First test zan lead free .22 cal and .25 cal

Could you please post a few close-up photos of the " ZAN Lead-Free SLUGS " next to the "Lead-Free PELLETS " for length comparison ?.. :unsure:

EXAMPLE:
IMG_3007.jpeg

.25 cal 16.54-grain GTO Pellet / .25 cal 19.91-grain H&N Baracuda Green Pellet / .25 cal 30-grain H&N LEAD SLUG.

Some thoughts and observations on lead free ammo. I've been shooting lead free since the early 1990's. Although I shoot lead pellets too I try to use lead free when possible.

Go back to the prometheus pellets. I bought tons of prometheus and dynamics to shoot.

Prometheus always shot good out certain airguns. To keep them performing you had to clean barrel often to keep plastic from building up. My RWS .177 md 34 or 36 would shoot them with best of them. Max range was .25 yards. It loved the green plastic ones that were around 11 grains.

Surprisingly my Airforce condor .22cal liked the 9 grain bullet shaped prometheus. With no wind they were accurate to 40 yards. The weirdest thing I had the power wheel all the way up. Still makes no sense that they would shoot so good. If I kept the barrel clean of plastic it would shoot them all day.

Wy wildfire wouldn't shot anything. I finally tried gto's and was impressed with the results. The gto's would give me 1/2 groups at 20 yards. That was good for a 500 lb trigger. Lol. I shot some lead into foam and recovered the pellets. They all were deformed when they intered barrel. I believe the harder lead free material is more forgiving in the semi auto.

I was hoping the dynamics would expand on their options. What ever I shot them out of they performed well. Nothing to write home about but manageable. I used them mostly out of my pcp 's. One day tired them in my .177 cal stoeger and they did great. They would shoot 1/4 groups at 20 yards. I have boxes of the dynamics in .177 and .22 cal that are 20 years old. Look like there new. I loaded up some in my Gamo fusion .22cal swarm. To my surprise they fit the mag and would put them inside 50 cent piece all day out to thirty yards.

Now the Diana Skyhawk .25 cal that I won the barrel lottery would stack the gto's all day with dime size groups at 40 yards. Its has been my go to squirrel gun. My huntsman .25 loves the h&n greens. It will shot all day at 50 yards against any lead pellet I have.

When it comes to long range shooting lead free can do it but I think it is limited to 50 yards. I believe it can be done with .30 cals and up. A longer slug with a little more wieght. The lead free are good for lower powered guns to get faster fps.

With all this experience I'm hoping the zans will perform and give the airgun community another options for lead free shooting. My hope are high. The Zans look good in my .22 cal Disco. Will chrony them and post as soon as I can.

Summary:
Keep barrel clean.
If needed to oil keep oil to minimum in barrel. I use lemon pledge in my barrels.
Gto's and greens .25 like 890 fps, and the.22 call gto's like 800 fps in my airguns.
Wind definitely plays a big part in there performance.
Side note: lead free perform great in my 1377 and 1322.
Happy shooting!
I'm partial to the crosman red flight .22 and the gold flight .177🤪🤙my 2289 drifter setup lovvvvvesss the reds and my p17 pretty much stacks gold flights. But I can't afford more right now so I saved some 🥴

Reactions: Malsonb
I shot the gamo swarm magnum yesterday. Top shots and the very bottom just outside the red was sight in. The shots in the red was my final 3 from mag. Off the bench and sand bags at 25 yards. It was windy but I think theese will work fine out of my swarm magnum. All cycled great in the magazine. I have only put about 40 shots through it. It should get better as it brakes in.

20230326_142526.jpg

Reactions: Triglav and PERRO
Chrony with Gamo swarm magnum. 22.
Two strings: waxed and non waxed.
Interesting results!

Bought some new wax to try. I was Out of lemon pledge. Prep for waxed lead free Zans was a little different than I do for pledge. This particular wax was thick. I used 1/2 tsp in a bowl. Dropped in zans and heated with hair dryer until slugs were hot to touch and wax was melted. I rolled the around in the bowl. Once they were coated placed them on a paper towel and rolled excess wax off. They were very slippery to touch.

First string was non waxed.
715. Hi:784 Low:695 AVG:719

Second string waxed.
716,739,743,747,746,735 748 745,739,
HI:754 LOW:716 AVG:741

My thoughts:
Ninety percent of my airguns increase with waxed pellets. And most increase more when I wax barrel too. The Gamo has never been cleaned.

The regular zans were spread apart. The 784 was a surprise with most of them in lower 700. The waxed was more consistent but lower than I expected. With 784 # I was thinking the waxed ones would be 760 and above.

Judging by the velocity I still have some breaking in with Gamo to be done. I am all out of regular zans. A few waxed one left. My plan is to shoot other pellets through it until I know I'm over 500 pellets down range. I will chrony again at that point. My hope is US dealers will have them in stock. I don't want to pay 48$ sh again.
Side note: I will try the .25 zans in my Huntsman with single shot tray and in mag with waxed ones. I'm hoping I can get them to shoot better.
Here's a pic of the wax I used!
Thanks,
Brian

20230402_135054.jpg

Reactions: PERRO and Triglav
Chrony with Gamo swarm magnum. 22.
Two strings: waxed and non waxed.
Interesting results!

Bought some new wax to try. I was Out of lemon pledge. Prep for waxed lead free Zans was a little different than I do for pledge. This particular wax was thick. I used 1/2 tsp in a bowl. Dropped in zans and heated with hair dryer until slugs were hot to touch and wax was melted. I rolled the around in the bowl. Once they were coated placed them on a paper towel and rolled excess wax off. They were very slippery to touch.

First string was non waxed.
715. Hi:784 Low:695 AVG:719

Second string waxed.
716,739,743,747,746,735 748 745,739,
HI:754 LOW:716 AVG:741

My thoughts:
Ninety percent of my airguns increase with waxed pellets. And most increase more when I wax barrel too. The Gamo has never been cleaned.

The regular zans were spread apart. The 784 was a surprise with most of them in lower 700. The waxed was more consistent but lower than I expected. With 784 # I was thinking the waxed ones would be 760 and above.

Judging by the velocity I still have some breaking in with Gamo to be done. I am all out of regular zans. A few waxed one left. My plan is to shoot other pellets through it until I know I'm over 500 pellets down range. I will chrony again at that point. My hope is US dealers will have them in stock. I don't want to pay 48$ sh again.
Side note: I will try the .25 zans in my Huntsman with single shot tray and in mag with waxed ones. I'm hoping I can get them to shoot better.
Here's a pic of the wax I used!
Thanks,
Brian

View attachment 345207
Do you think I'd get similar results with the Hatsan mod. 125 (spring version)?
I reckon my mod. 125 would certainly be able to shoot 25.39 JSBs at some 750 fps at this stage... I've barely gone past the 100 pellets mark at this point, if so at all. Old guy Kenny (may he Rest In Peace) made a video on how the Hatsan 125 springer performed after 3 and a half years... It shot 25.39 Monsters at 685-690 fps on average.

By the way, how many rounds have you had through your Gamo Magnum so far and how heavy are these lead free Žans, that you've shot through it? I'm genuinely curious, as to how these pellets perform out of your magnum springer, or is it IGT powered?

I'm terribly sorry for all of these question, all at once, but I'm kind of looking forward to shooting slugs out my Hatsan myself. Have a good one!

Are these lead free slugs made of of bismuth? If so, how much harder is bismuth in comparison to lead (a practical example in these pellets)?
Also, were any of the slugs bloated, up to a point where you'd have a hard time chambering them?
Can not find anything on what they are made of. They were all loaded fine. Seemed to be uniform.

Do you think I'd get similar results with the Hatsan mod. 125 (spring version)?
I reckon my mod. 125 would certainly be able to shoot 25.39 JSBs at some 750 fps at this stage... I've barely gone past the 100 pellets mark at this point, if so at all. Old guy Kenny (may he Rest In Peace) made a video on how the Hatsan 125 springer performed after 3 and a half years... It shot 25.39 Monsters at 685-690 fps on average.

By the way, how many rounds have you had through your Gamo Magnum so far and how heavy are these lead free Žans, that you've shot through it? I'm genuinely curious, as to how these pellets perform out of your magnum springer, or is it IGT powered?

I'm terribly sorry for all of these question, all at once, but I'm kind of looking forward to shooting slugs out my Hatsan myself. Have a good one!
Theese are 15 grains. Not sure about the Hatsan. I do know Gamo"s barrel are hammer forged which helps with slugs. I have under 100 rounds through it. I think as it brakes it should get better. I doubt if they will shoot anywhere close to the speeds of gto's. With slug making more contact with barrel will keep it slower.

Reactions: PERRO and Triglav
Theese are 15 grains. Not sure about the Hatsan. I do know Gamo"s barrel are hammer forged which helps with slugs. I have under 100 rounds through it. I think as it brakes it should get better. I doubt if they will shoot anywhere close to the speeds of gto's. With slug making more contact with barrel will keep it slower.
I thought 15gr slugs would travel a bit faster, but hey 720 fps on average, with the unwaxed is still pretty good for a break barrel, even if it's a magnum one.
Thank you for sharing all of this with us. You definitely get a like!

Reactions: PERRO
I thought 15gr slugs would travel a bit faster, but hey 720 fps on average, with the unwaxed is still pretty good for a break barrel, even if it's a magnum one.
Thank you for sharing all of this with us. You definitely get a like!
When I get time I'll compare them to gto's, H&N greens and lead that are the same wieght.

Reactions: Triglav