First post: 50 years with my Crosman 1400

Hey all — first post here on this forum; this year marks 50 years since my dad bought me my Crosman 1400 .22 pellet gun. So many great memories with it — still have it of course and have only put 30-40 shots through it in the last year or two after “rediscovering” it. I’ve sure enjoyed it over the years. It’s always been a very accurate gun and the envy of more than a few friends, way back in the day. It seems to still have plenty of power even though I’ve neglected oiling it and keeping any pressure in it for decades. Just oiled it up with some Pellgunoil and will be shooting it again. Any experts out there want to offer insights into how my compression/power and seals may or may not be compromised after all these years? And any other suggestions for me to keep it in top shape? I should be shooting it with more frequency now, mostly just target stuff….. And any other 1400 owners out there?

728959DB-F574-44F5-8355-3994C43E4BAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Big congrats on not only still owning that fantastic childhood heirloom, but apparently keeping it in like new condition for a HALF-CENTURY! I've owned several 1400 variants in adulthood, and consider your's the best.

Surprised it still holds pressure, but you shouldn't be surprised when/if it doesn't. Regular Pellgunoil attention is good, as is keeping a couple pumps in it at ALL times. Oh, and don't loan it to anyone, ever!

Nice gun and congrats on keeping it in such great shape. Ive got a 1400 and the Sears version and a few Sheridan Cs, but if I had to grab a MSP to hunt, I grab the 1400. Usually the quad seal on the valve is the first thing to go on them. Triggers are also nice on them but get harder with more pumps. A few ppl seal kits on ebay. Mike Baker and Rick at Precision Pellet have helped me in the past with a few 140 and 1400s I've come across. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ingwe and SeanEll
Hey all — first post here on this forum; this year marks 50 years since my dad bought me my Crosman 1400 .22 pellet gun. So many great memories with it — still have it of course and have only put 30-40 shots through it in the last year or two after “rediscovering” it. I’ve sure enjoyed it over the years. It’s always been a very accurate gun and the envy of more than a few friends, way back in the day. It seems to still have plenty of power even though I’ve neglected oiling it and keeping any pressure in it for decades. Just oiled it up with some Pellgunoil and will be shooting it again. Any experts out there want to offer insights into how my compression/power and seals may or may not be compromised after all these years? And any other suggestions for me to keep it in top shape? I should be shooting it with more frequency now, mostly just target stuff….. And any other 1400 owners out there?

View attachment 342710
I walked into World of Sports in 1972 to buy one of those, but there were none. I spotted a gun I had never heard of, a Sheridan Bluestreak. I bought it and still own and shoot it today. That Sheridan has been every where with me, hunting fishing, camping, plinking, and quite a few family, and neighborly get togethers. That Sheridan is why I'm an airgunner. I was shopping for a Sheridan pistol when I first ran into a Beeman airgun shop. These days The old Sheridan is sporting a Tim McMurray Steriod upgrade.
Enjoy that 1400 thats a nice air rifle.
👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Ingwe and SeanEll
Very nice gun. They sure have their own, unique sound. I have a couple and sure enjoy them. This forum is full of many fantastic and knowledgeable folks! Welcome!

View attachment 342793
Hey if you could let me know what scope mount you have there, I’d appreciate it — and what scope that is too, as long as you’re at it, although it looks like it might be the Cadillac of scopes!

Reactions: Ingwe
The rings on the first rifle a few posts above are the obsolete Beeman double adjustable available in the 1980's and 90's. Most have all been ruined by ham fisted owners that over tightened them. I have made replacement steel clasps for them but it takes several lathe and milling operations including a jig to hold them for some of the operations. I like them because they can be adjusted to fit squarely on any size dovetail. And they don't have the typical big blocky square airgun rings look.
Home made steel clasps below on a BSA Mk2 plinker I used to enjoy. This is a 15.5 mm dovetail.
IMG_2844.JPGIMG_2847.jpg

View attachment 342710
Welcome to the best AGN . Nice old gun and very repairable if you need to .

oops didn't look to see the op date

Last edited:
Reactions: Ingwe
Nice one, my dad had a 140 in the 60s he gave to my older brother. I remember paying him $5 back then to shoot 3 pellets. Finally bought it from him. It started leaking. Got another one a few years later from my uncle. Sadly that one started leaking and like a idiot, I tossed them in the trash. Finally bought a 140 just like the one my Dad had and it is one of my favorite guns 6 pumps or lower. They are so light and compact to shoot/hunt in the woods.

Reactions: .20calguy