• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First time Entering the Air Rifle world.

So big change to my original post below. I've decided to step it up, and looking to purchase the Hasan Blitz, likely in .22, maybe 25.

As powder cartridge ammo has become incredibly expensive and hard to find for my powder guns, going to the range has become too expensive. At a $1 per bullet, it can easily become a $200 endeavor. Not to mention finding the time in my schedule with 2 and 4 year-old girls. A friend mentioned air rifles as an option, and I can shoot in my backyard (25 yards max for me). I quickly realized in researching air guns have advanced immensely since I last looked.

I am making an investment into PCP rifles, primarily for target shooting. I don't see myself hunting, or performing pest control. Not that I wouldn't if the opportunity presented itself. I am currently looking at an order for the Benjamin Akela .22 (on back order), Hawke Sport Optics 3-9 x 40 scope, 70-75 cf PCP Air tank (Omega or Venturi), UTG QD bipod, shooting bags, patch worm and cleaning pads/pellets, Ballistol, Shoot n C targets, hard case, and pellets of course. I plan on making my own pellet catcher as well.

I've seen the Akela as being backyard friendly, but may add a moderator later if I determine it's needed I see the barrel is not banded, only connected to the receiver, and has some flex, but no one seems to be complaining about it, and somehow it may help with accuracy? Nothing is set in stone until the gun actually comes into the store and they confirm with me. I'm looking for any obvious advice in starting out, as I don't know anyone experienced in the PCP air rifle world. What am I missing?

Thanks everyone.

I used Royal London Oil to finish my stock. I think it turned out nice.

Akela 2.1603921890.jpg

If you never shot a bullpup type gun, it does take some time to learn how to shoot them accurately. With enough time you will be able to shoot this gun just as good as any other gun. If you are ever up to the task, I usually switch out the front studs to a piccatiny but is not necessary. I like using the UTG Recon bipod because it gives me several options to rest the gun to make it more comfortable for me. Another thing to add your gun is a bubble level to eliminate scope cant.

I used Royal London Oil to finish my stock. I think it turned out nice.

Akela 2.1603921890.jpg

When I got mine I thought the stock looked pretty plain for being walnut. After having it for a week I have a rag that is lightly oiled that I used to wipe down all my guns . So I took the rag And started wiping down the stock in circular motions and putting a lot of pressure on it for about 10 minutes and the grain came right out in it and looked a little darker and much better. Yeah those stocks that come with the Akela Can use just a little bit of help.

You won’t go wrong with the Akela if you like the bullpup stock. It was to short for me and also had to take the cheek rest off to center the scope comfortably. It shoots 1/2” groups all day at 40 yrds. Luckily my wife took it away from me! I’m looking at the Cayden and Kratos really hard as I like a traditional stock or semi-bullpup. Great mid-level gun at a great price. Be sure and use the AGNATION coupon for the discount and free Friday shipping. Also, save up for a compressor!!!

That oil comes with directions. Put a real small amount on a rag. Rub it in real hard. They say the heat actuates it. I know it keeps it from ending up a sticky mess. Little goes a long way. I let it dry overnight then do another coat, I probably have 5 on mine now. You'll see the grain start coming out. I have a TX200 In walnut that I used it on too. That thing really stands out. If I could ever learn how to post pics on here that are full size I'd show you. All mine come out like minis lol

You won’t go wrong with the Akela if you like the bullpup stock. It was to short for me and also had to take the cheek rest off to center the scope comfortably.

This will be my first bullpup, and I have yet to hold this gun. I'm 6'3" so we'll see how it 'fits'. Admittingly, I'm partly getting it because of the cool look factor and it's short overall length for travel.

kkirsch,

I'm also 6'3" and I love my bullpups (Kalibrgun Cricket, Taipan Veteran, Taipan Mutant). I have heard nothing but good things about the Akela and think it should be a solid gun for you. Based on all the things I've read or watched about it have been positive. The members have given good advise on the bubble levels, but i will say i prefer the rail mounted as its easier to line up. The one thing I would add is i prefer shooting off a bipod, specifically the Atlas clones you can buy on ebay for cheap. You will need to add a rail to the front of the gun near the swivel stud. Welcome to the addiction. I started the same way about five years ago for similar reasons, would love to hear your reaction the first time you pull the trigger. I laughed like a little kid on Christmas the first time I shot my Benjamin Marauder.

Have fun.

Airguns are much different from center fire guns. They more closely resemble black powder guns for the shot cycle. Follow through is very important when your velocity is below the speed of sound. It takes a while to learn the peculiar needs of shooting well with air guns, but the reward once you do is worth the effort.

Welcome to the neighborhood, and tell us about your success.

Shoot'em good!

...methinks the Craftsman line will do well...a proven, simple platform dressed up for the American market...

...that Akela seems to have hit all the right notes... 

...my Cayden is too heavy for my preferences, and I do not want to look at it's bore with a 'scope, but I still like it too well to send it back...

...I cannot complain aboot how it is shooting 18.13 grn JSB's...

...the crescent butt pad of sticky rubber is comfortable but tends to snag on a quick mount with baggy garments...otherwise it mounts like a fine shot gun...

...I would really like an Air Arms 510 but Odoyell said I would get Buyer's Remorse...

...I am regretting passing on a used one I had in the bag...I changed my mind back but it never came back on the market...

...that is one thing to consider in this market...if you like/want it and see it buy it or it will sell out if it is any good...