• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First PcP/New Member

I went full ham. Bought A Fx M3 compact in 22 for my first airgun.

I have followed the industry on you tube and in forums for years, and down right studied before i pulled the trigger.

I have already got a full tin of pellets emptied in 2 days of shooting after work. More rounds fired than firearms I've owned for years, thanks to the silence of my chosen platform and the 18.2 grain jsbs lower fpe. Lower fpe? I bought one of those resetable squirrel targets from walmart. didn't last half dozen rnds before the 18s blew the top target past its stop and is now broke...lol

After all my research and my hands on exp i still have a few newb questions i would like this fine community to help me with.

1. Should I have cleaned the barrel?

I had utah airguns mount and sight in the scope so i could shoot upon receiving. after putting on my moderator and tightening the shroud, point of impact shifted. It didn't really group to well until i re zeroed at 45. Part of the poor groups were high winds and part were the shroud being loose i think. After the rezero tho. even in 5 to 10 mph winds i had nickle size groups at 50 yards. Not sure if i need to clean the barrel or not. there's conflicting info on the net it seems?

2. Is it ok to shoot the main tank past the first regulator?

I get about 2 mags plus 8 shots down to 150bar (from a 250bar fill). My 2nd reg is at 100bar. My first reg is at 150bar. If it was ok to go past the 1st reg i could get to 3 mags.

3. Whats is a good compact tune?

Having the smaller 300cc bottle and want to keep at least a 2 mag shot capacity. I have some hybrids that i want to tune for and would like to adjust back easily to the 18s.

Thanks in advance. Any and all newbie advice will be welcome.

Anytime you touch the moderator or shroud attachment, you should anticipate a POI change. With FX committed to the liner/sleeve/shroud assembly, most of their rifles forward of the Royale platform are especially at risk for this issue. Can't respond to the multi-regulator issue, another FX complication. Good luck, and enjoy, you have an air rifle of considerable capability, but one that presents a steep learning curve for a novice owner.

Thanks Guys. Like I said any and all advice helps.

I don't know about #2 and #3 but I only clean air gun barrels if there's an accuracy issue.

My guess is Utah Air would have cleaned it while sighting in your scope if it needed it. Nickle size groups at 50 yards is about as good as I would expect anyway.

Groups tightened up after a tightened the shroud and re zeroed. But yeah i was impressed as it was a windy gusty day. maybe lil bigger than a nickel but first time shooting so definitely room to improve on my part.

1- Even if Utah sighted in yer gun a couple of patches down it to make sure the factory anti-corrosion stuff was cleaned out would not hurt.

2- yes it's OK to shoot it past the 1st reg. It's the second one you don't want to shoot it to far past.

3- I have my gen1 .22 as a compact. My .30 stays a .30 sniper so can't help you there.

Awesome. I'll probably get 3 mags as it is right now shooting past the 1st reg.

Anytime you touch the moderator or shroud attachment, you should anticipate a POI change. With FX committed to the liner/sleeve/shroud assembly, most of their rifles forward of the Royale platform are especially at risk for this issue. Can't respond to the multi-regulator issue, another FX complication. Good luck, and enjoy, you have an air rifle of considerable capability, but one that presents a steep learning curve for a novice owner.

TY for the response. The complexity of the gun (platform) was one of the reasons i went with it. I like to experiment and tinker. Unlike some of my other hobbies (pc/gaming) this gets me outside to experiment and tinker.

I didn't know how to overclock a pc till i did it. admittedly with a lot of you tube and forum help.

I'm also into BFS (bait finesse system) fishing gear. which i mod and acquire after market parts for. Air guns are like the BFS of the shooting scene. lol

The impact platform has a lot of the previously aftermarket custom mods of old built into the platform. It does up the complexity and the chance of part failure but i consider that a fair trade for the versatility.

Might be singing a different tune a year from now if i experience a major failure but my fingers are crossed and am hopeful i carry this hobby long term.

Thanks again guys for your input.

Welcome to the forum. 
I’m betting you will be singing a different tune a year from now, and it’s going to be the “Time for another rifle” song! After experiencing one really accurate gun the mind begins to wonder how accurate other guns are. 
It’s the onset of the disease, but it’s a really good disease. Lots of guys here are deeply infected and thoroughly enjoying the sickness lol.

Welcome to the forum. 
I’m betting you will be singing a different tune a year from now, and it’s going to be the “Time for another rifle” song! After experiencing one really accurate gun the mind begins to wonder how accurate other guns are. 
It’s the onset of the disease, but it’s a really good disease. Lots of guys here are deeply infected and thoroughly enjoying the sickness lol.

Lol...your probably right.

I started BFS fishing 15 years ago. A dozen JDM reels and a couple dozen imported and domestic rods later im still eyeballing new gear.

Same with pc gaming. It lead to upgrades and mining rigs...lol

I have a problem! :\

When my barrel was new, accuracy started slipping between 500 and 1000 rounds (wasn't paying close enough attention). I've heard barrels will get better over time, but 500 is probably a good starting point if you don't want to just go off watching the accuracy. I also did 10-15 pulls with JB bore paste patches to mildly polish the barrel (one-way down the barrel, NOT back and forth!). Actually got a lot of lead chunks out with those JB patches too. Get either a Crown Saver patch puller or Patch Worm and clean with your choice of CLP/Ballistol/etc. I remove the barrel because it is so easy on the Impact and then you don't have to worry about the breech oring or oil in the transfer port.

The most efficient tune is going to be shooting ~95-97% velocity for a given reg pressure. Here's how I set up my 600mm impact for JSB 18.1s at 890fps in 5 mins:

• turned hammer power adjusters way up so it was shooting at max, got about 918fps,
  • turned reg up until I got ~930fps
  • turned power adjusters back down till I was at 890fps. result - quiet, accurate, efficient.

You do need a chrony. Between slight gun differences, and inaccuracies in even the wika gauges, you can't just go off gauge readings here. If you haven't chrony'd your gun yet, its possible you might be able to squeeze some more shots out of it depending on where it is currently.

If you want to tune for slugs, you'll end up raising the reg pressure in order to get sufficient speed from the slugs, then you'll lose shot count with both slugs and pellets. You may be able to keep it at 2 mags, but you will be stuck with the higher reg pressure if you want to maintain both uses. Your pellet shot count will be higher than slugs (less hammer setting than slugs), but less shots than if you were only tuned for pellets at the lower reg pressure.

@TDK

Thanks for the advice.

I have a tin through gun already. Ill probably clean my current barrel when my heavy liner gets here.

The 18.2 jsb pellets are pretty impressive right now tho. Ill take a pic if i didn't throw it away... i have a target that has a 3 inch horizontal hole where the pellets were just left right in 20 to 30 mph gusty winds at 45 yards after a re-zero. to windy to go out further.

I did that the first day I had it. Next day was a bit calmer. I could start to see actual groups. Definitely need to fine tune still. I have the fx crony but haven't used it yet. weather and work has been getn in the way.

I have a 500mm heavy liner on the way. I plan on setting up for slugs and catch the end of squirrel season here. Also have a 480cc 300 bar tank coming to keep my shot count up there. i want a compact 50fpe hunting machine. i am hoping the 480cc will fit under my current (fx donnyfl) moderator. Someone mentioned in another thread it might not.

Just got done watching the aeac ebr and rmac videos. sooooo much good info! has my gears turning. cant wait to start tuning!