First time air gun owner what is the best compressor

The absolute best compressor is the one that somebody else owns and maintains. Because they can be quite frustrating and costly. Most people will have a dive shop, paintball shop, fire station, etc within a reasonable driving distance of them that they can pay to get a fill-up. A bonus is that these places will assuredly provide the highest level of clean and dry air...something quite hard to do at home with cheaper compressors unless shelling out quite a bit more money, and also requiring even more maintenance. So my advice to most people getting into PCPs is to invest in a quality tank that can be filled and will last for many years with zero maintenance before testing is needed to maintain compliance.

I understand not everyone will have such a fill station within driving distance, but you might be surprised if you take the time to search. I live in a rural area and have no less than three fill stations within 45 minutes of my house, one as close as 20 mins. $10 to fill my 60 minute SCBA. And then I get to simply walk away with my clean 4500lb air while somebody else gets to worry about the maintenance. Nothing comes close to beating that cost of compressed air. I would still use this method even if it were a three hour drive. I would probably just buy an extra tank.
I am new to air guns having shot firearms for more than 50 years. I just picked up two, a break barrel and a PCP (Hatsan AT44-10QE) trying to help out a former coworker who was recently widowed. Spartan, I like your idea of a tank as I will rarely use these air guns to teach grandchildren to shoot. In NE Illinois shooting air guns is as regulated as shooting firearms. I got a Nomad from my friend which appears not to work and I do not want to spend a fortune on a compressor that will see very little use. Here is the question:

What do I need if I buy a new high pressure (4500 psi) scuba tank to finish it off so I can use it? Specifically what fittings and hoses would be best. I have a couple scuba shops near by and a friendly fire department so I am real interested in this option. Any help with advice and most importantly details would be appreciated.

ZShyster

I did lots and lots of research looking for a reliable unit with a good repair history and almost pulled the trigger a number of times on units costing anywhere from $1000 to $3500 - think Daystate. But I would inevitably read where these highly reputable compressors would have problems early on for the buyer. I did not want to spend $4100 on a compressor but for those of us who are not as mechanically inclined as others and not wanting to go through the frustration of waiting on repairs I went with the low risk option and got the Alkin 31V in 220v. While the unit is costly, I do not have one bit of cognitive dissonance after purchasing this unit whatsoever as the quality, workmanship and customer service are all outstanding. Customer service from Farren at the New Jersey location is top notch - he responds very, very quickly.
Alkin w31 is way to go!

Reactions: cavedweller
If getting into pcp's is not an impulse, and you shoot a lot hunt a lot or plan to.shoot in matches and meet all these super knowledge sharing people...then go all in. Get the Alkin W31 220 volt. I.have a camping generator with 220 and you need a 30 amp breaker but its quieter than the gas engine Alkin and holds way more gas and serves other purposes as well. So thats why i chose the 220 volt electric. Hope my info helps your decision.

Dusting the house, nice!!! What adapter do you use for this work.
I use an old oxygen regulator. Unscrew the part that screws to the oxygen bottle and screw in a hpa hose. The other end screws into your adapter to SCBA or SCUBA tank. You might have to use some heat to unscrew the oxygen bottle adapter. Don't use the regulator for oxygen again until it's been thoroughly cleaned and degreased.

This question of what is the least expensive way to High Pressure Air (HPA) occurs here almost on a daily basis. Many answer this with inexpensive Chinese compressors because no one wants to hear the truth because the truth is painful. There is no such thing as inexpensive HPA! The cost of HPA includes compressors, tanks, connectors, filters, water separators, valves and whips. It is the biggest expense in this hobby. You get what you pay for. The inexpensive compressors work if you limit the duty cycle to the gun tanks only. Otherwise they fail in short order. If you wish to use a storage bottle. The amount of gun charges available from a SCBA bottle is determined by its volume and even then, you only get to use about 10% of its rated volume before the bottle has to be recharged. The inexpensive compressors cannot charge these tanks without overheating. These compressors have low output volume and a low output duty cycle. So, to charge a bottle with one of these, it takes a long time because it must be done in many cycles, charge for 5 minutes, cool for 10 minutes or more, then charge again. A real PIA. It is my personal belief that everybody, over time, ends up with expensive pro equipment simply because it is cheaper to buy once and cry once. Buying small tanks and toy compressors is a real waste of money. So for all you newbies to this sport "EYES WIDE OPEN"

Reactions: Camaro454
The very best information is on Dive forums. They need high quality air which means good compressors. The low end dive compressors are Coltri and Alkin31. While these compressors are lower end for high pressure air, they work. Read these forums, it will help you decide which compressor to purchase. And yes, what we consider high end, are lower end dive units.
Now we are talking with higher end guns. With guns under $1000 are you going to purchase a $4000 compressor. Probably not. Read Airgun forums and figure out which one you will purchase. If just filling the gun, we are talking lower pressures and some of these compressors work well. Just know, down the road you may need to work on it.

This question of what is the least expensive way to High Pressure Air (HPA) occurs here almost on a daily basis. Many answer this with inexpensive Chinese compressors because no one wants to hear the truth because the truth is painful. There is no such thing as inexpensive HPA! The cost of HPA includes compressors, tanks, connectors, filters, water separators, valves and whips. It is the biggest expense in this hobby. You get what you pay for. The inexpensive compressors work if you limit the duty cycle to the gun tanks only. Otherwise they fail in short order. If you wish to use a storage bottle. The amount of gun charges available from a SCBA bottle is determined by its volume and even then, you only get to use about 10% of its rated volume before the bottle has to be recharged. The inexpensive compressors cannot charge these tanks without overheating. These compressors have low output volume and a low output duty cycle. So, to charge a bottle with one of these, it takes a long time because it must be done in many cycles, charge for 5 minutes, cool for 10 minutes or more, then charge again. A real PIA. It is my personal belief that everybody, over time, ends up with expensive pro equipment simply because it is cheaper to buy once and cry once. Buying small tanks and toy compressors is a real waste of money. So for all you newbies to this sport "EYES WIDE OPEN"
The GX-CS4 seems to be changing the rules of the game a bit. Yes, it's still slow, but with a 5-hour duty cycle, it does the job of filling large tanks very well.

The Daystate is built by Coltri in Italy
If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. On another note, this device looks simple. It is not. It is quite complex with many parts. Hence the high cost. I bought one and it really is easy to use and it definitely saves air.. However mine broke the actuating pin under the lever. I have ordered another one as a replacement. We will see. I am editing this to reflect the subject, which is the Easy Fill adapter, like the EDgun and Daystate offering. The Florida man comment states the device is actually made by Coltri in Italy. It is not. They are all made in China and sold under different brand names. I really like the design and it functions really well, when it is working, but I fear the quality is less than ideal. and actually rather frail. I will disassemble the new one for dimensions and make new parts as required out of better material.

Last edited:
If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. On another note, this device looks simple. It is not. It is quite complex with many parts. Hence the high cost. I bought one and it really is easy to use and it definitely saves air.. However mine broke the actuating pin under the lever. I have ordered another one as a replacement. We will see.
He is correct. Made by Coltri.

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. On another note, this device looks simple. It is not. It is quite complex with many parts. Hence the high cost. I bought one and it really is easy to use and it definitely saves air.. However mine broke the actuating pin under the lever. I have ordered another one as a replacement. We will see.
Just what I have read.

IMG_3643.png

Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
The GX-CS4 seems to be changing the rules of the game a bit. Yes, it's still slow, but with a 5-hour duty cycle, it does the job of filling large tanks very well.
Its usually budget versus quality/reliability/service. I spent many months searching and I almost bought the Daystate but it was around $3500 or so and the Alkin was $4150. The Alkin office is in New Jersey which is driveable if I needed to get it to them. After I bought it the sales guys were always quick to respond to any questions, so I have no buyer's remorse whatsover. I also factored in that I am not mechanical enough to not get in trouble playing with an HPA.

Its usually budget versus quality/reliability/service. I spent many months searching and I almost bought the Daystate but it was around $3500 or so and the Alkin was $4150. The Alkin office is in New Jersey which is driveable if I needed to get it to them. After I bought it the sales guys were always quick to respond to any questions, so I have no buyer's remorse whatsover. I also factored in that I am not mechanical enough to not get in trouble playing with an HPA.
You could of bought 6 GX cs4's for that price.
Not only that, you had to buy tanks, and need to hydo them.. and you are limited on air supply every time you go somewhere.

That's insane with what is available today for filling pcp airguns.

You could of bought 6 GX cs4's for that price.
Not only that, you had to buy tanks, and need to hydo them.. and you are limited on air supply every time you go somewhere.

That's insane with what is available today for filling pcp airguns.

We all have different situations - mine; I shoot right out my back door and if I wanted different surroundings my rifle club is less than 5 miles away - with a 6.8L and 9L tank air is not an issue. I do not know what hydo is but there is zero maintenance other than the schedule which is a long way off.