• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First PCP - low noise and high accuracy - Prod, Mrod, Fortitude, Artemis?

Hi Patrick,

I haven't owned a ton of pcp guns yet, but the ones I have, I've spent a lot of time really getting to know them. I had a Marauder in.22 for a couple years. I removed the trigger spring and did the bstaley mod. Both easy to do, inexpensive and produced great results. It's super quiet as well. It was fairly big and heavy.. I could never find a pellet that shot as accurately as i hoped, so I ended up selling it. 

I currently have both a prod and a 1720. I did the bstaley mod on both of them. Again, easy and provided great results. The 1720 is in pistol form. Out to 40 yards, it shoots lights out with a variety of pellets. It's a single shot in .177. It's tuned at about 10.5fpe. It also is quiet enough that a moderator isn't needed. Although it could be used for pessting and small game out to 40 yards, it wouldn't be my first choice. 

The prod is perfect in my opinion for light shooting and pesting. I have it in carbine form with a Barska 2-7 $50 scope that works great.. I have mine tuned rather light.....12fpe for 40 good shots. With bstaley, it's simple to turn up the power to 16 or 18 fpe if you want.. It's borderline backyard friendly. Definitely louder than the mrod and 1720. A $30 moderator from eBay and it's now the quietest gun I have. I only found one pellet that it shoots very well. H&N field target 14.66 in 5.53 shoots minute of squirrel head out to 40 yards, zipping along around 625fps. Both prod and 1720 have nice triggers right out of the box. The prod is the most enjoyable gun I have and the one that gets shot the most, including the couple high end pcp guns I have.

My nephew has the Fortitude. It's a great gun for what it's intended for at the price point. Stock trigger is a hard single stage. We did the trigger mod, which improved it, but not to the point that it's as good as any of the other guns mentioned. It's also very quiet as is. Accuracy is pretty good with jsb 16 and 18s. I prefer my prod, but the Fortitude would suite your needs just fine. 

I can't speak to the Artemis brand as I've never owned or shot one. Some points worth mentioning about the Crosman/Benjamin brand is the simplicity to work on, easy to get and cheap parts, tons of info and support and the fact that they're designed and assembled in the USA. Have fun making your decision and welcome to the rabbit hole.

The prod is perfect in my opinion for light shooting and pesting. I have it in carbine form with a Barska 2-7 $50 scope that works great.. I have mine tuned rather light.....12fpe for 40 good shots. With bstaley, it's simple to turn up the power to 16 or 18 fpe if you want.. It's borderline backyard friendly. Definitely louder than the mrod and 1720. A $30 moderator from eBay and it's now the quietest gun I have. I only found one pellet that it shoots very well. H&N field target 14.66 in 5.53 shoots minute of squirrel head out to 40 yards, zipping along around 625fps. Both prod and 1720 have nice triggers right out of the box. The prod is the most enjoyable gun I have and the one that gets shot the most, including the couple high end pcp guns I have.

Thanks! I'm deciding now between Prod and pp750. Seems like you get a nicer trigger (and potentially a little more accuracy with the Prod), but you pay for it. Noise levels supposedly similar if you get the american version of the pp750 that has baffles. I like that the pp750's stock is collapsable to pistol form, seems like it's not super fast to swap it on the Prod? Maybe I'm wrong.

This is true. I have both guns and I much prefer my Prod for backyard pesting. With a Hill depinger, and a Donnyfl Tanto the Prod is pretty damn quiet and has taken several rabbits and squirrels instantly and humanely within 30 yds. H&N hornets seem to be the most lethal accurate for me. My Leshiy is too powerful for the backyard right now. I need to tune it down to avoid pass through, or just take it out to the field.

For primarily quiet pesting use under 30 yards:

-Primo: Edgun Leshiy Classic Long With STO insert

-Pedestrian: Prod as mentioned

Both will do the job!

Why "use under 30 yards" regarding Leshiy Classic? There's plenty of room until 50-60 meters...

The first sentence of the Original Poster’s post states, “Primary use will be pesting <30 yards, I want the noise to be discrete and I want confidence that any shot will land on target for ethical dispatching.”

The Leshiy is certainly accurate and capable beyond 30 yards. I would not recommend it if primary use was long range or bench use. But for a lightweight, rugged airgun that holds it’s zero after getting knocked around and is primarily for hunting use... a Leshiy Classic (I prefer the efficiency and quiet nature of the 350mm barrel length) is very hard to beat!

The Leshiy is certainly accurate and capable beyond 30 yards. I would not recommend it if primary use was long range or bench use. But for a lightweight, rugged airgun that holds it’s zero after getting knocked around and is primarily for hunting use... a Leshiy Classic (I prefer the efficiency and quiet nature of the 350mm barrel length) is very hard to beat!

Exactly. I agreed 100%.

Thanks! I'm deciding now between Prod and pp750. Seems like you get a nicer trigger (and potentially a little more accuracy with the Prod), but you pay for it. Noise levels supposedly similar if you get the american version of the pp750 that has baffles. I like that the pp750's stock is collapsable to pistol form, seems like it's not super fast to swap it on the Prod? Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think the PP750 it's useable as a pistol with the stock collapsed. I think the stock has to be removed but I imaging it's easier to remove than the Prod stock. All the stock options I've seen for the Prod do not make for a quick transition from carbine to pistol. If you're interested a pistol/carbine that can be changed quickly from a carbine to pistol and back again this new Reximex RP paired with a reflex or red dot sight might be something to look at. Unfortunately it's not sold by any US companies that I'm aware of though.

https://reximex.com/pcp/rp/

https://youtu.be/HIiOraRgbL8

RP.1629325131.jpg

I had a Benjamin Maximus and it is still the worst and least favorite pcp I have ever owned. Wouldn’t buy that platform again at any price. For the money I wouldn’t buy any marauder either. Just too many good options for less coin. Will you be hand pumping? What kind of pests? I started with a gamo urban. What a great gun. It had exceptional accuracy and decent power. Wish I never sold it.