the same Tin. Not all Tins are created equal and I just experienced one example. I had shot pretty good for several days with my Crown using JSB MRD 13.43 and turned in a good card on the 30 Yard Challenge. I ran out of that Tin and tried to shoot some 25-yard MOA targets the next day and the target looked like it had been shot with a 410 shotgun :ROFLMAO:. I open a new Tin and shot some great scores. Life is a random mix of good luck and bad luck with these pellet guns :(

Have a great day,
ThomasT

I received the Trrobb pellet sizer, I had to rework it a bit to touch up some details first, and now works pretty well to my liking.
The .22 MRD's ready to resize.
Pushed some pellets into rifling (FX liner) and looks like the lands are about 5.51-5.515 and the 5.52 shall be a good fit.
In meantime winter is at my door, not really liking the idea freezing my bottom @ my 100 meter range to test it. Any shorter distance doesn't really make much sense.

Reactions: ThomasT
I personally enjoy the whole airgunning process. I shoot out of the tin and I shoot sorted pellets. Sometimes I enjoy the pellet sorting process, sometimes I don't. I get great results both ways, probably fewer fliers with sorted pellets, but still get fliers with sorted pellets. I also enjoy messing with my FX Impact M3 - some would call it tuning. Helps me learn more about the gun and also how the environment affects the process. The one thing I don't enjoy is fixing/repairing compressors - I hate that part. The one thing I try to remind myself of - is to do each day what I enjoy. Some days I just take a nap.

I personally enjoy the whole airgunning process. I shoot out of the tin and I shoot sorted pellets. Sometimes I enjoy the pellet sorting process, sometimes I don't. I get great results both ways, probably fewer fliers with sorted pellets, but still get fliers with sorted pellets. I also enjoy messing with my FX Impact M3 - some would call it tuning. Helps me learn more about the gun and also how the environment affects the process. The one thing I don't enjoy is fixing/repairing compressors - I hate that part. The one thing I try to remind myself of - is to do each day what I enjoy. Some days I just take a nap.
Hello @MikeAllen

More naps for this ole dude :sleep: and HEAVY on only doing what I enjoy and makes me happy :D

ThomasT

Hello @JEFROX

I completely understand and agree. I almost always shoot right out of the Tin and experience good days and bad days shooting :oops: but generally not from the same Tin. Not all Tins are created equal and I just experienced one example. I had shot pretty good for several days with my Crown using JSB MRD 13.43 and turned in a good card on the 30 Yard Challenge. I ran out of that Tin and tried to shoot some 25-yard MOA targets the next day and the target looked like it had been shot with a 410 shotgun :ROFLMAO:. I open a new Tin and shot some great scores. Life is a random mix of good luck and bad luck with these pellet guns :(

Have a great day,
ThomasT
Do you find that various lots/tins shoot better than others? So if you find a tin is shooting really well in a good condition, then you set it aside for a match?

David

Reactions: ThomasT
I sort for competition day . as in that day i shoot only same head size and same weight . if the sorted tin is 4.51 head size and weight is 8.67 then ALL the pellets that day are the same . tomorrow it could be 4.52 head size and 8.64 but again ALL the same that day.

EDIT it might not make any difference but it is one less thing to think about if / when i miss .

Last edited:
Do you find that various lots/tins shoot better than others? So if you find a tin is shooting really well in a good condition, then you set it aside for a match?

David
Hello @dgeesaman

Yes no doubt in my mind that some Tins are a LOT better than others.
But no I do not set "a" Tin aside but I should. I just finished off another Tin of the JSB MRD 13.43 and they shot real well, no fliers that I can remember in the whole Tin ( 400 pellets ), see I should have set that one aside :(.

ThomasT

Reactions: dgeesaman
This has been my complaint since I started shooting pellets (and slugs) seriously. I could understand JSB (or others) stating "approximate average weight 34 grains" or something similar. But to advertise 6.35 weight implies that pellets weigh 6.35 grains. But that has never been true in my experience. In fact the bin with this size is often the one with the least pellets. Same goes for head size. I have bought tins of JSB pellets in 22 with stated head size of 5.52 and none of them measured 5.52 - they were mostly 5.53-5.55. I have no idea where they get their measurements from.
Mike, Regarding weighing your pellets. Does your scale measure in Grains and Grams? If so, and you want to get better weights go to the grams and you get one additional decimal position. Or 10 additional weights per pellet weight.
Gets even better if you have a scale that measures in x.xx grains--x.xxx grams.
Centerfire

I haven't done my weight sorting, read this mostly to learn. But I did investigate the variability in some 25 caliber JSBs I had on hand when I was trying to cast my own with a NOE mold. I was surprised by the weight variability I saw in pellets that shot well. It was greater than the variability in my cast pellets. So I am not surprised the OP saw a grain difference in a tin.

I messed around with head size variability for my P35-177. I got curious because I had a tin of Crosman 10.5s that shot as well as H&N Baracuda 10.65s. So I bought a couple more tins of the Crosmans and they shot much worse. I guessed head size, bought a Pellet gage and took enough data to convince myself that was the culprit. I only had less than 20 of the "good tin" of pellets so I measured their head size and 20 of the new tins plus some of my H&Ns. I have not shot JSBs in this gun (my other P35s like H&N better so I'm assuming the 177 does too). A 20 pellet sample, selected at random, is not really enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt much of anything but It did give me an idea what was going on. I found the two newer tins of Crosmans had a lot more variation in head size than the 18 pellets I had from the "good" tin. I later sorted one entire tin of 500 and found pellets at each size on the pellet gauge. 10 different head sizes. The sample of the "good tin" was much less variable as were the several tins of H&Ns I sampled. I also found that H&N Baracuda Match were less variable than Baracuda and Baracuda Power. I will shoot up the Baracuda (almost gone) and Baracuda Power (2 or 3 tins of those to go) and then standardize on the Match. Probably worth the price difference to me. Last, point. I shot several 5 shot groups with each head size of the sorted tin of the "bad" Crosmans. My P35-177 really does not like the small head sizes. They were pretty prevalent in "bad" tin. I still have a bunch of that sorted tin, I should probably try weight sorting them too. But I've pretty much decided Crosmans are just not consistent enough for me to buy more of. I like the price but I don't like how them shoot. I may be able to get some good groups sorting for head size and weight but I'd rather spend a little more and buy Baracuda Match and avoid the sorting (at least until I try hunter field target).