• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First PCP

Hey folks! I'm brand new to the world of pcp guns. Actually, I haven't purchased an airgun since late summer/early fall 2002. To say a lot has changed would be an understatement. I'm looking to upgrade from my 15+ year old Gamo Shadow 1000. I've been checking out the FX Wildcat, Daystate Regal XL, and Ataman M2R carbine ultra compact. I'd really like something compact and accurate to help keep the squirrels at bay, as well as just enjoy shooting for fun.

Is there any reason in particular to avoid any of the guns I've mentioned? I'm open to suggestions or comments from any users here. Thanks!

"hawkeye69"If you want a bullpup, I don't think you can go wrong with a Wildcat. I have one in .22, it's accurate, a good shot count and handles well. I'm certain that many others will agree with me.
I have one in .25, just love it, if you want simple, accurate, ease of loading, shot count, great cocking lever placement and trigger.......oh and nice and quiet stock.

Quagmire,

I have a Daystate Huntsman Classic and an FX Wildcat, both of which are .22 cal. Wouldn't willingly part with either of them. The Wildcat is my first bullpup and I LOVE it. The Daystate Huntsman is a traditional style rifle and I LOVE it. The Wildcat is easier to cock with it's side lever, while the Daystate is traditional bolt cocking (still very easy to cock). The Daystate Regal XL is an upgrade to my Classic and has a higher shot count with the longer air tube, but essentially the same rifle. You can't go wrong with any of them! I have to give the nod to the Wildcat because it's regulated, resulting in dime size groups at 50 yrds compared to the unregulated Daystate Huntsman Classic that gives me nickel sized groups at 50 yrds.

If you've never owned a bullpup, they're a bit more "top heavy" compared to a traditional style rifle. But it's easy to get used to. If you're old and tired and have a bad lumbar spine, like me, then you'll love a bullpup. The weight of a bullpup is closer to the body than a traditional style rifle and easier on the lumbar. Both guns (Wildcat and Regal/Huntsman) have adjustable match grade triggers to die for. Both guns are a dream to shoot. How fortunate you are to have returned to airgunning just now!

Don't know about the Ataman M2R.

The Wildcat Compact is .25 cal (about 46 FPE). It compromises shot count for the sake of it's shorter, more hunter-friendly length (about the same as the original Wildcat .22. (32 FPE). My back would love the Wildcat Compact if I were willing to sacrifice about 30 shots per fill. Strictly for hunting, 30 spf is plenty. That's why the shorter Compact is going to be so popular. But if you like to shoot paper too, I'd go for the standard length.

I have owned all three of the guns you mentioned in you original post. All three have a lot of good things going for them. They were all in .22 and I have discovered that I prefer my .22 and .177 to have easy, repeatable power adjustments. I shoot a lot of starlings and doves in the dairy barns and need the lower settings for that work. Then I go outside and need the higher power for the ground squirrels that inhabit the hay fields. 
I got the Ataman first, awesome little gun. I didn’t like the fill pressure to shot count. At the time I had to travel 50 miles to fill my tank and the 250 bar fill was killing me. I have since got a 6000 psi nitrogen tank. I also didn’t like the magazine design but it was amazingly smooth and light on the cocking stroke. 
The Huntsman Regal came next. I was in love with the looks and feel of the gun. I kept wishing it had a regulator so I could get more shots out of a fill. It was very accurate, earning my 150 yrd patch from Airgun Depot’s long ranger challenge. I had a few hangups with the magazine as it wouldn’t advance to the next pellet but I attribute that to the dusty environment I was in. I sold it when they announced the new regulated version coming out some day. 
The Wildcat was probably my favorite one but it wasn’t as versatile as I needed it to be. It seems to me that the smooth twist barrels don’t like to go slow. Also it was difficult to adjust speeds very consistently. 
I also tried the Taipan veteran, Zbroia Kozak and a few others. The ones I still have and LOVE to shoot daily are a .177 Brocock compatto and a .22 Fx streamline. The Brocock has never given any trouble and is accurate as they come. I installed a Huma regulator in it before they came out with the “target” version. That was a chore! but I get around 50 shots on the reg and another 20 usable shots from the slingshot system. The magazine system is the best out there in my humble opinion. It is very simple to work on (minus the tube removal from the block) as well, very few o rings. The Streamline has an awesome power adjuster that increases the shot count as you turn it down, is light and pointable.
I am really anticipating the release of the Bantam Sniper HM. I think that it will be my next purchase and might even unseat the Streamline as my .22 in the stable. 
Good luck in your (re)search, I find it to be half the fun. I have had lots of the buy before you try guns and wish there were more stores to be able to handle them first. The more this sport expands the more opportunities that will come along to do just that. Let us know what you settle on!

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. I still have about a month until I'll be ordering anything. I've been trying to make up my mind for several weeks and haven't gotten any closer. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to order I'll have found a great PCP to enter the hobby with. Like I said previously, I very well may end up purchasing a few. Doesn't hurt to have options right? They have just legalized hunting with air guns in my area so that's a huge consideration for me. I'm an avid hunter, and having another option for taking game sounds very appealing indeed.