• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A First Springer Advice

Problem solved. Get one of each. 30,35,50 95. AOA. Around $ 1,800. And I would get the Hw30 s Deluxe. If it was me , nicer looking stock. cheaper than a high end pcp , last years and years longer go for it. NeXT probably who has any in stock 🤔😬😀😀😀
Last I looked AoA had a 30deluxe in 20. Possibly a neat option that might not be available for some time. I like the 30s in 17 but a 20 with peeps might be a really fun and useful yard gun.
Just a thought. 🤔

Well, I decided on the 30 in .177 and then could not find one in stock anywhere, so I changed my selection to a 35 in .177 that I found in stock at Krale's. It is not the deluxe version with sling swivels and what I assume is better wood, but I don't require fancy wood. I originally wanted the 30 for the lighter weight and smaller size, and I am not sure I will like the barrel release latch, but I have a feeling I am going to like it just fine.

I know it is childish to give so many "likes" out so fast, but I am truly impressed with the quantity, quality and speed of the comments I got. Thank you very much. Now, any tips on what brand of pellets to start testing with? I don't want to spend a lot all at once buying a half dozen cans of match at $15 and up, so I think I would like to start with one or two brands. I have no air rifle now, but I am guessing it would be JSB or H&N wadcutters. Should I start with the lighter weights?

Reactions: Zut
Please post pictures of your new gun. I don’t think anyone has posted a picture of this new stock as of yet. Congratulations! You picked a winner and probably the best value in an airgun made today. These two pellets will cover every base with that gun. The Crosman Premier HP’s for plinking/pesting. The Meisterkugeln for target shooting.

2A6707A5-FC5D-4958-B440-9981E5AB13B6.jpeg

DC32CB74-D11C-4577-8483-40DA37DE3A42.jpeg

The RWS Meisters are a great 10M pellet. For longer distance a dome pellet is probably better because of the speed the 35 is going to shoot them. Every HW I have shoots H&N well, and all my HW except the 35E shoot JSB well. Too loose in the breech, can actually fall out loading. It loves the H&N Field Target Trophy.

Well, I decided on the 30 in .177 and then could not find one in stock anywhere, so I changed my selection to a 35 in .177 that I found in stock at Krale's. It is not the deluxe version with sling swivels and what I assume is better wood, but I don't require fancy wood. I originally wanted the 30 for the lighter weight and smaller size, and I am not sure I will like the barrel release latch, but I have a feeling I am going to like it just fine.

I know it is childish to give so many "likes" out so fast, but I am truly impressed with the quantity, quality and speed of the comments I got. Thank you very much. Now, any tips on what brand of pellets to start testing with? I don't want to spend a lot all at once buying a half dozen cans of match at $15 and up, so I think I would like to start with one or two brands. I have no air rifle now, but I am guessing it would be JSB or H&N wadcutters. Should I start with the lighter weights?
Congratulations on a new HW35 . Mine likes H&N Field Target Trophy in 4.50 head diameter. BTW, I have not had better performance with JSB pellets over H&N pellets in any of my Weihrauch guns in .177 cal.

The thumb latch will become second nature to you. I use the latch while closing the barrel most of the time . just to keep from wearing the receiver a bit.

Pics are a must!
Z

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Last I looked AoA had a 30deluxe in 20. Possibly a neat option that might not be available for some time. I like the 30s in 17 but a 20 with peeps might be a really fun and useful yard gun.
Just a thought. 🤔
I have an R7 in .20 with peep sights and it is indeed a handy little critter killer and beautiful on top of that. Light, handy, and accurate. No complaints from me except I wish JSB would make the Hades in .20 for it and my other .20s. For the record, it prefers the lighter JSB and FTTs.

IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0702.jpg
IMG_0705 (1).jpg
IMG_0706.jpg

Well, my HW35K arrived today, I ordered it from Kale's 2 days ago. The outer box was badly damaged, so I was concerned. The factory box inside was also damaged, but less so, and I was still concerned. But the rifle was not harmed at all.

Our heat index here in SC is way over 100 but I could not wait, so I cleaned the bore and shot a few maiden pellets. It was Crossman 7.9gr hollow points and the first 5 are in the upper dot and were shot from sitting on the ground, no bench, from 10 meters. The second 5 are on the left and were shot offhand, same distance. I then shot 5 more on swinging targets at 20 meters, offhand. I am not sure how it would do with a scope off a benchrest, but I will only shoot it offhand and sitting so this is good news for me. It may even get better after I get used to the trigger, lighten the trigger and break in the barrel. This was my first experience trying to shoot with the "artillery hold" that I read about, and I hope to improve with that. Finally, I do have match grade pellets to try when it is a little more broken in.

I had trouble locating a suitable HW30 or HW35 in stock anywhere, so I was apprehensive when ordering this one. Looking at pictures, I did not like the look of the benchrest cut aways on the bottom of the butt stock or the cocking latch for the barrel but decided to live with them. Also, I could not find a 35E with the great walnut stock and expected to be unimpressed with the wood on the K model. No worries. In person, I like the look of the rifle, including the wood, the latch and the shape of the stock. I love the heft, balance and feel of the rifle, and I very much like the use of the latch in operation. Not sure why every break barrel does not use one.

Now, if I could just remember to turn off the automatic safety . . . .

Very nice. I‘d suggest you break in with pellets you intend to use or similar. Well-documented that the alloy in CPs is harder than JSB, H&N, etc. In guns shooting over 700 FPS it can leave fouling in the barrel that then has to be cleaned out when you switch pellets. The softer pellets won’t clear it out. If you’re shooting irons might want to try some type of peep/diopter on the rear someday. Enjoy!

Reactions: Mycapt65 and sjs
Thanks for that warning cjtamu, I had not heard that before. I have some H&N match and some RWS match and I will switch to those tomorrow. I did clean the bore after shooting today, and with the ease of the patch worm manner of cleaning I will do so routinely. I shot a few hundred today and am starting to think I will not adjust the trigger after all. A really enjoyable rifle in all respects. I am even enjoying the light touch artillery hold and expect to improve with that technique. What a wonderful hobby we have with precision tools like this available to us.

Reactions: jbuchse17
Hey SJS,
I have (3) HW35E's, (2) HW50S's and a HW30s - all (.177) great guns. You can't go wrong with either .... :)
The HW50S seems to be the best combination of power and manageability for me(y), even though I adore my HW35E's.
The HW30S is the easiest shooting plinker there is - very accurate; ... if used properly >--> enough power up to 35/40 yards.

Last edited:
View attachment 379592View attachment 379593View attachment 379594View attachment 379595

Well, my HW35K arrived today, I ordered it from Kale's 2 days ago. The outer box was badly damaged, so I was concerned. The factory box inside was also damaged, but less so, and I was still concerned. But the rifle was not harmed at all.

Our heat index here in SC is way over 100 but I could not wait, so I cleaned the bore and shot a few maiden pellets. It was Crossman 7.9gr hollow points and the first 5 are in the upper dot and were shot from sitting on the ground, no bench, from 10 meters. The second 5 are on the left and were shot offhand, same distance. I then shot 5 more on swinging targets at 20 meters, offhand. I am not sure how it would do with a scope off a benchrest, but I will only shoot it offhand and sitting so this is good news for me. It may even get better after I get used to the trigger, lighten the trigger and break in the barrel. This was my first experience trying to shoot with the "artillery hold" that I read about, and I hope to improve with that. Finally, I do have match grade pellets to try when it is a little more broken in.

I had trouble locating a suitable HW30 or HW35 in stock anywhere, so I was apprehensive when ordering this one. Looking at pictures, I did not like the look of the benchrest cut aways on the bottom of the butt stock or the cocking latch for the barrel but decided to live with them. Also, I could not find a 35E with the great walnut stock and expected to be unimpressed with the wood on the K model. No worries. In person, I like the look of the rifle, including the wood, the latch and the shape of the stock. I love the heft, balance and feel of the rifle, and I very much like the use of the latch in operation. Not sure why every break barrel does not use one.

Now, if I could just remember to turn off the automatic safety . . . .
Congratulations on the HW35 keep us postead and about soft versus hard pellet thing Well I’m note on the belief

Hi SpiralGroove, do they show a common preference for any particular ammo or is each rifle particular in its taste?
All different and that’s across all brands of rifles. Most of my HW shoot both JSB and H&N very well, but I have a couple that prefer H&N. Most of my Dianas hate JSB, but my 56T/H loves them. Even the same model of gun can differ. Accuracy, speed, power, and consistency all matter. You need a chronograph to measure the last three. If you stick with it you’ll end up with one ha ha.

Hi SpiralGroove, do they show a common preference for any particular ammo or is each rifle particular in its taste?
My Go To Pellets are:
- HW30S - AA 7.33 gr, 2nd best JSB 7.33 gr.
- HW35E/HW50S - all prefer AA 7.87, the boxed CPL 7.9 were also great, but they don't make 'em anymore.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new 35. It’s a beauty. Good shooting. It is a very well balanced rifle. Probably why it’s the oldest model springer still made today, I think, of any company still in existence. Nearly 75 years.
JSB pellets were accurate in my PCP’s, (when I once had them), but not in my Weihrauch springers. I’ve been using CPHP’s forever it seems. Never had an accuracy drop when switching to others. Have dozens of other pellets, but always seem to grab the CPHP’s. Cheap, accurate and U.S made. Money saved is money earned.