First PCP... nova freedom and some pellet experiments

Hi all. A little intro...just bought my first PCP air rifle. I have been reading and researching for the past couple years and finally decided to get into the hobby. From reading on forums like this one I have learned a lot. In the past, I have always been into building project cars,but I am sick of the cost and constant headaches. Time for a new expensive hobby!

I bought a nova freedom 22 caliber mainly because of the onboard pump. I am already hooked on this airgun and stoked to buy more PCPs, get rigged up with an electric pump set-up, and get some bullet casting dies. As other reviews have mentioned, my main gripe with this item is the big white lettering on the side. I definitely plan to remove it!

I have been testing out various pellets and would like to use heavier ones for more power and long-range accuracy. I tested some of the rabbit magnum II and, like other reviewers, found that they do not shoot very well. As others have stated, I found the fit too snuggly in the barrel of my gun...lots of resistance. So, I decided to try and experiment...with interesting results.

I took a few of the pellets and lightly mounted them like in the chuck of my screw gun. I used some very fine sandpaper to mildly mill down the front and back of the pellet and then polish them smooth with paper. Since I do not have a chrony yet, I am shooting them into a plywood board in order to compare penetration to the factory diameter bullets. I figure since they are basically the same bullet the penetration should imply speed.

when I took the slightly milled bullets and loaded them I could feel they were a little bit less snug in the barrel. When shot at the plywood, the factory bullets would actually bounce right off! Very little penetration...and I assume low fps. The bullets that I had milled manage to penetrate into the plywood and a couple actually passed right through. I will be interested to measure the actual FPS difference when I get a chrony.

Long story short, this proves that these bullet type pellets could probably perform much better for various airguns if they were resized down a little bit. My next plan is to get a Lee press and resizing die...this way I can quickly process many of them and to a consistent diameter...I'm just not sure which size. I will probably try the .224 which is the smallest one they offer, but I honestly do not even know the true diameter of the factory rabbit mag pellets. 

Any thoughts on which size I should try to resize them to?

I tried the crosman premier 14.3 grain hollow points and the 14.3 pointed pellets. Both of these worked very well and are very cost effective at the local Gander Outdoors. Good and accurate. 500 ct tin for 8 bucks. 

then I tried the JSB monster 25 grain cylindrical "bullet" type pellets. They fit the barrel nice and shoot fast but didn't seem accurate. Could be due to twist rate. I need to test these a bit more to be sure. 

Then an I tried the rabbit magnum II 25 grain bullet type pellets. NOT good... but could be good with some resizing which I'm working on. Too tight in the barrel.

I just got the H&N sampler pack so I hope to tinker with those this weekend... I suspect the barracuda power 21grains will be the sweet spot. 

1524828577_3518554105ae309a10e9315.25563668_1019AD11-04D8-4F97-96CB-7F224DA3BF96.png

The pic above should help you with the die size you need. Looking at the pic above you can see the .224 die will be a tad to big. I also have a freedom in .22 and love the rifle. Still in the testing stage but it is very accurate with JSB 18gr. My hammer spring is set 2.5 turns cww from bottomed out and I get 4 high powered shots at 60 yards that group under an 1”. That is pumping to 3200psi. After the 4 shots it takes 19 pumps to be back at 3200psi. I have put around 600 - 700 pellets through this gun of different types pellets and have found the JSB 18s to be the most accurate. Hope this helps you, Butch. 

I'll post my results this weekend, so far these are the pellets I received , the crosman premier 14.3 gr. Hp. , Crossman premier 14.3 gr. Domed , jsb exact jumbo monster 25.39 gr. , Benjamin pcp discovery 14.3 gr. , crossman PowerShot 16.7 gr. , Rws super point extra 14.5 gr. With more hopefully arriving today. I also watch to play with increasing the hammer spring tension if I get time.

Mine was 6.25 turns clockwise to bottom out from factory setting. Others have been less to bottom out. After bottoming out mine I tested many settings going counter clockwise and found 2.5 ccw to work good for me. Best I can tell you is to test your. The closer you are to bottoming out your hammer spring the more air you use but it also shoots with more FPS. Keep in mind always test with a full 3600psi fill because with adjusting the hammer spring it may produce better numbers with more PSI if you are only testing with less PSI. Mine give 4 great shots at 3200psi. 

Ok so a little update....
i measured a series of the factory rabbit mag II pellets and got 5.64mm in back (widest part) and 5.5 in front
then i shot 5 pellets on very low psi and caught them with fabric and water...those all measured right about 5.44
then I shot one through the barrel 4 times and measured it...5.40

the crosman 14.3 pointed pellets measured 5.50...these fit into the barrel easlily and shoot well. 

One thing I noticed, after shooting through the barrel once, on the second shooting the rabbit mag pellets came out with much more force after being "resized". Even on just a few hundred psi, they would come out fast enough to damage/dent them...so I had to use fabric to help capture them. Also, after the first run through the barrel, they would feed in much easier without resistance. 

So, if they start at 5.65 before shooting, and end up at about 5.44 after shooting, what size should they be resized to? Maybe slightly wider than 5.44? 5.46ish?