First scratch or ding in a new rifle

What do you say in your head? Or what do you do?

When I first got into this sport I woulda thought about it all night. Now that I utilize them in the field I try to avoid them but realize that they happen.

Accidently put a little nick in the new caiman stock today, barely noticeable , but I did say "Kevin you dumbass!"

Then said, we'll it's gunna get more most likely ... 🤷‍♂️
I would probably curse like i have for 50 years working as a mechanic, it comes out quicker than i can stop it.

The first ding always hurts a little, but I like to use my tools and that's part of it. I've learned to love the use marks on guns, knives, etc. There's a story behind every one. Like the bite mark on my Mrod stock courtesy of my buddy Ace... He's gone now, but I smile every time I look at it, as I remember carrying the gun outside and that moment he jumped up and bit the stock. All good stuff.

I take care of my equipment but a scratch in an air gun? No. Maybe if it were a bench beauty but a field gun? No.
I have a couple of shotguns that make my M3 look cost efficient. I still take them out bird hunting and they get some marks on the stocks. Yes they are beautiful to look at but I bought them for the elevated function they provide. Same with my air guns.

I saw this topic and initially ignored it. Until last night. I was hunting squirrel last evening and was packing up to leave my hiding spot when deer showed up. I remained frozen until they left. By then it was almost dark in the woods. Started down a steep slope to the road when I felt the strap let go on my M3. I’m 54 years old but last night I had lightning fast reflexes like I was 18 again. I saved it and discovered I forgot to latch the quick disconnect on my strap. Gun never touched the ground but I still cursed myself so bad that half of me might press charges. Yes, that gun is a tool. But it’s a $3,000 tool. If my hammer or screwdriver was $3k, I wouldn’t use it.

Reactions: 1a2a3m4p
I tend to take good care of “my stuff”. When I look at my tools I used for 35 years I reflect back how many meals these tools helped to put on the table, so I’ve always taken care of them.
Fast forward to retired life and this hobby, I consider myself very very blessed to even own the stuff that I do so I know, if I ruined something due to neglect, I’m probably not gonna get that second chance to spend that same amount to replace it. Money has never grown on any of my trees so the few pricey items I have I take precautions so as to avoid damaging things.

But yes, accident will happen, and if something happened that caused me to say, bend the barrel 30 degrees outwards on my pcp, I’m ok with it knowing I did all I could.

I’m with KAYAKER, as I drive my wife and son crazy with the OCD stuff, like writing notes with a paint pen on our power washer- “WATER MUST BE TURNED ON PRIOR TO START UP” with five exclamation points after it. But, in my defense, I’ve caught someone using my expensive to me power sprayer, letting it idle with no water on. Boy did I chew some a$$!

That person by the way, is not a family member, and is now forbidden to use any tools that require fuel or electricity to operate. Some people deserve to use/own high tech expensive tools, while others just struggle with a tack hammer.

Sometimes I whine and cry a little, sometimes a LOT!

If it's a plain, brand new gun then it can replaced. I will call myself a choice word or two if the damage does not affect its operation. I will do a quick root cause analysis of the incident so hopefully it doesn't happen again. If the damage requires attention the above will be multiplied commensurate with the anticipated time and cost to repair or loss in resale value if it cannot be repaired. If the oops is to remain I will probably have a word for myself every time I look at it.

You didn't ask, but if it is an old, out of production gun with collector value I will forever feel bad. I have always considered myself a temporary caretaker of collector guns. Aside from enjoying them while I have them my job is to one day pass them on in the same condition they came to me so someone else can appreciate them as much as I do. If I damage one even a little then I failed.