First Springer Either a Diana 54 Air King or a Weihrauch HW 95L Field pro

I want a rifle that is accurate and quality for Suirrels , rabbits , Pigeons and small game and target . I own several rifles in the common caliber 22LR,556,762X39,308,7.5X55 ,762X54,and 45/70. . Pretty good out to 200-500 yards. This rifle would be just a small game rifle for pests management and stealth/economy. I like to buy once and done rather than first ,second ...... shoulda bought that one first. I was interested in a PCP rifle but all the extra stuff and hassle wore me out ! The quality Springer category sounds like a good way to go that can come close to velocities available for 22 cal. pellet PCP guns . I will be out in the field rather than bench gunning so weight is a concern however I am a fit 6.5" 220lbs. Triathlete and outdoorsman. 

Am I looking at the right mix or should I look elsewhere?

I know the Weihrauch is quality and already has a scope and suppressor specs say 755 FPS 9lbs with scope and the Air King has a 900 FPS spec and bit heavier and would need a machinist to be able to thread and crown the barrel for a suppressor IE "DonnyFL" . I do have a great Vortex Scope already I could use for the project 4X14 FFP .

I'm a firm believer in the fixed barrel guns. My vote would be the 54 or possibly a TX200, both are capable of great accuracy. If hunting is the primary use the 54 has more power potential and you are certainly strong enough to cock it. Be aware though, they are certified scope killers. Another advantage to the sidelever of the 54 is having an uninterrupted area of the forestock to mount a tripod if desired. The sliding action also makes them MUCH less hold sensitive as well.

Many of us started out with springers. I have a Diana 45,52 and a 54 due on Tuesday. I also have an Impact and an SK-19 and several others I put together. Knowing what I know now, after many years with airguns, if I was purchasing a gun to carry around and wanted to shoot over 50 yards I would get a PCP. Cuz what a good springer will shoot at 50 yards, which is usually an inch, a decent PCP will do at 100 and they weigh less as well. Otherwise if a good springer will due and you don't mind the weight, and usually single shot capacity, you have made a good choice.

I have 2 Diana 48’s and a HW95 (R9). I would way rather lug the HW95 around. I would say the accuracy is on par at 50. My R9 is in .20 cal which will give a little flatter trajectory out to 60 yards. Also if you are a powder burner you might look into the SIG ASP 20. Very powerful 23 FOOTPOUNDS, easy to cock, quiet, and sling studs built in. Synthetic stock that is exceptional if you carry through woods/brush. I get good groups (1 inch. To 1.25 inch) at 75 yards. I have posted some groups on this forum. Balances and shoots off hand exceptionally. Not a tinkerers rifle, but great warranty. Just my 2 cents. Look up some YouTube vids.

I think that you’re starting off on the right track. Although I have several quality PCPs, most of my hunting is done with my hw97k or hw50s, both in .177. They are plenty accurate out to 40 yards and I love the simplicity of being able to just grab pellets and be out as long as I want.

Of the two on your list, I’d go hw95 by a mile. I’m in good shape too, but lugging around anything has heavy as an RWS54 gets old fast. Even an hw95 needs a sling if you’re out for more than an hour or two.

The hw95 is easy to service or tune and can shoot accurately at power levels of between 10fpe and 15fpe. If you already have a quality scope, then buying from Krale would probably offer you the best value. Suppressors are a gimmick with spring guns because most of the noise is due to mechanical movement of the spring/piston.

Good luck

R

The Sig.was sorta made as a pellet rifle for powder burner shooters .The others you mention I have in a model 52...it is one of the most powerful springers,it is also a side lever and accurate,a little heavier than others....love the HW95....a favorite of mine...I will tell you the best of all worlds,though almost impossible to get now ,a English made Webely Tomahawk! So check out the Sig...it costs less and could be the one,spend more and get the all time favorite HW95.Oh the Tomahawk and RWS are rather large air guns and would properly fit you better....just a thought.

Having owned a couple of 54s, I would take a look at the Diana 56. I think the stock is worth the extra money, particularly for what you indicated. Within the last six weeks, I have posted two reviews of this rifle, one before custom tune and one after, on this forum. They might help you with your decision.

BTW, the 54 and the 56 are basically the same rifle, just stocked different and the 56 has no open sights, which to me just get in the way anyway....

EDIT: sorry, I just re-read your post and I see the point you were making regarding the longer distances. :) I'll leave this but now I get the analogy you made!

Just keep in mind that even a .25 cal PCP shooting at 900 fps, you'll be dealing with about a 10-foot drop at 200 yards (from a 48-yard zero). IMHO, anything over 100 yards with a springer is a loooong way. I have owned a 34 in .177 and a 350 in .22 and a 48 in .22 and loved them all. Definitely NOT a springer hater here. Just trying to make sure expectations are realistic! 

Here is the drop trajectory I mentioned. Any springer's trajectory would be much more dramatic than thig.

1578358057_8585549465e13d529394929.83260194_drop.jpg

atter many you tube reviews it seemed like the 54 had less recoil and less Springer vibration or Twang than the 95 and other Springers but still had a 900 FPS rating wear other shad a lower FPS rating but seems lowder than the 54 .

I know a lot of the you Tube vids have so many variables regarding microphone quality and distance , ambient surround sound , vegetation ,altitude from the sound maker etc . 

just trying to make the best buy instead of 5 buys!!!!

Cheers Mike

Those are two very different rifles! The 54 is almost 10 lbs to start, and once you fit a scope it will be over 11 lbs. That makes for a heavy and bulky package to be hauling around the woods hunting squirrels. The safe bets for a first air rifle are the HW95 or Diana 34. Both are about 7.5 lbs without scope, which makes for a much handier package. I like .177 caliber in that class rifle for the flat trajectory, and because the pellets are cheap. And as others have said, springers don't benefit much from a moderator, they are already fairly quiet. I think you would be happy with either one.