• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Things with My New Hatsan Flash

Howdy everyone.

Next week I should be receiving a new Hatsan Flash QE in .22. For most of this week I've been researching both the Flash itself and the pump I ordered for it (Air Venturi/Hill MK4). I anticipate liking very much both the Flash and the MK4. But before they get here, I'd be grateful for others' suggestions/experiences in the "first things" to do with both the weapon and the pump.

As an example, I've heard of people who clean the barrel before the first shot. Should this be done? If so, how? What oil/cleaner to use? Also, how to properly care for both. Of course I'll read the manuals provided, and continue researching.

So, yeah...looking for those kinds of things from those of you who know your way around PCPs and accessories.

Also, I haven't purchased a scope for the Flash. Again, recommendations either way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

well,,absolutely clean the barrel and the rest of the rifle while your at it. Who nows what machining byproducts may have been left in or on the rifle.get ya some silicon oil (it's like 3-1 oil but won't harm your seals and o-rings) and a can of ballistol. Be sure to use the silicon oil on your Hill pump.Do not use a bare metal cleaning rod or copper or steel bore brushes. Check out AEAC channel,or tomcats channel for good description and explanations of the procedures they use. As I gaze into my crystal ball I see,I see! I SEE YOU !! getting a Yong Heng compressor ,lol have fun

I received my Flash QE .22 a week or so ago. I was waiting on the scope I wanted and had some fill anxiety, so didn't shoot much until a couple of days ago to zero out the scope. I found a Hill hand pump locally for a good price, and feel better about being able to top off my gun. PCP guns are new to me, my experience being with a break barrel .22. I have around 158 iguana kills with it, so I should be able to take it to the next level now. 

Updates to follow... 

well,,absolutely clean the barrel and the rest of the rifle while your at it. Who nows what machining byproducts may have been left in or on the rifle.get ya some silicon oil (it's like 3-1 oil but won't harm your seals and o-rings) and a can of ballistol. Be sure to use the silicon oil on your Hill pump.Do not use a bare metal cleaning rod or copper or steel bore brushes. Check out AEAC channel,or tomcats channel for good description and explanations of the procedures they use. As I gaze into my crystal ball I see,I see! I SEE YOU !! getting a Yong Heng compressor ,lol have fun

Clean barrel and give entire weapon a good once-over; check.

Ballistoil; check. No metal for cleaning barrel; check

There are several YT channels with the name "Tomcat," and I'm not sure which one you're referencing.

I checked out powered compressors...yeah, don't think so.

Thanks for the checklist.

well,it already comes with a picatinny rail that attaches to the bottom of the forestock just for a bi-pod or laser or torch. Attaching anything directly to the barrel/shroud may affect point of impact and or accuracy. Barrel shroud dia on my flashpup,which I believe is the same as the QE is .792ths and moderator/shroud dia is 1.067ths. The air cylinder dia is 1.380ths

I checked out powered compressors...yeah, don't think so

lol,We'll see, we'll see

well,it already comes with a picatinny rail that attaches to the bottom of the forestock just for a bi-pod or laser or torch. Attaching anything directly to the barrel/shroud may affect point of impact and or accuracy. Barrel shroud dia on my flashpup,which I believe is the same as the QE is .792ths and moderator/shroud dia is 1.067ths. The air cylinder dia is 1.380ths

I am considering a bipod, but only rarely would I shoot from a belly position.

I've already created a rudimentary "cradle" for my Daisy 880. It's certainly nothing fancy, but I think I like it so far. It was painfully easy to make, and just thought I could create a wider pair of notches for the barrel of the Flash to rest in. It would simply be a cradle for the barrel; no attaching or clamping. Thanks for those numbers.

I checked out powered compressors...yeah, don't think so

lol,We'll see, we'll see

Indeed, but unless my finances start looking dramatically healthier, it's very unlikely. Of course, you could give me yours....

I have a 4x12 cp spectrum ffp scope on my flash. I really like it, the reticle took a little getting used to but the scope is light, clear and does its job perfectly. Between it and the Flash rabbits at 100yrd are headed to the pot.

I bought a Barska 3-9x32 scope that I was thinking I could use on the Flash. But I'm not sure it's a good fit (not physically) for the Flash. So I've set it up on my Daisy 880, for which my shots would have a maximum distance of 40 yards. It seems to work for the Daisy. Besides, it was pretty inexpensive.

Could you give me a link to the scope you use on your Flash?

Thanks.

@StanMI

As it's been a bit over a month now with my new gear so it's time to give an update.

Again, I purchased new a Hatsan Flash QE in .22; Air Venturi MK4 pump (with Dry-Pac); UTG 3-12x44 30mm Scope. Also, I've been using JSB exclusively. I started with the Exact Jumbo Heavy (18.1), having used only those up until very recently, when I purchased the JSB "Sampler" (Exact Jumbo Heavy @ 18.1g; Exact Jumbo Monster @ 25.4g; Exact Jumbo RS @13.4g; Straton Jumbo @15.9g).

Anyway, the 18.1g always shot well. I then started using more of the EJS 13.4, which also shot well. So far I have yet to use either of the two others (EJM 25.4g and Straton Jumbo 15.9), as I'm saving them for crows and other large ground-based vermin.

Next, the scope. Well, seeing as this scope is really my first one, I can hardly imagine how a scope can get better, although I'm sure they can. But for my purposes (less-than-60 yards at pests), it works very, very well. I just love it. And actually, it was probably three weeks before I even turned on the lighted reticle, and I have yet to have occasion to use it. So, yeah...love the scope.

As for the Flash QE itself, well, let's just say that as of late the vermin have been very reluctant to show themselves. I do miss, but not a lot. Most of my shots are at about 45 yards, and this thing has been a consistent performer. It's been predictable and deadly.

The open, synthetic stock works well for me, overall the Flash is relatively easy to manage, and it's really been a pleasurable experience.

If I was to offer one "complaint," it would be that, to me, the safety switch is just a bit too in the trigger area AND it feels like it could be bent/broken relatively easily. Now, that's not happened, but I am careful about not applying side pressure to it (I sometimes use it as a rest for my shooting finger). But, I will say that the safety in the "ON" position feels substantial, not allowing really any movement of the trigger.

So, I'll sum up by saying that I am in no way disappointed with my purchases (well, except for the Hatsan bipod which didn't last long). The Flash QE, the UTG scope, the Hill pump and the JSB ammo have so far all performed as well as I could expect.

And last but not least, Pyramyd Air, from whom I made all of these purchases, provided excellent sales advice before the sale, and equally excellent support after the sale.

P.S. I almost forgot to thank Airgun Nation for providing this free-to-use forum. It was very helpful to me when I was first doing my research, and I intend to continue to use it as my airgun journey continues.

Nice update. I got mine around the same time as you. I was having a lot of problems with the feeding of the pellets, but it turned out that the o-ring that goes just inside the breech was missing. Since replacing it with one of several that came with the Flash, I've been very pleased with the way it feeds.

I purchased a 45 minute SCBA tank from a fellow forum member and took it a paintball shop and had it filled to 4500 psi. I've been shooting a lot, and it's only down to like 3800. I haven't pushed on the Hill pump once since getting it. I'm thinking about selling it. I was able to get the tank cheap (~$100) because it only had 4 years of life left. They pop up from time to time. Check it out.

@GiveEmLead

Sorry to hear about the early issues, and am glad you were able to get it resolved relatively easily.

Considering the amount of money I've invested already in this entire setup, my desire to manually fill the gun (for exercise purposes), how far away the ocean is, and the increasing scarcity of pests, I do not see in my future any non-manual method for air-filling. But I am very glad that you've found a good deal for yourself.

Hi there, I have loved my Flash and have shot it a TON. The only issue I have had is some slight rounding of the front corner where the bolt slides down as you chamber a pellet. I eventually had to take a dremel to it to keep the bolt locked down. Basically I had to grind it to 90-degrees again. I did tell Hatsan about this and they said I was pushing downward to hard as I rolled it forward. (I think this is BS but it's neither here nor there.) Anyway, 5 minutes to do this resurfacing and it has been 100% reliable. 

I hope you have a great time with your gun too!

Hi there, I have loved my Flash and have shot it a TON. The only issue I have had is some slight rounding of the front corner where the bolt slides down as you chamber a pellet. I eventually had to take a dremel to it to keep the bolt locked down. Basically I had to grind it to 90-degrees again. I did tell Hatsan about this and they said I was pushing downward to hard as I rolled it forward. (I think this is BS but it's neither here nor there.) Anyway, 5 minutes to do this resurfacing and it has been 100% reliable. 

I hope you have a great time with your gun too!

My Flash has continued to perform well for me; no issues at all. I did recently run some "Air Venturi Quick Cleaning Pellets .22 Cal, 80ct Air Venturi Quick" through it as I had not done that since my purchase (and some 500 (?) rounds later). 

Just a note that I posted twice over on Airgun Nation regarding my Flash and JSB pellets. You may find one or both useful. They're just me sharing my experiences and asking for feedback. They can be found at https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/jsbs-22-hatsan-flash-qe-2/ and https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/jsbs-22-hatsan-flash-qe/.