First PCP... nova freedom and some pellet experiments

My best groups at 32 yards in wind . 
download.png
1525178884_16267534955ae86204c68b68.10771732_IMG_20180501_073750973.jpg
download.png
1525178902_8427103075ae86216433b28.41122409_IMG_20180501_073827399.jpg

I've tried many, many different pellets in 8 different PCP rifles over a period of 9 years. The most consistently accurate pellets I found to be made by JSB, either 16 or 18 grain, 5.52 mm head diameter. The PCPs have been Discovery, Marauder, Rainstorm, AA 200, AA 510, FX Royale, FX Streamline, and currently the FX Wildcat. They start at the introductory level and also get into some of the pricey stuff, all in .22 cal except the AA 200. It was a .177. I've gone through an assortment of pellets in that time, and if memory serves me, they range from Crosman, Gamo, AA, JSB, H&N, plus others that I dont recall offhand. The answer usually boils down to .22 cal JSB 16 or 18 gr .552 head size. Try them, they may be the answer to your search. 
No, I dont own any JSB stock and am not associated in any way with that company. But, I have added to their profit in these last 9 years. :))

Joe in Tucson

"Butch"Not to change the subject. But have any of you experienced difficulties pumping your rifle. To be specific on the up stroke. It’s like the pump arm stops half way up and will not extend all the way for a full stroke. Looks like mine is going back.
Butch, this just happened to mine now too. It's stuck at about 50% of the stroke. It feels like there is pressurized air in either direction, stopping the arm from moving. 

"E30_S50"Tkerrigan, referring to the swaged bullets, when you say the "lead isn't long enough for them", what do you mean by the "lead"? Sorry for my ignorance!
The lead in that is cut in the barrel to make room to insert the pellet or bullet. If it's only long enough for pellets you need to make it longer or your bullet will only go in about halfway. Regards, Tom

I messaged Butch about the problem...I sort of solved the issue (until it happens again)

So the issue appeared last night and I couldn’t move the pumping lever at all….i forced it so much it actually started to bend the lever. It definitely seemed like there was pressurized air keeping it stationary.I set it down and left it….then this morning it was bit more loose. I managed, with lots of force, to close the lever. Then opened it all the way, also with much resistance. Then after a few more pumps it loosened back up like normal. Weird. I hope I don’t have to send it back. 

So yesterday, by dry firing all of the air out, I did get the pump working enough to do some chrony tests of my resized rabbit magnum II pellets...but the readings were very strange. As I had expected, the smaller resized rabbit magnum pellets did fly a bit faster...the best results were actually pellets that I had resized to .213 by shooting them at low psi and recapturing them with fabric and water. The smallest resizing die I have is .215.

Here is the confusing part, which I think points to the gun not working right or being way out of tune. When the reservoir had lots of pressure 2500-3500 psi, the gun shot very weak/slow...4-500fps. But then when the pressure fell BELOW 2000psi the power/speed jumped up to 650-700fps. I'd get a few good shots below 2000psi then no air left. What the heck!? 

I think the gun is just out of whack or something. 

Ok so I just got antsy and adjusted it haha. Unfortunately, I pumped up to 3000psi and the pump made a strange noise...now no longer compresses any air at all....so that's all she wrote. I wish I had another external pump! 

I turned the hammer screw all the way in (3 full turns) then backed it out 1 full turn. It definitely did fix the issue. At 3000psi I got 749fps with a jsb monster 25gr pellet (resized to .215). Then I got 936 fps with a crosman 14.3gr hollow point pellet.