• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Time Air Rifle Owner - Air Venturi Avenger

Just picked this up 2 days ago after testing it out on the indoor range at the Gun Shop. Albeit I was shooting at 17 yards, I was getting 1 ragged hole groups with the JSB 15.89 pellets. I am excited to see what this thing can do for the price. Eventually I will upgrade, but figured this is a good start and price point to let other people/kids shoot and not stress about it. At the moment I will be mounting a Cabela's Covenant 4 scope on it. Surprising, their Covenant scope line isn't bad for the prices either.

Just picked up a used SCBA 30 minute bottle off of ebay with 6 years of use to go. Now to hunt down the filling hose and adapters.

Can't wait to put this thing through its paces and learn the in and outs of a PCP rifle. Yes I am hooked after shooting friends FX's and Brocock.

PY-5136_Air-Venturi-Avenger-Regulated_1579291958.1628258632.jpg

Eh, it's junk. Send it to me, and I'll dispose of it properly. :)

Seriously, I love mine. Mine likes the $7 Crosman .22 pellets from WalMart, and from what I've read mine isn't the only Avenger that like them. It likes them better than it does the H&N FTT pellets.

I was wondering about the Crossman. Saw some at my "tractor store". Thanks for this info!

You might want to just fill to 3000psi if your using a tank to fill up. You will use air very quickly filling to 4300 or whatever it's max fill is. 2 months of running to the scuba shop 2 times a week and you will be in the market for a compressor. Welcome to the dark side that's going to be the most expensive 300 dollar gun ever! 😂

I hear ya there on running to the shop to get the bottle filled. Luckily a friend purchased a compressor, just need to bribe him some how. Compressor is next on the long list. I am trying to justify it to myself that the tank and compressor will transfer to any gun I decide to upgrade to.

Screenshot_20210806-141449.1628284514.jpg

I highly recommend the air venturi compressor. It uses distilled water and compressor oil to cool and lube parts. I've used it alot.... I mean alot over the last 2 years or close to that. No idea how many hours on it but quite a bit. I filled my great white tank which is 80min I think over maybe 60 to 80 times. It's run great. I change the oil and water every 3 months or after 10 fills. I probably don't have to do it that often but I do out of an abundance of caution. Anyway it's a workhorse. You won't find better for under 2000 in my opinion. Obviously getting a Baur or even a daystate would be better but if your like me you enjoy value and I can personally attest that mine has been amazing. Also I bought it used so who knows how many fills its had in its life. Pm me if you have any questions about it. Or your rifle or anything really regarding maintenance or airgun issues. If I can't answer your questions I know the guys to ask guaranteed. Hope you love your new rifle. Should be a good gun for you. 

I highly recommend the air venturi compressor. It uses distilled water and compressor oil to cool and lube parts. I've used it alot.... I mean alot over the last 2 years or close to that. No idea how many hours on it but quite a bit. I filled my great white tank which is 80min I think over maybe 60 to 80 times. It's run great. I change the oil and water every 3 months or after 10 fills. I probably don't have to do it that often but I do out of an abundance of caution. Anyway it's a workhorse. You won't find better for under 2000 in my opinion. Obviously getting a Baur or even a daystate would be better but if your like me you enjoy value and I can personally attest that mine has been amazing. Also I bought it used so who knows how many fills its had in its life. Pm me if you have any questions about it. Or your rifle or anything really regarding maintenance or airgun issues. If I can't answer your questions I know the guys to ask guaranteed. Hope you love your new rifle. Should be a good gun for you.

Which AV compressor are you recommending? (You pictured 2.)

I have been doing my research on this one also. Seems like a good start for a smaller bottle.

Works great for any size bottle. If the temperature starts getting too high just shut it off and wait a bit but I doubt you'd ever have to. They're more durable now than the original versions since the made the piston thicker. Mine runs much cooler now that it's run a while. You can wrap paper towels around the stainless tubing and keep it wet while running. That keeps the machine much cooler. Don't run hydraulic oil in the pump like the instructions say. That stuff stinks like sulfur really bad. Use iso100 (30/40wt) compressor oil and change it after the first 30 minutes of run time. After that you don't need to change the oil again until it looks dirty. The pumps are loud with most of the sound coming from the little air intake filter. I replaced it with a larger hose barb and hose to a larger filter with baffles. I still wear ear muffs while it's running in my shop.

Edit: It's best to delete pics when quoting a post to keep the page from filling up with the same pictures.

You'll have hours of fun with your avenger. They are great, especially for the price point. When I had mine I used ae Swede 14 round mags (in .25) and they are really well built. They cycle perfectly and the extra rounds were a plus. On compressors, I tried a couple more budget friendly choices and was never satisfied. I ended up going with the Hill EC 3000. It is a bit pricey, but it is much better that the $400ish pumps I previously used. The Hill compressor is FAST. It would fill my avenger to 300 bar in well under 2 min IIIRC. Buy once, cry once. Just my 2c. Anyhow, enjoy the avenger and PCP's.

Congratulations on your Avenger. I bought my first PCP last year, a Marauder Pistol (Prod) I shoot as a carbine. I bought my 25 caliber Avenger this year. I hand pumped both at first. That is a pretty good way to fill a Prod but takes awhile with an Avenger. But I still recommend you get a hand pump. A normal fill for me was about 100 pumps which is a lot more work than cracking a SCBA tank valve but isn't really too bad. Lots better than not shooting. I have a Benjamin pump and a no name Chinese pump and the $60 Chinese one is better in some ways. Definitely a good idea as a backup.

I bought a Yong Heng next and initially filled both guns with it. If you want to fill the Avenger to 300 bar you will need to fill from a compressor. But I don't fill my Avenger this full and the SCBA tank works great. The Yong Heng needs an added dryer and some good compressor oil so that will run up the cost but it is still a great buy, especially for a compressor that will fill a SCBA tank. Mine is a 45 minute tank and the Yong Heng will normally fill it from 3000 to 4000 in two runs with temperature limited to 60 degrees C. You can go higher but I'd like it to last so I limit the temperature.

My 25 caliber likes any JSB pellet but seems to like FX 25.4 (made by JSB) and JSB King heavies (not mkii) the best. It definitely does not like H&N FTT (which shoot great in my Prod) or Benjamin domed. My Prod likes Crosman domed and hollow point pretty well and I use them for plinking and tuning and the FTT for most hunting.

I got the wood stock version in. 25 cal last week. I've been pumping it up with a hand pump. I can get it to 4000 psi pretty easily and if I really wanted to, I could get it up to max pressure. Honestly, it's really not that bad. 

I have a compressor coming. Got the orange air cooled off eBay. Until it gets here, I'll keep pushing the hand pump