• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX First PCP Rifle

Hello everyone and thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I’m pretty excited to get going with my first real air rifle. My last one was a pump daisy about 30 years ago 😂. It’s an Impact in .22 (600mm). I am told I will most likely need a heavy slug liner to shoot slugs well, but I want to give the stock rifle a shot with slugs first. Nick at Nielson Specialty Ammo gave me a handful of lighter weight slugs to try (his shop is about 15 mins down the road, so super convenient… plus he and his family are super helpful and all around great people). He gave me some 20.2 grainers in .217 and some 23.0 grainers in .216 and .217. I can’t wait to get a full understanding of tuning this rifle. It seems like it’s very user friendly and versatile. I will gladly accept any tips or tricks you may have for me, or pitfalls to avoid. Thanks again!!

IMG_1086.jpeg

Yes the air fills are somewhat of a concern for me. For now I plan on using a cheap(er) Vevor to fill the gun directly as needed. I can see a small fill tank in the near future…something that I can top off with this compressor and not worry about killing it. I understand I am very limited with the “duty cycle” on this compressor. I have read horror stories about moisture in guns so I added the blue filter. I eventually plan on taking the inner filter out and replacing all the charcoal in there with the moisture absorbing beads. They are only about 1/2 full of the moisture beads from the factory. I plan on Monitoring these filters regularly, along with the little junk filter on the whip.

IMG_1092.jpeg

Reactions: beerthief
@Kage1339 Welcome to the forums. While I know nothing of your rifle, I have encountered many threads and YouTube videos on the Impact platform. Plenty of info out there to help you better learn your rifle. How did you decide upon an Impact as your first PCP?
That’s a good question. Upon researching I thought that the craftsmanship, accuracy, availability of aftermarket accessories, versatility, and resale value were all excellent. The price was bad 😂 but you get what you pay for I guess. As a machinist I was blown away at the build quality of these rifles.

Another reason I went with the impact was because I wanted to take the PCP rifle plunge and didn’t want to be turned off right away with a mediocre rifle. I’ve built several long range powder burners and accuracy expectations are high. I feel there are other rifles out there that can hang with the Impact as far as accuracy, but I just really liked the way the impact is built.

Nice that Nick is so close to you! I had a chance to visit his place out in California a few years back but things didn't work out.
I only shoot his .30 slugs in my Dreamline Lite and they are LASER like out to 100+ yards!
Yeah his shop here in MO is awesome. His high speed slug machines are a work of art.

Reactions: Scotay42
I'd love it if he made a slighter shorter .50 Slug!
They are just a tad to long for my Evanix Sniper magazines. I single load them for now but still love them.
If you check his web site? You'll see this about the .50's
We are told too long for the Evanix Sniper

That was me. LOL!

Last edited:
They are just a tad to long for my Evanix Snipe magazines. I single load them for now but still love them.
Have you talked to him about a custom order? He may do it if you order enough. They swage all their larger slugs on Corbin Hydro Presses and making it a touch shorter (and lighter, of course) shouldn’t be a big deal. Not sure how it would effect the flight of the slug, but it may be worth inquiring about.

They are just a tad to long for my Evanix Sniper magazines. I single load them for now but still love them.
If you check his web site? You'll see this about the .50's
We are told too long for the Evanix Sniper

That was me. LOL!
absolutely a good reason to buy another rifle , the ammo will not fit HAHAHAHA

• Haha
Reactions: Kage1339
You don’t need a heavy slug liner to shoot slugs well. You need a heavy slug liner to shoot heavy slugs well, 26 grains and up. Anything 25 and below is good with the standard slug liner.
Yeah I should have been more specific and said heavier slugs. Ultimately my goal is 100-200 yd shooting with heavier slugs so I will need that heavy liner to stabilize those heavier slugs. Are you shooting the lighter .22 slugs in the impact?

Kage,
Welcome, nice first gun, for sure! I've got the M50 compressor filter (except in gold) on my HPA system. If you notice moisture in the system, search "water coalescing filter" on eBay, paired with the M50, this copper-colored "filter" was a game changer. A search in the AGN archives, under same, might also prove helpful. Best of Luck, WM

Kage,
Welcome, nice first gun, for sure! I've got the M50 compressor filter (except in gold) on my HPA system. If you notice moisture in the system, search "water coalescing filter" on eBay, paired with the M50, this copper-colored "filter" was a game changer. A search in the AGN archives, under same, might also prove helpful. Best of Luck, WM
That’s great info. I appreciate it. I saw a few setups with both the gold and copper colored filters. I think my blue one is same as your gold one. Are you using that as is or did you add more silica gel beads instead of the charcoal? Thank you!!

That’s great info. I appreciate it. I saw a few setups with both the gold and copper colored filters. I think my blue one is same as your gold one. Are you using that as is or did you add more silica gel beads instead of the charcoal? Thank you!!
Using media insert as purchased, all beads over partial activated charcoal, would be best but decided to add the water coalescing filter when discovered water-soaked cotton-filled smaller filter. Copper-colored filter removes oil/water so efficiently, gold filter just adds a finishing touch. Depends on conditions, my Florida garage is more humid than one in Alaska or even in an air-conditioned house. Recommend, if moisture problem serious, consider water-coalescing filter before more beads. WM

That’s a good question. Upon researching I thought that the craftsmanship, accuracy, availability of aftermarket accessories, versatility, and resale value were all excellent. The price was bad 😂 but you get what you pay for I guess. As a machinist I was blown away at the build quality of these rifles.

Another reason I went with the impact was because I wanted to take the PCP rifle plunge and didn’t want to be turned off right away with a mediocre rifle. I’ve built several long range powder burners and accuracy expectations are high. I feel there are other rifles out there that can hang with the Impact as far as accuracy, but I just really liked the way the impact is built.
Hope you enjoy it and welcome to the madness. Its a deep crazy rabbit hole but so much fun.

I was contemplating an M3 but went with the BRK ghost especially when I saw it had 14 orings vs the 68 of the M3. You have a solid rifle though.