• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Squirrel with an Air Gun

FINALLY got to go out with my FX Maverick .25, of course it was WINDY, gusting 5+ mph and variable direction. Got the FX sighted in for 75 yards and low and behold this
ground squirrel sits up nice and pretty. Now, in all honesty it did take me two pellets to put it out of it's misery. JSB 26.54 Hades 940 fps. Had a few other possibilities but wind was a touch nasty.

IMG_1448.jpeg

@HogKiller Nice shooting. It showed up 75 yards out?
Yes, it's a horse arena, there is a tree with a couple of tables, I have a real nice field of fire in the shade. I normally use my A17 Savage but there is a dog that doesn't like powder burners so I got the FX. Without the wind I would have gotten about 7 of them. Still getting use to pellets. Might bump up to slugs if need be.

IMG_9375.jpeg

Wow! That squirrel is almost invisible with that background! (grin)

And I thought I had problems with camouflaged pests! (LOL!)

All I shoot is .177 and I do have to make a "finishing" shot sometimes. But not often. Location, Location, Location. Accuracy/Precision is everything, regardless of caliber. JMHO (smile)
Did I mention WINDY? Not a breeze but gusting wind. Normally I just blow their guts out with my .17 HMR. Shot placement :ROFLMAO:

I have killed squirrels with most common caliber pellets but probably the majority being .22, now I shoot .30 a lot and get surprised by good shots that don’t immediately put these critters down, they are really tough sometimes.
Which ammo are you using in your .30cal? I have has fantastic terminal performance with FX Hybrid Slugs.

Yes, it's a horse arena, there is a tree with a couple of tables, I have a real nice field of fire in the shade. I normally use my A17 Savage but there is a dog that doesn't like powder burners so I got the FX. Without the wind I would have gotten about 7 of them. Still getting use to pellets. Might bump up to slugs if need be. View attachment 281841
@HogKiller 75 yards is nothing to scoff at. Nicely done. That’s some beautiful looking property too.

I have been shooting JSB Hades, which have been really accurate in my uragan, I picked up the hybrid slugs but they don’t cycle through the mag so I have been hunting with the exacts.
That's unfortunate that the magazine fails to work properly with slugs. I'd try single loading them, and I'm sure you'll be impressed!