First PCP: Marauder .25 - Initial results and a few questions

Recently purchased a new Marauder in .25 caliber with a wood stock for use on backyard varmints (primarily groundhogs at 40 yards or less) where low noise is essential. I have a decent amount of experience with accurate cartridge rifles, but I have much to learn about this PCP and will welcome feedback from more experienced users.

The Marauder is topped off with a Hawke Vantage Side Focus 1/2 Mil Dot 4x16x44 mounted using UTG Leapers Accushot rings.

A few different few pellets were tried, and most shot pretty well. Five shot groups at 30 yards in of 1/2" to 3/4" were achieved, even though my rest setup was not overly stable and certainly induced some errors. I have spent the most time with the H&N Baracuda 30.86 grain pellet since these received some positive reviews for hunting and seem like a reasonable balance of weight and trajectory. The best groups resulted when pellets were classified by weight.

With this pellet a trajectory curve was worked out to 50 yards. It is currently sighted 1" high at 30 yards which puts it dead on at ~40 yards. Holding + 1 Mil Dot (at 10X) has this pellet grouping close to dead on at 50 yards. My one 50 yard group was ~ 1.25" with mainly horizontal dispersion due to a few breezes that day. 

So far I am pleased with this gun "out of the box" without any adjustments or modifications.

And now a few questions:

1. What are cleaning recommendations?

2. Recommendations for adjusting the trigger will be appreciated. I have experience with two stage triggers previously, but as received the break point is not crisp.

3. Some flyers have been experienced with the first pellet out of a full magazine. Is there a trick to avoid this? 

4. Is replacing the barrel band worthwhile? Given the amount of free-flat of the shroud within the band it appears that it would be easy to bump out of zero.

5. Are any other basic modifications beneficial (I assume that modifications range form the basic to the advanced)?

6. Are any spare parts essential?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

dry patch it occassionally.

put some 600 grit to the sear and hammer surfaces .. a light polish fir a minute isxall thats needed.

first shots ... fill to 28 .. you got 2 mags in the sweet zone ... zero it at 20ish .. a 3/4" holdover at 50 is about right ..

no .. its designed to float, dont overtighten the barrel cap nut either.

i wouldnt mod it .. maybe a depinger is it ..

i bought mine in 2012 .. its never needed anything but i have a full set of orings onhand.

Watch Ted's Holdover videos on the. 25 Marauder for some good info. They are the reason I bought mine. As dizzums mentioned, no need to fully fill the gun, there is that two mag range with consistent velocity. Plenty of aftermarket parts, if you want to go that route, but I think the Marauder is a pretty competent gun as is. 

Sighting in mine I took three shots @25 yards then dialed the correction and put one right in the bull. One hole groups are the norm at that range using JSB Kings.
20191028_171954.1629757246.jpg

My first PCP was a Marauder pistol. I believe the way it works is very, very similar to your Marauder. Both are unregulated (I am assuming that is true for yours because you did not mention a moderator). So your velocity is a function of your hammer spring and your fill level.

I would get a chronograph if you do not have one already and do a shot string from 3000 psi. Measure the velocity of each shot. I also like to record the pressure every three shots or so. I have two chronographs from China at cost about $35 each. One attaches to the barrel, the other sits in front of the gun. I like both better than the "Shooting Chrony" I used for years but shot trying to get it to record velocity in low light. Regardless of what chrony you want to use, it is invaluable for tuning.

What you are very likely to see is velocity going up as pressure goes down with a peak around 2500 psi.

You can decrease the velocity variation by doing what is called the "Bstaley tune". You open the gun up and put O-rings around the valve stem so the hammer hits them a little before hitting the valve stem. I just did this to my Prod and had to use a stronger hammer spring to get back to the same velocity/energy. But I went from about 20 shots averaging about 16.8 fpe to 30 or more averaging 16.3 fpe. So a little lower energy but about 10 more shots. Extreme spread of 60 fps on the higher energy tune versus less than 30 on the Bstaley tune.

A much more basic retune is just to adjust the hammer spring tension up or down to match the velocity you want. The manual that came with your gun will explain how. I believe you also have an adjustment for hammer throw like my Prod has. I found that to be pretty meaningless before the Bstaley tune but with the O-rings in there is is very important - it changes velocity a bunch. Regardless of the type of tune, I make adjustments to get the velocity I want and then fine tune the hammer tension (and with the Bstaley the hammer throw) to get the best accuracy. To vary velocity, I turn a full turn of the hammer spring at a time. To get accuracy, I turn it a quarter turn. With the Bstaley, I adjusted throw first, then hammer spring tension. Turning the hammer spring a quarter turn will have minimal impact on velocity but can shrink your groups by half. My Prod gets 1/4-1/2 inch groups at 30 meters with H&N FTT copper plated. Groups are a little bigger with unsorted Crosman domed and HP. It also shoots some other H&Ns, heavier ones, and metal mags pretty well but doesn't really have the power to get them up to speed.

My PCPs are sighted in with a zero that keeps my POI within 1/4 inch from about 10 years to about 30 yards. So at my most typical backyard pesting/hunting range I can ignore the distance. My Avenger shoots 25.4s at over 900 fps so it can go over 30 yards for the zero. Prod is low 700s so it gets zero'd less than 30 yards. 20 fpe is fine for squirrels at 25-30 yards. My Prod has less and dropped the last 9 I've shot it at with one shot. So my Avenger is overkill unless I get a chance to use it at longer distance or on bigger game. It shoots through 3/4 plywood so it should be able to take a hog with a brain shot - for instance. You can get a lot more shots with your Marauder because it has a lot more air capacity but it also depends on the energy you set it at.

You can look at the tuning of an unregulated PCP as a pain or something fun to do. I choose to look at it as the latter. Means lots of shot strings, however, and 25 caliber pellets are not so easy to find. I tune with Crosmans - because they are cheaper - then use H&Ns for better accuracy. The weights are very similar so it works. But the Prod uses 22s.

Once you find the pellets your gun likes best I would buy at least 1000. I just recently found the FX 25.4s my Avenger likes best. I've tried JSB pellets in my Prod but it likes H&N and Crosmans better. But Avenger definitely prefers JSBs (who make the FX). I do not find that changing velocity affects which pellet my guns like.

On the trigger you need to pop the cover off and remove (unhook) the torsion spring. A proper size bushing would be nice but you can just un-hook it & leave it. Then adjust and you will have 99% of a match trigger. The 1st 100 Marauder had a "match trigger" and the addition of this "lawyer" spring is the difference. Enjoy.

I am sure there would be youtube videos on it.

tosion spring.1629770067.jpg

edit: here you go same thing just someone mounting it on a 2260, show spring well.

https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic37101.html

Go to marauderairrifle.com 

Every question you’ll ever have about the marauder is answered there in the forums. 

I recommend hillairgun.com for upgrades. His barrel band is worth every penny. You absolutely will bump your rifle out of zero with the factory free floating barrel band. 
Also, absolutely try JSB pellets. You should be seeing better than a 1.5 inch group at 50yds. (3/4inch would not be expecting too much.)

Not much to add that hasn't already been covered. As far as spare parts, another spare trigger blade and some breech O-rings wouldn't hurt to have around, and some spare high pressure O-rings for down the road would keep you from waiting on an order of them, but you have plenty of years on the ones you have, if new.

As far as mods, the only ones really available these days would be the HillAir mods if wanting to increase power or go regulated. You could build your own DIY SSG mod for increased shot count as this mods eliminates wasted air per shot.

If you are happy with it, I would just leave it be and enjoy it for the best experience with it and save your coins. Mine is all modded out and shoots the JSB 33.95 MKIIs at 55 FPE or below the best (Green Mountain barrel). You can't push the barrel much more than that and still expect tight groups I have found out, after much testing and taking mine up to 77 FPE unregulated.

Welcome to the club!

#1 clean it when you first get , then when accuracy falls off . Hit the search button ( many posts on this )

#2 answered but can look on u/tube

#3 dry fire or load a pellet and shoot one or two into the ground after a fill before shooting at your target helps with some guns . Also try a single shot tray will probably help with tighter groups

#4 answered but I had a thicker band made then drilled & tapped - added 3 hex screws spaced evenly to secure the barrel shrould

#5 the biggest thing would be o-rings , I bought a complete kit from the o-ring store in Wa. ha because I live there . They are cheap and will do the 22 and 25 marauder many times . Don't be afraid to rebuild it yourself , they are one of the easiest to do , also u/tube is your friend as well as AGN

0331212218.1629779399.jpg
0331212219.1629779440.jpg

I will also add don't get carried away with all the fancy mods. because many of us have spent big $$$ doing that on the MARUDER LOL unless you really want too . Your in the dark side or should I say the money pit . They are nice guns but save your money , most of us don't stop with one gun , trust me on that one . Enjoy it & shoot the heck out of it . If you add a LCD go up one size like a 30 cal. so you don't have pellet clipping . Congrats Darell

i you add a LCD go up one size like 30 cal. so you have no pellet clipping

Go to marauderairrifle.com 

Every question you’ll ever have about the marauder is answered there in the forums. 

I recommend hillairgun.com for upgrades. His barrel band is worth every penny. You absolutely will bump your rifle out of zero with the factory free floating barrel band. 
Also, absolutely try JSB pellets. You should be seeing better than a 1.5 inch group at 50yds. (3/4inch would not be expecting too much.)

+1 on the Hill barrel band. You will get POI shifts from handling the gun if you are not super careful.