• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Review of .25 Cal Umarex Gauntlet

The .25 cal Umarex Gauntlet is finally shipping and HAM has the first test review published.

We saw 30 consistent shots per fill, over 45 Ft/Lbs with the heaviest pellets and nearly 1,000 FPS with alloys. Pretty good accuracy, too. Not bad for $300.

You can see the full review at:

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/umarex-gauntlet-25-caliber-pcp-air-rifle/

Stephen Archer

Hard Air Magazine

HAM,

Thanks for another great review and for what you contribute to the airgun community. Most of your shooting is accomplished at just 10 yds for your reviews, would it be possible to get more pellets evaluated at further distances? I know you occasionally post some 25 yd groups as you did with this article and occasionally even a 50 yarder as in the case of the Royale. These airguns are capable of such excellent accuracy it’s nice to see them stretched out a bit.

Thanks for the nice review, Stephen. Being kind of allergic to plastic stocks, I haven't paid much attention to the Gauntlets; but have to admit they seem to be an awful lot of PCP for the money.

I couldn't help but notice the Gauntlet's safety, trigger (block?), and bolt look identical to those of a Crosman 160 and QB. Makes me wonder if the Gauntlet is in fact based on that 160/QB platform; essentially a regulated-HPA-tank QB repeater?

As some airgun old-timers might recall, I've often wondered out loud (in print) why Crosman didn't SIMPLY use the 160 as ONE platform into PCPs; as opposed to developing the Discovery and Marauder platforms. Seems to me they could have saved a fortune in developing two new platforms, as opposed to resurrecting a PCP-modified 160 they had produced in Co2 form for 16 years and in the tens of thousands. Here are some examples of what could have been (and what Umarex could still do); all based on vintage Crosman platforms (like the Gauntlet?). The last photo I titled Endless Possibilities -

1544995390_1867519975c16c23ec5a5b4.69895640_Chinese FT Rifles.JPG

1544993970_21465102695c16bcb2cf0f39.73835813_T A QB RS.JPG

1544995797_20368211085c16c3d57e8fb1.25979725_Endless possibilities.JPG

Oh well. If my suspicions are correct, hopefully Umarex can capitalize on the 160 PCP concept. Looks like they have a very good start with the Gauntlet.

I received my .25 Gauntlet from Umerex direct- took 5 days from order-The .22 & .25 (I have both)both have 4 screws to attach block to tube plus 3 more back to breech plug-(valve ,breech, & end plug) so way more solid. And very accurate- Need to work(adjust, polish sear,Etc.) on trigger, but easy.. The reg is set @ 1900 Psi. on the .25 & 1100 on .22, but all adjustable, based on your ability with bellevilles or springs(Ninja Reg.) but easy enough