First scratch or ding in a new rifle

It may help to look at scratches and dings on a hunting gun like how some young football players look at stick marks on their helmets (from their hits and tackles). Each mark has a story as do scars on our bodies. Most AGN members appear to be men. And as men I think that we probably understand this concept similarly.

I take hunting guns hunting. I know what I paid for them. I know what can happen to them based upon what what’s happened in the past. I accept all that comes with it. If you’re afraid to mar an expensive rifle, it’s probably best not to take it into a situation where it can become damaged. If it’s mainly damaging the stock that’s concerns you, consider buying a synthetic or alternate stock for hunting. The uppers can be wrapped in camo tape or a vinyl wrap can be applied to protect them from a lot of scratches. There are options and I’m sure there are more I haven’t thought of. At least that’s how I see it.
yup! look at this one , man WADA . and this one back here even dumber , then i remember this dumb move got this one on my hand etc,etc 😉😊😁

What do you say in your head? Or what do you do?

When I first got into this sport I woulda thought about it all night. Now that I utilize them in the field I try to avoid them but realize that they happen.

Accidently put a little nick in the new caiman stock today, barely noticeable , but I did say "Kevin you dumbass!"

Then said, we'll it's gunna get more most likely ... 🤷‍♂️
Meh they are tools. I try to mitigate damage but in the end of the day all things from man will perish, so I don't fret about it and use them like I do all my construction tools....

I treat my airguns like I do my shop vacuum. It's also easier to have that mentality depending on the platform you have. I typically buy tough airguns!

I guess my philosophy is why make an idol out of an airgun? It is just a hobby, after all, or a tool for some like me.

Just my 2 cents. I get it when people want to keep things pristine to sell or because of the amount they invested on their airgun. No shame in that! If I had the money to drop on a top of the line airgun like a Daystate Redwolf I would make sure to keep it well maintained. Purpose based response I suppose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy things to use, not to collect I take the best care I can but a little ‘character’ now and then is inevitable. I keep most of my guns stored such that they don’t get damaged and the one currently under the back seat of my truck is in a case so it doesn’t get scarred up from driving around. I don’t give any thought at all to resale value, I buy them to keep and use, not as investments. Maybe that’s why I’m broke so often…..naahhh, that can’t be it.

Rick H.

then ya just don't know how to have fun sir! ;)

View attachment 292603
Yes it's fun
IMG952320.jpg

Reactions: pdxFrank
I said the same thing to myself when my gun dropped off my tripod and rear bag with a new athlon scope on it. With luck it lander on my shooting bench. I think about putting a ding (knock on wood) on my cricket carbine whenever I'm shooting it, so far nada wish they made a synthetic stock for that one I'd buy it. I'm ocd with everything cars,tools,ect but $hit happens btw I drive my wife nuts lol. If you ever sell it there is plenty of info on here to help get the ding out and refinishing the stock if that helps at all lol. I do feel for you, honestly, my time is just around the corner. BTW I've had it for 4yrs now. Darell

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I agree with the “this is a tool” and it will get worn approach, but let’s be honest, the moment you buy a gun not only for the fact that it shoots straight but also for how it looks, that’s when it becomes jewelry. Jewelry is also a tool, a tool meant to look good and every imperfection detracts from its function…

In this case I like the Ferrari or Rolls Royce analogy - Both vehicles will drive just fine with a giant gash on the door, but the pleasure of driving such a vehicle diminishes considerably due to the imperfection. This is probably when it’s best to purchase used. A used gun with already some character marks and a lower price may bring more ease of enjoyment than a new safe queen.

The first scratch is the deepest!

-Marty

Excellent thread that everyone will have a definite opinion on that makes perfect sense to them but doesn't fit anybody else. I have been on both sides of the discussion and it applies to everything we value. Admire it, or admire what it does, cherish flawless beauty or respect battle scars. It comes down to whether or not you want to be a collector or a user, and how much are you into doing the activity it's meant for. Collect classic sports cars, or bring them to track day?, -same thing. I have been hunting and had moments where I was actually looking at my rifle instead of looking for game (I was young), and I saved a while for it and that rifle meant more to me than the hunt. Still does, I have always liked the gun and shooting way more than hunting. Hunting is good for meat or to control varmints, but I can go the store or smoke bomb those woodchucks too. I have figured out that I am not a collector though after ordering a custom rifle and never wanting to shoot it that much. What a waste of potential, so I gave it away to someone who would use it. Unless you're opening an airgun museum, shoot them and let life happen. It's more interesting that way for everyone.