First scratch or ding in a new rifle

What do you say in your head? Or what do you do?

When I first got into this sport I woulda thought about it all night. Now that I utilize them in the field I try to avoid them but realize that they happen.

Accidently put a little nick in the new caiman stock today, barely noticeable , but I did say "Kevin you dumbass!"

Then said, we'll it's gunna get more most likely ... 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: bf1956
nothing, it's just a tool. would ya call yourself a dumbass for scratching a wrench or a tire jack?

and from the looks of some FX type guns, the tire jack might be prettier. :)

No absolutely not and that's kind of how my mindset has evolved , I will day that I do not think my impact would have survived the fall my taipan did 5 weeks ago when the farmer dropped it from 5 feet in the air.

Pick it up and kept shooting. No change.

I just kno that a toolbox is similar and the snap on guys joke about purposely putting a dent in them so that they No longer worry when it happens hahaha

I hunt with all my guns and , heck my things get battle wounds just like I do , then they seasoned , I do try to protect wooden stocks with a cloth based camo , but I prefer synthetics over wood for my pcps , when I shot alot of 22 lr I used to love the ruger 7722 , this model was synthetic with all stainless steel parts and barrel nothing to rust can be used for a walking stick impervious to damage , I prefer my guns like this but they not quite there yet almost

Just like a new truck, eventually the honeymoon is over and I don't worry about it.
@ $87.55K, my farm truck is well protected and i will worry about it using it everyday !
i just retired a 07 farm truck that i got about the same i paid for it on trade in.
because it was in very good shape with 150k miles. (Diesel of course)

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
taking a several grand gun to the woods is something i wouldnt do lol, just like i wouldnt take a nice sports car mudding ...

then ya just don't know how to have fun sir! ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

I’d share the same feelings as CTAirgunner, most especially if I had bought it brand new and it cost a lot.

When I went a stumbling down on gravel and dinged/gouged up my well taken cared of Beeman Rx back in 1998, I swore from them on out synthetic stocks from now on, both in Airguns and PB. That’s just me. It’s not just guns, either, it’s pretty much anything I invested big $$ on.
Probably stems from growing up poor

What do you say in your head? Or what do you do?

When I first got into this sport I woulda thought about it all night. Now that I utilize them in the field I try to avoid them but realize that they happen.

Accidently put a little nick in the new caiman stock today, barely noticeable , but I did say "Kevin you dumbass!"

Then said, we'll it's gunna get more most likely ... 🤷‍♂️
This is why I like synthetic stocks so much more. One less part that can get crunched.

My body has scars also. All of them were unintentional too! And yes I cuss when my things or my body get damaged. Oh well.....I do take reasonable steps every day to protect myself and gear alike; I try not to abuse either. Anything you use and enjoy frequently is going to get wear and tear. Why have a nice air rifle if it just sits in a case or a safe because you're afraid of an accident? Why have anything if you can't enjoy it?

Actually, now that you mention it, the phrase 'what a dumas' (WADA) does come out of me when I realize I've screwed up. Heh.

@ $87.55K, my farm truck is well protected and i will worry about it using it everyday !
i just retired a 07 farm truck that i got about the same i paid for it on trade in.
because it was in very good shape with 150k miles. (Diesel of course)
Lol...my Ram1500 has 156000 miles on it and still going strong. Will run that thing till it is nothing more than a pile of rust.

These are tools, and they deserve to be used!

It may help to look at scratches and dings on a hunting gun like how some young football players look at stick marks on their helmets (from their hits and tackles). Each mark has a story as do scars on our bodies. Most AGN members appear to be men. And as men I think that we probably understand this concept similarly.

I take hunting guns hunting. I know what I paid for them. I know what can happen to them based upon what what’s happened in the past. I accept all that comes with it. If you’re afraid to mar an expensive rifle, it’s probably best not to take it into a situation where it can become damaged. If it’s mainly damaging the stock that’s concerns you, consider buying a synthetic or alternate stock for hunting. The uppers can be wrapped in camo tape or a vinyl wrap can be applied to protect them from a lot of scratches. There are options and I’m sure there are more I haven’t thought of. At least that’s how I see it.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
All great answers. I made this post more to see how you guys all think. I sure as hell am not spending thousands on these tools for them to not be used for their intended purpose , that seems silly to me. However that's now how my mind was working 18 months ago when I ventured into it. I wanted beauties, safe queens, and bench art.

I find it super interesting that I went from wanting just to shooting paper and put together "art" to pesting and understanding this stuff happens.