First Time PCP Buyer

Completely new to PCP air rifles and I need some guidance. I am from WNY, not far from the Crosman factory, so I lean that direction. Is a 25 cal much better than a 22 cal than a 117 cal? I am into good triggers that are adjustable. Looking for accuracy and durability. Price is a consideration. Iron sights are not necessary, I already have a good selection of scopes that wear Burris Sig. Zee rings and fit Weaver style bases.

larger calibers can extend your effective range and the amount of energy you can deliver on target. whether one is better than the other probably depends mostly on what you're shooting at, how far and under what conditions. if you are shooting paper indoors and want to maximize shots per fill, .177 might be "better", but if you are shooting varmints outside under windy conditions, larger calibers will offer advantages.

Well ya better look for something else than a crosman then because they have non of the things you listed that you want except maybe durability

Depending upon price range (big limiting factor for some) this might be a bit harsh. Crosman PCP's (including the rebranded imports) aren't my favorites but I've certainly had my fair share. Some are better than others. 

Lot's of info on the crosman guns here and on youtube from better than average reviewers. Pick a couple you like and do some searches. 

Don't forget to added cost of filling your new PCP. I just encountered a brand new PCP purchaser with a home garage/shop and was planning to fill his scuba tank with his shop compressor. SCUBA tank and PCP doesn't really work, at least not for more than a few minutes (think SCBA and the equipment) and neither will a shop compressor (think max 200 psi vs 4,500 psi)

Cal depends completely upon your expected use. .22 covers most of it if not interested in 100yd + targets., Hunting gets a little more complicated.

You don't mention how you intend to fill the gun, hand pump, compressor, tank?Crosman has several guns with good adjustable triggers, but as far as I know none with Weaver/Pic bases built in. As for cal. unless you have a specific reason for the others I'd start with a .22. Lots of ammo choices.

My Opinion...Crosman is probably the best choice based on their customer service and easy parts availability.

I'll recommend to you what I purchased for my very first PCP. I did a lot of research and in the end, I chose the Benjamin Cayden in .22 and here is why.

Wanted to start out with a traditional wooden stocked rifle

decent trigger that you can adjust (Lots of how to video's online)

3000 psi fill, so easy to pump (keeps you in shape)

Accurate, very accurate, especially with the Crossman 14.3 pellets that are $7 per 500.

Simple and robust magazines that can be had for around $14 on Midway USA

Smooth side lever vs. a cocking bolt. it really is smooth.

Picatinny rail to make mounting scopes easy

Adjustable stock comb to make fitting you and your head to the scope height easy.

5 year warranty

cost, I scored mine from Airguns of Arizona for just under $500..

Only down side I have found , it's a bit loud, but a Moderator quiets it down quite nicely.

You could do a lot worse on your first PCP.

Cayden.1647797672.jpg

If going Crosman is a plus, IMHO it's a no brainer to look at the Benjamin Craftsman line. the two I have are fabulously accurate at the ranges I have available to me.(35-50 yards)

Cayden and Akela can both be filled reasonably with a hand pump. In addition with the lower demands of 200BAR, a compressor like one of the "$350.00 oil less Amazon specials" will last a lot longer.

People that own the Cayden, Kratos and Akela do know that the trigger is quite adjustable as is, and more so with some time taken to do actual work other than adjusting the set screws.

My own preferred compromise of the three calibers you mention is .22 Your mileage may vary, but a very heavy .22 is going to offer nearly what .25 offers.

Marauder in it's myriad forms has likely been more peoples first PCP than pretty much anything else out there, but IMHO it's very old heavy tech that has been surpassed by many options in the same (or even lower) price range, The Cayden being a good example. It's only advantage being the continued presence of a vast amount of cool aftermarket stuff, a hold over from the era when it was the go to affordable PCP to buy and mod. Opinions will vary, but personally I have not shot my Marauder since I got my Kratos.

Welcome to AGN forum

There are many factors to consider when choosing a PCP rifle. here's a saying that might help with cal choice.

.177 for feathers .22 for fur. A general statement. You want enough energy from the gun, to deliver the chosen pellet/caliber weight, to the animal/target choice, at the distance & conditions, for a quick, humane dispatch. 

.177 shoots flatter, closer .22cal and up, hit harder, further. Airguns are the tools needed for our hobby/sport just like golf clubs and fishing poles. It all comes down to what you plan to do with the rifle, and then find a rifle that can do what you expect, at a price you will pay. As members have said, there are other cost and equipment factors in the use of a pcp rifle. And those costs depend on the type of shooting you plan on doing. If you could please give us more information as to your needs we can answer more effectively. 

TODD

I'll offer the suggestion I always do to new participants in the sport, but who have experience with accurate firearms, good triggers, etc., and it seems you do. It's advice seldom taken, and since my wife says I'm always wrong, maybe they are right.

If you appreciate precision equipment, including good triggers, then go ahead and start there. You don't need to spend $3K, but maybe half that amount. Rifles such as the Daystate Revere, FX Royale, Weihrauch HW100, Taipan Veteran, are a few that come to mind. You can spend $500 and get a rifle that's fun to play with, but very few people who stay in the hobby will use such a rifle very long. You might consider my advice as elitist, but I don't mean it that way. It's a hobby that gobbles up money fast, and often an inexpensive first rifle is a false economy.

Marauder is an outstanding 1st purchase value. If needed outstanding warranty & likely not needed. Parts support #1 in the industry. Trigger outstanding and as with the magazine mirror copied from the Theoben line, the "1st 100" were advertised with the "match trigger" and little has changed other than the torsion spring, you can be a trigger snob with one.

Easy to work on, ton's of after market support/parts. Options of reg & LW barrel from factory or grab an excellent after market reg for $69 and "drop in" ... . The new .22 barrel (as well as the new .25's) seem to shoot pretty darn well tho.

NO advantage in .25 unless you have some special need for a lower powered .25. Remember folks in the UK use .177 & .22 at 12fpe out to 50+m without issue.

John

IMG_20211107_144308.1647918513.jpg
Hello and welcome to a great sport. This is my Benjamin Armada .22 cal. It is the same as a Marauder with AR style body work. I bought it a year ago. I know a lot of guys on here are not impressed with these, but for me it has been a great introduction to this fun and challenging sport. Purchased rifle with a decent Center Point 4 × 16 - 40 scope and adjustable bipod. With a so far great little compressor all for about a $1000.00 . I don't hunt, but compete in different types of matches at my local Air Gun club and do ok. For hunting varmits, I would think plenty accurate out to 50 or 60 yards.

Lots of upgrades and parts out there as well.