First Time PCP Buyer Help // Pesting // Lead Free

Hey everyone! First post, but I've been lurking for years.

I've been interested in getting into PCP rifles for a long time, but I always find a reason to not purchase one (not enough time to shoot, too much initial investment, too many options, new tech constantly coming out, whatever random thing to stop the purchase).

A few friends recently got into them and I am done with excuses! I need help picking a rifle, and I was hoping the forum could help out.

Current Plans:
My main use will be pesting rats, starlings, and pigeons. I intend to only shoot lead-free.

Budget:
I don't want to go over $500 for the rifle. I know that puts me into a lower budget for lots of the nice PCPs out there... but I want to make sure I like using a PCP before going further. When you add in scopes, fill tanks/pumps/compressors, the money just goes higher and higher. I'd love to get away with hand pumping for a while if I can (depending on gun).

What I've Looked at:
I've almost bought a P15 several times over the last few years. They seem like great guns for the price. I see there is a P35 now that looks like an upgraded model, but I haven't found many reviews comparing the two.

I'm also seeing options like the Hatsan Flashpup, or AEA Challenger that look pretty great for the price. The new Umarex Notos also looks like a ton of fun from recent threads!

Nice to Have:
These aren't deal breakers, but I'd love to have a super quiet/backyard friendly gun, that I can fill with a handpump.

That's where I'm at! I don't feel strongly about a caliber... 22 sounds fun. The only airgun I've personally owned is a Benjamin 397 in .177, so this is a whole new world for me.

Thanks!

You should check out the Gamo Urban. Easy to hand pump 100cc tank and you get around 30 shots at 860 fps with 14.3 g chps. You can find them for $300 or less.
I agree this is probably going to be your best bet. You can hand pump, they are known to be quite accurate, and mine is super quiet. It is also worth noting that some of these newer budget pcps wont shoot well turned down; but the Urban will be in the sweet spot for the super light lead free pellets. You can also get parts for an Urban, and will likely be able to years after the rest. If it were me, I would get an Urban (or Coyote if you can find one) and a Huma regulator and turn it down to shoot the lead free in the 800-880fps range. You will have to keep your distances short though, since the lead free loses speed real fast.

I always recommend a Marauder , built like a tank with Everyready battery's.

although ? don't know if you have the 10 posts yet ?

Air Venturi Avenger 177, $150 shipped CONUS​

I'm definitely not at 10 posts. This makes post #2 :p

It seems like Marauders are one of the standard "buy this first" recommendations, and for good reason. That looks like a steal on the Avenger!

I agree this is probably going to be your best bet. You can hand pump, they are known to be quite accurate, and mine is super quiet. It is also worth noting that some of these newer budget pcps wont shoot well turned down; but the Urban will be in the sweet spot for the super light lead free pellets. You can also get parts for an Urban, and will likely be able to years after the rest. If it were me, I would get an Urban (or Coyote if you can find one) and a Huma regulator and turn it down to shoot the lead free in the 800-880fps range. You will have to keep your distances short though, since the lead free loses speed real fast.
Thanks for the info!

I need to do more reading on lead free requirements/considerations. I didn't know about the lower FPS requirements. Thanks!

SO what are your plans? target's , pests ? hunting ,

Also there are some very simple mod's you can do with an M rod ,some cheap some a bit more .
Current Plans:
My main use will be pesting rats, starlings, and pigeons. I intend to only shoot lead-free.

Based on the info from @MongooseV8 , looks like the lead-free requirement will limit my ranges a bit.

I really like the smaller form factor of the bullpups/carbines, but wouldn't say no to a full size rifle, either.

Yes lead free are light weight , should be fine for what your doing unless rats are large. as a kid , the town i was in had Pidgeon days , where anybody could shoot the birds under the bridges ( supervised by a cop) Red Rider BB guns were mostly used . shooting 5 grain wadcutters . what fun that was !
I had a Benjamin pellet rifle

1675314462917.png

These are copper coated lead. These shoot one hole at 15 yards with my Marauder Pistol in .22. I have my P-Rod set up as a carbine for pesting.

1675314195804.jpeg

1675314776750.jpeg

1675314318833.png

Last edited:
Marauder is always a good choice, but at 215cc it does take more effort to pump. I would go Gamo Urban as well, it's a rebranded BSA and they're known to be accurate and well built. If you are eyeing the Notos, I'd go with a Marauder Pistol instead. It's better built, has unmatched parts/aftermarket support, and will hand pump super quick.

Hey everyone! First post, but I've been lurking for years.

I've been interested in getting into PCP rifles for a long time, but I always find a reason to not purchase one (not enough time to shoot, too much initial investment, too many options, new tech constantly coming out, whatever random thing to stop the purchase).

A few friends recently got into them and I am done with excuses! I need help picking a rifle, and I was hoping the forum could help out.

Current Plans:

Budget:
I don't want to go over $500 for the rifle. I know that puts me into a lower budget for lots of the nice PCPs out there... but I want to make sure I like using a PCP before going further. When you add in scopes, fill tanks/pumps/compressors, the money just goes higher and higher. I'd love to get away with hand pumping for a while if I can (depending on gun).

What I've Looked at:
I've almost bought a P15 several times over the last few years. They seem like great guns for the price. I see there is a P35 now that looks like an upgraded model, but I haven't found many reviews comparing the two.

I'm also seeing options like the Hatsan Flashpup, or AEA Challenger that look pretty great for the price. The new Umarex Notos also looks like a ton of fun from recent threads!

Nice to Have:
These aren't deal breakers, but I'd love to have a super quiet/backyard friendly gun, that I can fill with a handpump.

That's where I'm at! I don't feel strongly about a caliber... 22 sounds fun. The only airgun I've personally owned is a Benjamin 397 in .177, so this is a whole new world for me.

Thanks!
Hatsan Jet. I have one in 25 Cal, plenty of power to take out rats and squirrels and pigeons, whether you go with the jet one or the jet two, both can be filled with a hand pump. What I like personally about mine is it can be both a pistol and a carbine rifle with the included stock it comes with. The 25 Cal only comes with a six shot magazine but it accepts hatsan sortie mags so you can get more shots. My jet one with just the one tank it comes with is able to get 20 to 30 shots easy before refilling the tank. And this is just my personal opinion but I think it looks cool as hell.

Reactions: whatsapcp