• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

First time Field Target Match . . .

I didn't think there was any air gunners within hours of me and just accepted it as being in rural Vermont. I stopped at a nearby Scuba shop to get my tank filled and the guy was real nice. We chatted about diving and Airguns while he filled my tank. He then said " Do you know Todd Banks? He's a big airgunner and they have a club in Salem, NY". It is only 40 minutes from my house! He gave me Todds contact info and I emailed him and asked if I could come spectate at any upcoming events as I am a total noob.

Fifteen minutes later I get a reply . . .

Hi Keth,
Are you busy this Saturday? We have a Field Target match at the Salem Pistol and Rifle Club, starting at 9:30am. You can just come watch but you are more than welcome to shoot with us and won't be the only first timer if you do. There is a couple coming from southern NY that have never shot a match either, and we have at least one other that has only shot a few matches. We also have a couple of National champions and a couple of members of Team USA FT that shoot with us regularly and all will go out of their way to help you out! All you need is your gun and pellets (shooting under 20fpe) and I can loan you everything else you'll need.
Hope you can make it!
Todd Banks
President-Salem Pistol and Rifle Club

Well I am going! Have to tune the AA S500 to shoot JSB Diabolo Heavy at less than 20fpe but don't have a chrony yet so Todd said he would bring his and get me all set up. Very excited and nervous as these guys are very good. Gonna be a blast to see them shoot!

Good luck with the match. I started Field Target this past Feb at the Tar Heel Air Gun Club (THAGC) here in NC. I have been going strong ever since. Our club is hosting the Nationals this year.

Just go and have a blast! It sounds like Todd and his members are willing to help you get started. 

You will be nervous for your first match. You will feel and think that everyone is watching you... You'll see that everyone is concentrating on their lanes and not watching you . I know I was intimidated the first time I went. It will soon pass... 

Again, Good luck Knock 'em all down 

I am realistic. Tonight was the first time I have ever shot a PCP rifle just trying to zero the scope. I have the cheap scope from my springer on the Air Arms S500 and the ring mounts are too high. The rifle is much better than me. I don't expect to come in anything but last place but know by the end of the day I will have learned a lot. 

Bleemus, my friend who posted above (Camp Fussel) got me into the pcp's and I am glad he did.

I went a bit over board with the quality guns and concrete double bench, 100 yd range, permanent distance markers, and....well you get the idea. I now make and sell the metal field targets.....Yeah i got it bad! ..lol

We both are shooting in the nationals this year. Not because we are top shooters but because we overcame the fear of competive shooting.

The biggest obstacle you need to beat in FT is ranging your target. You have an accurate rifle in the AA, but you do need an accurate, clear scope to compete. When you get the funds go for the best scope you can afford with side focus and wheel. Todd and the club members can steer you toward the rt choice.

After you shoot one competition you will get hooked. Jimmy and i don't compete against others. We compete against ourselves. We try to just beat our own personal best scores. Do that and you will be surprised how fast you get better..

Well I went and had a blast. Due to a technical glitch I didn't shoot but spent time watching and asking questions. Everyone was very nice and I will be ready for the next match on Sept 19th. Canadian National HFT springer champ was they as well as Ray Arrelles who is multiple National champ and just returned from the Worlds in Lithuania. Both are real nice and went above and beyond to talk to me about how to best set up my rifle for HFT. Can't thank them enough. I'm hooked. 

Strikefast,
All great advice and mirrors what I heard today. While my budget doesn't allow for the $1300 scope they did point out a few contenders in the sub $500 range that I could swing. I am competitive by nature and today's scene no way intimidated me. I actually wish I could have shot just to learn the routine I need to practice. It may have been the first score of zero in a WFTF sanctioned event in history though! 

Off to Amazon to send back the tripod I just bought and get the bipod! If anyone knows which of the Primos Trigger bipod lengths is preferred for HFT please let me know. I forgot to ask today. I see a 24-61 inch but there is also a shorter one.