• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
I am new to all this, so please excuse my ignorance. I am in the market for a new air rifle to do some back yard plinking while my normal reloading supplies are in high demand. I stumbled on the Gamo Urban. That seems to get good reviews and covers my needs fairly well. Do you guys have any other suggestions for a “beginner” rifle that would give decent accuracy out to about 40 yards, be of reasonable weight and cost $400 or so without optics? Thanks in advance. 

I have an Urban and it is a good choice at 800 fps for backyard shooting; I'm thinking about 25-30 yards maximum - extra magazines are expensive if that's a concern. Mine does shoot the Crosman hollow points well which I attribute to the velocity and they are about 1500 - 500 in cost for premium pellets if that matters; I've shot a lot of expensive pellets. 

I got too anxious with everything being out of stock and ordered a beeman chief 2 synthetic. Probably a huge mistake with everything I have read but it will get me started. Keeping my fingers crossed that any problems will only be orings that require replacement. I now want an urban as I agree it looks like a great little rifle and gets great reviews. 

@micro, thirty yards max? The Urban is a very capable field PCP. Mine took a few chucks out to 70 yards. Many chipmunks at 40 and 50 yards. Furthest kill on a chipmunk 80 yards. Many pigeons 45 to 60 yards. All range finder measured and from a solid shooting position. Sending JSB Exact Jumbo 18s.

I have no doubt about the capabilities of the gun so I quoted; I was just commenting on the OP's requirement of backyard shooting which I assume is typically 25-30 yards - suburban plinking or "micro hunting" - sorry I wasn't clear about that. I have a 4x scope on mine which works; but if I mounted something with more magnification and a sophisticated reticle, I could definitely take better advantage of the gun's inherent accuracy. Thanks for letting me clarify my comments 😀...