First time shooting at 200 yards, at least I got on paper =P

A5FC5FF1-3F99-4A78-8EA8-7A8A18A3BCB4.1635603661.jpeg
Have to do a lot of work this weekend, but because of that I ditched work 4 hours and went shooting. Finally made it to the 300 yard range and popped up targets at 200 yards. Ran out of elevation by about 1 Mil at 200 yards but that’s expected, with the 20MOA rails I got 11 mils of elevation shooting 23 grain .22 NSA @900fps with my crown. 

wind is always a pain at the range because of it likes to just swirl and switch directions constantly. I got a shinny strip of plastic as wind flag and it never stay consistent for more than a couple of seconds…..that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. At the end of the day I’m happy that I got in paper with the darn wind!

Most groups are about 5-6 inches

0C03C4F6-F034-4F82-B98E-2F31475CE614.1635603767.jpeg
5AD2AD6B-30B4-45A1-893C-33CFF09D5E3F.1635603767.jpeg
96AE0B1F-CD03-40EB-9630-2BB3E6CC5A15.1635603767.jpeg

this is best group of the day and it’s about 4 inches. Double up on one shot by luck and it’s actually a 6 shot group, you can see the new/clean hole just off the paper top right of the group. 
86EDA2E1-CFFD-4C9F-A40B-3B487D9CAC83.1635603768.jpeg

after shooting the paper waiting for the rating to clean I decided to try to hit rocks and lumps of dirt on the big berm at the very end of the range which was 325 yards. I nearly completely ran out of scope at that range, I had to hold 12-13 mils for elevation and 4-6 mils of windage. But surprisingly with adjustment for wind I can hit 4-5 inch rocks as long as the wind wasn’t too bad or pretty close all things considered. Think the 23 grain slugs simply get push by the wind a lot to make it precise enough at 200 yards unless the wind is more consistent or if there is no wind. 

interesting observation, I wax my slugs usually but I ran out of those so opened a fresh bag from NSA and I feel like the groups shrunk. Maybe more lube isn’t always better.

That sounds very interesting, I would expect the impact to beat the crown. 

There are some very good reasonably priced adjustable rings out there. They work great. They give you a tension- free mounting system, and you can optically center your scope to reflect the average distance you’re going to be shooting.

I ordered my first box of slugs for the 25 this week.

It looks like you have some of natures wind flags at various distances on your range. 

Is that desert?

mike

I found out this week that the NSA slugs are lubed. I’ve shot them right out of the bag, and with my mild lube treatment. I have not noticed a difference. However I’ve heard different lubes can clash.

mike

I had no issues with shooting NSA out of the bag but decided to try pledge which really helps with pellets. Guess I’ll skip lubing the NSA and shoot them as is. 

I thought about adjustable rings but where the mag sits on the crown it would hit the adjustment box thing on the scope plus with most scopes’ eye relieve I need the scope just forward enough non-offset rings won’t won’t work. Unless I mount the scope another quarter inch higher but with the adjustable rings I won’t get much elevation adjustment with both rings on upper end of the adjustment thanks to the big mag. However 150-200 is probably the most I would shoot with the crow in .22 so it’s ok. Not many scopes even has 11 mils to adjust even with 20moa rails. this definitely is one done side of the crown compared to RW which is MUCH easier to mount a scope however you want. 

The impact has the crimson trace series 5 scope with 34mm tube that has 120 moa of internal adjustment so at 300 yards won’t be the edge of the scope. Ballistic solver told me at 300 yards the impact will be at around 20 mils so I should be close to the center of the reticle. 

When I was shooting at 300 yards with the crown I was on 10x just so I can see the 13mil hash marks and it’s at the very edge of the scope still. Doh! Surprisingly I was able to see just fine and even can spot the tiny dirt splash at 320 yards. Can’t see bullet holes without reactive target though. 

There are some very good reasonably priced adjustable rings out there. They work great. They give you a tension- free mounting system, and you can optically center your scope to reflect the average distance you’re going to be shooting.

It looks like you have some of natures wind flags at various distances on your range. 

Is that desert?

mike

Hey Qball, Mike and others of course! Lol...I have this bad boy coming over from your motherland. KRAFORD & LYPT Fixed MOA points...Very very cool concept! extra 150 MOA!
Top Rail.1635985926.png

Is that desert?

mike

Hey Qball, Mike and others of course! Lol...I have this bad boy coming over from your motherland. KRAFORD & LYPT Fixed MOA points...Very very cool concept! extra 150 MOA!
Top Rail.1635985926.png
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Oh that's cool!!! Sadly it won't fit on a crown but tempting for my impact. My only hesitance is I already have a scope that has a lot of internal elevation adjustment. With 20MOA mount I have 80MOA travel or 23 mils, according to strelok I only need 20.8 mils at 300 yards. Obviously will see if that works out at all but definitely will keep that rail in the back pocket. I was thinking about an adjustable base in case I can't get to 300 yards with my scope.