First time air gun owner what is the best compressor

We all have different situations - mine; I shoot right out my back door and if I wanted different surroundings my rifle club is less than 5 miles away - with a 6.8L and 9L tank air is not an issue. I do not know what hydo is but there is zero maintenance other than the schedule which is a long way off.
Hydro is the mechanical inspection that is required every 5 years for 15 to keep a SCBA tank legal to fill, then there is an additional test (MAE) required to extend the life from 15-30 years with continued SCBA every 5 years.

So no, there is NOT zero maintenance on tanks.

Hydro is the mechanical inspection that is required every 5 years for 15 to keep a SCBA tank legal to fill, then there is an additional test (MAE) required to extend the life from 15-30 years with continued SCBA every 5 years.

So no, there is NOT zero maintenance on tanks.
I was referring to the compressor only. Yes I get it on the tanks - hydro not hydo that is why I did not understand your first response.

I was referring to the compressor only. Yes I get it on the tanks - hydro not hydo that is why I did not understand your first response.
I'm surprised one missing letter from a typographical error was that confusing, especially when you're still using the incomplete word.

Hydrostatic testing...hopefully that clarification helps😊

This is old thread is about a first time gun owner and what is the "best" compressor to buy.

The fastest way to turn off a new shooter is to make this hobby extremely expensive, and or confusing. High end compressors, tanks, fill set ups etc...absolutely horrible ideas to spring upon a new shooter.

I personally have experienced this problem and have bought guns and compressors cheap due to bad suggestions. The near bullet proof YH is a perfect example... new shooter gets one, quickly finds out its really not for filling guns, needs a ton of support and ideally a tank to fill so you can actually go use your gun.

People might like to hate on the inexpensive portable compressor, but the simple fact is that they are portable, can easily fill a gun and the quality of some brands are very good compared to just a few years ago.

Unless you know a person has unlimited funds...suggest something that's reasonable and not totally ridiculous to get started. Lots and lots of pcp guns sold new are dirt cheap and get people interested... let's try to keep it simple and reasonable for those to enjoy the hobby and possibly grow and then they may look into spending 1000's upon 1000's upon 1000's of dollars just to fill a gun.

Last edited:
For the money, the GX Pump line is a good option to consider. I'm on my third. I had a CS3, sold it and got the CS4 so I could fill my Huben. I've had my CS4 for a year now and just picked up a L3 battery powered model as a back up and to use in the field. The are built strong, run cool and quiet and have very good customers support. They have one for just about every budget.

They also have a coupon for 10% off a compressor purchase: GX10OFF

Reactions: Snake420