First shot POI

Anybody else check their first shot POI in preparation for hunting season? I got new P35s in 177 and 22 caliber and have been getting them ready for our October 1 opener for small game season. I adjusted the zero to an estimated 38-40 yards (can't shoot past 33 in my yard) and found the POI was moving a bit day to day. The 177 has been fine for several days now so I am confident in it. The Athlon 6-24 on my 22 was scaring me but yesterday it was the same in the afternoon as the morning and this morning it was still the same. All were slightly low for 25 where I check when it's windy as it is today. So I turned it up a few clicks and seem to have it dialed in. Now if it holds that when I check after lunch I think I may use it first. Saturday is looking bad here due to Ira but I should have a chance to get out early next week.

My scopes all cost about $200 so they are definitely not high end. They work fine. But sometimes it seems to take them awhile to settle after adjustment. So I like to take them out and shoot a few shots once or twice a day to make sure they are staying sighted in. If it's windy like it is today I don't worry if the impact is a little in the direction the wind is blowing but if it moves opposite to the wind or moves much in elevation I start to worry a bit about the scope. The POI on the P35-22 initially moved due to the shroud moving forward allowing the shorter hair curler to tilt and get in the way of pellets causing clipping (I had an issue in the shroud). I turned the Athlon all the way to the limit down before I figured out it was clipping. But after I fixed the shroud and resighted the first few checks had the POI moving an inch or so at 25 yards - a lot. But after that it has been at most a few clicks off.

I enjoy finding an accurate pellet for new rifles and on the P35s changing the shrouds to make them quiet and checking penetration in wet paper of the pellets they like. All part of my process for "getting ready". Verifying first shot POI is about the last step for me.

@JimD I tend to re-check my zero as the temps rise and drop. As for checking my POI, I do that when I target shoot. Most of my guns are shrouded so I don’t notice a lot of POI shifts. I’m usually looking at where that first shot hits. I pay close attention to it when I shoot targets with pictures of animals on them. Between the eyes or between the eye and ear and I’m good to go. Before hitting the woods when the temps change I will shoot a mag or two at my pellet trap to be sure I’m good to go.

Have you chronographed a shot string with the P35? If so, in what velocity range are you shooting?

Reactions: N2 Shooter
when the POI changes much, i assume it's me shooting it slightly different. :)

if i have the opportunity, i "acclimate" my gear ahead of time by leaving it set out on the bench ~an hour before i start.

d35027sep2021b.JPG

…if i have the opportunity, i "acclimate" my gear ahead of time by leaving it set out on the bench ~an hour before i start.
@pdxFrank That’s a good point. I do that too before hunting, especially when there’s a 20 degree (or more) difference between inside and outside temps. If I’m shooting targets I may set the rifle out 15-40 minutes before shooting on warmer days.

Reactions: pdxFrank
Anybody else check their first shot POI in preparation for hunting season?
Always and forever. For any gun I will be using for hunting or pest control, I want unquestionable confidence in the first shot.

A gun that produces consistent bughole groups is of no use to me for hunting if the center of the groups moves a half inch from one day to the next, or if the first shot tends to go high or low.

I agree the first shot must be dependable or it isn't a hunting gun. I just shot another with the 22 and it was where I left it this morning. I think it is OK.

I did a 30 shot string with this gun from 230 to 170 bar. That is not a full string, it can be filled to 250 bar and the regulator seems to be set about 150 bar. But over this string, my ES was 16 and my std dev was 3.38 fps.

Always and forever. For any gun I will be using for hunting or pest control, I want unquestionable confidence in the first shot.

A gun that produces consistent bughole groups is of no use to me for hunting if the center of the groups moves a half inch from one day to the next, or if the first shot tends to go high or low.
Pretty much sums up my stance on the subject to a T.

I always check zero on a rifle if it has sat for a spell or been cleaned. Target rifles get verified for zero before leaving, and at the range. Hunting rigs get zeroed and checked before any foray.

My guns are incredibly precise & there's rarely a time that their POI shifted after they've sat in their case, (MAYBE 1 or two scope clicks on a bad day) yet I never, ever start off a day of pesting without first putting 5-8 shots exactly where I want them. I hate seeing critters suffer & taking the time to verify my gun's, & especially, MY accuracy is just a really good habit to get into.

My P35-22 is shooting H&N Baracuda Match pellets, 21.14 grains, at about 835 fps on average. JSB 18s go a bit faster, of course, but weren't quite as accurate. I did not try light 22 caliber pellets because I was pretty sure they would go too fast. I haven't moved the regulator but I did back off on the hammer spring a bit. It was pretty close to being at about the point of max velocity for the reg setting when I got it (unlike my 177 P35 which was several turns too high). Neither the 177 or the 22 accuracy seems to be influenced much by the hammer spring setting, unlike my P35-25 and two other PCPs.

I've been fighting a POI shift on my Condor SS, all of a sudden it hits about 2" left, checked everything was tight and now I've been shooting a group daily and it's been holding fine. Didn't do a thing to it. Frustrating.
@Revin Having you been using the same ammo from the same box/tin as the last time you shot that gun?