• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First pcp under $350 suggestions

I’ve got both the Origin & Sentry 705, great guns for the money. I have absolutely no complaints from either one of mine. If you have no way to fill them the Origin is perfect. I think any other choice would put you over the $350, by the time you get a hand pump. As for accuracy both of mine shoot just about anything I put through them pellet wise, not so for slugs. Currently I’m shooting Crosman Domes & Gamo Red Fires. Just the other day I shot a sparrow with the Sentry at 73yrds with the Red Fires & a sparrow with the Origin at 107yds with the Crosman Domes. Tuned right both get plenty of shots per fill. My Sentry shooting 14.3gr, 3k fill starts at 1006 claims to 1051 back down to 1000 for 2 magazines. The Origin is get around 55 shots from 3400 down to 1500, starting at 930-1000-920(I believe. I’d have to get my log book out to make sure). 

Good luck!!

1st pcp. Have other airguns and or are you a DIY repair person in general and even enjoy doing sol?

A Crosman offering having reliability , 5 year warranty and best in industry parts availability/price/shipping can make for a more pleasurable !st exp. than some other rigs.

The Gauntlet is a good solid vale also but heavy and large. 

Dont be fearful of used (VALUES to be had) just use common since caution. Plenty of old time airgunners out there who've had the same handle/email for decades, or maybe are a know National champion shooter (the last 2 airguns I purchased here- a condor and the above cited Maximus) came from well know Club shooters with years of experience. .

Have nor personally handled the Fortitude but it would seem a naturally with coupons used & such. .

Keep us posted.

John

I'm in my 30s, I haven't owned an air rifle in probably 15 years, a break action spring 177 no idea who made it was the last I remember, once I started shooting real rifles I didn't have much use for airguns. 

I'm very diy and don't mind tinkering, replacing seals and such, I understand it comes with the territory. 

I'm planning to hand pump now as the budget doesn't allow for a compressor, if I get really into the hobby ill pick one up. 

I'm thinking I want to get something with an adj reg incase I want to turn it down for plinking, if not the DAR is at the top of my list currently.

Gamo Urban and a hand pump. That was my first PCP, and I am still in love with it. It's light, it's quiet right out of the box, and that BSA barrel is very accurate. I have taken squirrels up to 60 yards with it using the H&N hornets, and even a small, 27 lb wild pig that made the mistake of getting within 15 yards of me and presenting a shot to his forehead. That is out of the box as well; I have not adjusted this gun at all. But the best thing I like is the stock. Yes it is plastic (light) but the ergonomics are just perfect for me. It's probably the best feeling and shouldering gun I have - and that includes all of them, not just the air guns. I get about three full mags of consistent shots before the aim point starts to drop. Yes a regulated gun may extend that, but not at this price point. I truly think the urban is the best bang for buck out there.

Try the Gamo Urban or the Hatsan Flash pup in wood, or also the Hatsan Flash.

All very accurate, light to carry, and easy to hand pump (get a Chinese number for 30-40 bucks). 

The Urban has the better quality build + a very well designed thumbhole stock. The two-stage trigger becomes best in class sweet by swapping out the short 2nd stage m2.5 adjustment screw for a longer one.

🐦

I bought the flash refub.It comes with spare o rings and valve seat.Mike at flying dragon can get parts for the sentry.That is the two I would consider.

I bought a Fortitude .177 just after Covid started. I've done all of my shooting in my backyard at 20 yards - pellet on pellet...seriously. I bought it for its high shot count and that it is hand pump friendly. I'm 77 and weigh 154. I usually pump it from 1,500 psi to 2,500 psi and take a minute break. The last 500 psi is when the real work begins. Sometimes I forget the last 500 psi because the shot count is so hight. If I can pump it up anyone can. If I had a rifle with a larger tank I'm sure I would be looking into an electric pump or SCBA tank.

If you get a Fortitude remove the heavy spring that the trigger pushes against. Take the light spring out of a ballpoint pen. Cut the spring to the same length as the original spring and WoW! the trigger is much lighter and usable. Your accuracy will greatly improve.

I ended up getting an umarex origin for $300 @ an academy 2 hours away , the price point and with all that's included i decided it would be a good one to get started with, and once I'm familiar with pcp ill upgrade and give this to my brother.

Now if I can just find some 22 pellets, Ive called or checked everywhere within 100 miles and noone has any, I can't even find any to order that would be here this week without expensive shipping. 

I just got an Origin as well for $300. I am also new to the PCP world. So far I am very pleased with the gun. Shot a 10 shot group that was slightly over 1 inch at 50 yards using the JSB Match Diabolo Jumbo Heavy 18.13 grain. I really think I can do better. I am finding that I really need a chronograph to tune it. I would suggest doing some reading on how to clean the gun. Not much is really required but I do think you should clean the barrel before the first shooting. Mine had a lot of the factory gunk in the barrel. I had to order my pellets online. I found that it is hard to pump past the 3000 psi mark.

"DAR!" This was my 1st PCP. Sometimes, I'm disappointed because I am in the market for another PCP. I got the DAR as my 1st because of its bargain price ($299). I thought, after that, I'd buy a more upscale $500+ air rifle ... a really nice one! After receiving my DAR, I now realize that its most likely better than any of the $500-$800 gun. That already leaves me in "Daystate" territory. --- I shoulda started-out with a Chief or a Stormrider, but no I had to be a big shot!

The only fault I have with my DAR 25 isn't even the gun's fault. I live in OC, CA and I can't get out enough to use it. I do wish it were less bulky & lighter. At a reasonable 6.8 lbs, after it is scoped w/a loaded mag and she's at 8 lbs.+. That's a little much for me at my size & wgt ... along with arthritic fingers and neck. I will soon be adding a sling since most of my hunting is walking rugged & rocky desert terrain.