First Rat Shoot of 2024

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
Finally made it out to the farm to shoot some rats with all the snow and rain gone. Farmer had texted me and asked me to come by to take out some of the rats that are flooding the area. My last visit was two months ago, and they multiplied since.

I brought along my Daystate Regal XL because my HW100 designated rat gun has a slow leak in the cylinder. Good thing I did because my HW100 was struggling to keep up with lost of air/power causing me to miss low with some of my shots. Regal was paired with my Pard007S clip on scope and it was performing flawlessly hitting 7 of 7 rats. I had to guess the distances because the night vision unit does not have a laser range finder. Good thing I am familiar with some of the locations.

A total of 28 fat rats and 3 starlings were shot with both guns. It was a good night.

I have recently acquired a Snowpeak M60B which I am converting it to my rat gun. I have moved the Pard008 LRF scope onto this rifle and I had a chance to test and shoot this gun yesterday. Luckily out of the 4 types of pellets I tested, the Hades 16gr grouped the best. I was able to shoot a 5 shots group of 3/4" out to 50 yards in the wind. Video to follow.

Enjoy this one. Cheers.

@Max115 That's what I'm talking about!! Back to the rats!! I enjoyed this one. Especially the shot beneath the feeder in between concrete structures where you shot the rat in the group and it flipped over the others as the scattered. Some good shooting here.
Thank you for watching. Ya, I should make it out to this farm more often to shoot these rats. Weather was poor as of late. But I will be out there as soon as the rain stops.

Finally made it out to the farm to shoot some rats with all the snow and rain gone. Farmer had texted me and asked me to come by to take out some of the rats that are flooding the area. My last visit was two months ago, and they multiplied since.

I brought along my Daystate Regal XL because my HW100 designated rat gun has a slow leak in the cylinder. Good thing I did because my HW100 was struggling to keep up with lost of air/power causing me to miss low with some of my shots. Regal was paired with my Pard007S clip on scope and it was performing flawlessly hitting 7 of 7 rats. I had to guess the distances because the night vision unit does not have a laser range finder. Good thing I am familiar with some of the locations.

A total of 28 fat rats and 3 starlings were shot with both guns. It was a good night.

I have recently acquired a Snowpeak M60B which I am converting it to my rat gun. I have moved the Pard008 LRF scope onto this rifle and I had a chance to test and shoot this gun yesterday. Luckily out of the 4 types of pellets I tested, the Hades 16gr grouped the best. I was able to shoot a 5 shots group of 3/4" out to 50 yards in the wind. Video to follow.

Enjoy this one. Cheers.

Max , another great shoot ! I'm jealous , I've gone out several times at different times to my main barn , ZIP ,NADA , only a few mice , no rats. I'm told by my main source that they are back . They see them at feeding time . Oh well, one of these days . Rain here for a few days again ,so no outdoor shooting . I'm looking forward to your work w/ the M60B, that's a gun that caught my eye !

@Contndr35BB. Maybe you were doing too good of a job shooting them lol. I am sure they will recuperate and return soon. Are you shooting them at night? I have edited the M60B first shoot video and it will be posted next Saturday. I can't wait to use it for rat shoot as it shot the Hades 16gr well. I will release the Discovery ED4-20x52mm scope first look video Wednesday. Stay tuned and thanks for watching.

Max , I did most of my shooting at night, although when I first went to check out the barn, rats were out and about like farm cats ! I started popping them daily from daylight till nightfall , then I modified flashlights w/ red lens covering and bought a spotlight. According to my records I've taken over 300 in the main barn & 30+ at another . My shooting ranges were all under 20 yrds. I know I messed up some of my opportunity by cleaning up junk & vegetation around the areas .This did give me better target access for a bit . I now have two ATN day/night scopes & an NV100 clip on along w/ several IR & red/green lights. The farmer is happy ,so I guess I got the job done !

@Contndr35BB. Keep at them, one pellet at a time, but don't exterminate them all at once. You would have to look for another location to shoot lol. I used to have another locations to shoot rats but the farmer had told me the number has been under control and I haven't been back there for a while now. Luckily my current permission has plenty of rats. But if I shoot them too often and too many, I might not need to be back there as well. Tough call, lol. Nice to have a few NV setup and use what is best for the job at hand. Cheers.

Yes, that is correct. It is the laser range finder so I know what distance these rats were and I could do the proper holdover to ensure I got the best chance of knocking them down. Sometimes the range finder was not needed as I have already known the distances that I was shooting at. But having a LRF is very valuable, taking the guessing out of the question. Towards the end when I was shooting my Regal with the Pard007S clip on NV scope, I was guessing at those ranges. I do wish I have the built in range finder with this unit as well.

Reactions: Great_Days