First rat permission

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
Went to our first rat permission last night at 6pm and boy, were there a lot of rats, big and small. We have been wishing for this type of permission for a few years now and we finally got the connection. A farmer told another and another, so here we are.

This is a pheasants farm and the owner told us that he think he could easily shoot 10 rats with his shotgun, but obviously that would not go well with the birds and equipment around. He was very intrigued with our air guns and the night vision setup. When he first took us thru the first door to one of the barns, he warned us to prepare to see lots of rats. He wasn't lying. When he turned on the lights, our jaws almost dropped to the ground. There were some chunky grandpa rats among other sizes of rats just scrammed and dove into the holes and out the openings while the pheasants just stood there watching us. Needless to say my hunting partner looked at me and we both had the grind on our face. Farmer showed us where we should and shouldn't shoot in terms of where the other animals are staying and of course farm equipment. He said "have fun" and left us alone. 

Now, I don't have a night vision scope unfortunately but my friend has the ATN. So he was just blasting them rats around after he got the short range POI sorted out. The rats just kept on peeking out of the holes in the ground and running around the area. As they peeked out the holes, they were greeted with a 177 pellet in their heads.

I was shooting my S510 .177 with a green light on top. This didn't work too well as the rats would run away as soon as I shone the light on them. But I managed to tag a couple. Although it was raining hard but we had a great time and super excited with this permission.

We quit by 9pm and collected 19 rats with the biggest two measuring head to tail at 17". I got lucky and got a 17" rat as well. Farmer was very pleased and said the ever pleasing words "come back anytime and get them b@st#ards."

I think it is time for me to finally get a night vision scope set up... Any suggestions?

Here are a couple of pictures.

IMG_0850.1606000910.jpg
IMG_0856.1606000928.jpg

@Leon. ya I am beginning to feel that way. Just need to get myself a night vision setup.

@harry/papy. I am more leaning towards the Pard as I read a few complaints about the ATN, but personally, I don't like the weight and look of it. I am sure it is a great scope, but I never shot any night vision gear before, so I am still searching for what I think I need.

Have you shot with your partners setup? If you can handle the weight or do not mind a tripod setup it should work just fine. I think most of the issues are user error or lack of knowledge on how they system works. Then there is the duds out of the box. Otherwise the pard007 maybe a little lighter. At least from what I read.

I have a atn and I cannot see me walking around with that setup.

Have you shot with your partners setup? If you can handle the weight or do not mind a tripod setup it should work just fine. I think most of the issues are user error or lack of knowledge on how they system works. Then there is the duds out of the box. Otherwise the pard007 maybe a little lighter. At least from what I read.

I have a atn and I cannot see me walking around with that setup.

I agree with @healthservices, I haven't had any issues with mine. The newer firmware fixed what users were complaining about and I would have disliked too. It has been good to me at least

@healthservices. I have tried once but not liking it too much as it was heavy and maybe because the eye relief wasn't correctly set for my eyes, I couldn't see clearly. To be honest, I never bother with night vision before as I don't shoot at night. But now with this fantastic permission and after seeing all them rats running around in the area, I got interested.

@papy. I think the majority of shooting that we would be doing at this rat permission would be bench or tripod type setup. And in short distances less than 5 yards to 15 yards. My friend has the firmware updated and he is very happy with his set up.

For me, I prefer my shooting thru my own scopes and I probably use my S510 .177 for the farm. Unless I try to shoot longer ranges then I might use my Crown, Regal or Impact.

@Glem. Thanks for the offer, but with this Covid restriction it will be tough to meet up. But in your opinion, what do you like and dislike with your Pard 008? Thanks. 

your in a new world now Max your gunna love it !!

i have the 4k pro and really like it, also have the now discontinued sightmark photon nv

that is very simple to operate and has a small IR built in and works very well for rats

for about a 3rd of the price of the 4K, ebay and amazon sometimes have them (NOS) for around 

$225-$250 shipped.

i have had the 4k for about 3 years and the photon for 5 or so.

and never had any problems with either.

good luck with what ever you choose 👍

thanks gender. yes definitely a different world from my normal daytime long distance starlings shoot that I am accustom to. Before that night of actually seeing all the rats in person, I never thought I would get excited with the possibility of actually shooting them myself. I have watched a lot of rats shooting videos but never gave it a second thought. Now I am intrigued and looking forward to tag a few. Hopefully I will make up my mind and get a set up soon. Thanks for the info guys. 

@Glem. Thanks for the offer, but with this Covid restriction it will be tough to meet up. But in your opinion, what do you like and dislike with your Pard 008? Thanks

Yeah forsure, 

I can't really think of anything I don't like or that bugs me. Great features, range finder, good recording, great battery life, uses am 18650, has a red dot laser if you're into that. 

Maybe an adjustable mount so you can keep the reticle centered without shimming is all I can think of which could be implemented. I just drilled and tapped a spot in the back of the mount I can "dial" elevation if I want to get it close to centered in combination with the included shims for windage. Got an adjustable rail on the way which should be wicked.

Once this c19 is over I'll come for one of your fun shoots at Mission. 👍

They would be in trouble once I get my night vision set up, lol.

We went back again Monday night as there were no rain. Started from 5pm to 10pm. This was our second time at this farm. I borrowed a couple of red lights from the owner and used them to shine down the laneway where some of these rats crosses. It worked! A lot better than my previous outing with the green light. I lost count on how many I shot with my S510 .177. But definitely more productive than my first night. We collected 35. Just a small fraction of what are living there on this farm. We will need to go there during the day and do some video recording to show how badly infested this chicken/duck farm is.

Here are some pictures with the setup and collection.

red lights set up.1606202812.jpeg
almost bucket full.1606202867.jpeg
35 rats.1606202876.jpeg