First PCP (Hatsan Blitz) Won't Hold Air

Hi, I have been an airgun enthusiast for 50 years and I received my first PCP rifle on Friday 15JAN2021. It is a Hatsan Blitz .22 cal. Yesterday, after reading the provided instructions I started to fill the gun's onboard tank with air from my hand pump. After pumping for about a half hour it became obvious that the gun leaks and would not hold air for more than a few seconds, preventing building any pressure at all. I followed the filling process exactly but the gun just will not hold air. Is there any easy fix for this, or should I just return it? I was really looking forward to testing the gun out, but for now it is a big disappointment. I would really appreciate any helpful knowledge. 

Understandable. This can become a very expensive hobby, in a heart beat! I'd try filling it from a tank etc. to see if all is well, then you can decide which direction to go. My first venture into this hobby, was a P rod and a hand pump. That combo worked great, then I got into larger rifles, calibers, etc. etc. compressors, tanks, thousands of dollars! But I'm old, and having fun while I can still enjoy it. Can't take the money with you ya know.😉

I have a Blitz in 25 cal and it's definitely not a hand pump gun. You need a compressor or tank because of how fast you'll go through air, especially in auto. You'll burn yourself out pumping and the gun won't be fun. Mine also leaked the first time I filled it with a compressor. As soon as I opened the bleed valve, the needle on the gun started to drop. I topped it off again and bled and the needle dropped again. Third time I filled, shut the compressor off and let it sit for awhile, thinking maybe the new valve is just sticking or something and needs time to set. That seemed to do the trick cause when I did open the bleed valve the needle on the gun stayed put. Never had a problem with it after that; it fills and holds pressure no problem.

I am going to try to find a dive shop nearby that will fill it for me before getting a compressor. That may not be easy for me as I live in NJ and most people here are afraid of anything that looks like a gun. Even paintball guns are considered firearms here. I liked the idea of getting a workout using the hand pump, again here in NJ the gyms have been closed for nearly a year, and the physical effort is something I need. I have three Hatsan springers and think they are all great. I have been researching and waiting for a year to get the Blitz, it seems that there were quality issues with initial generation of Blitz guns.

Just a thought ( I am only on my first coffee of the morning ). When the bolt is back and you are pumping, can you hear the air leaking. More then likely would sound like its coming from the barrel. If that is the case then you will need to... pump faster or fill it with a quick shot of air from a tank. Having that big tank volume could very well be the issue. Your simply not building up enough pressure fast enough to put pressure on the valve to seat it. Just my opinion. You should of got a air tube airgun over a bottle if you are going to hand pump it. Even then it still sucks to pump. I did it for 6 years with multiple airguns. Got a tank and... well, its nice to just fill and shoot. If you are shooting fast then you will end up pumping more then you shoot. 

I just went down to the garage and tried the 150psi LP compressor and it was just the same, never even moved the needle on the gage. It just leaked out as fast as it was shot in. Tomorrow morning I'll call the nearest scuba shop to see if they will try to fill it for me. I may be finished with the PCP thing before even getting started.Thanks for sharing the knowledge anyways.

Thanks Mr. Odoyle. I loaded a pellet and closed the bolt - voila! Pumped about 10-15 times and fired the pellet at the ashcan by the fireplace, put a nice dent in it. About 15 minutes and approx. 100 pumps later she is up to 150bar. I think the recommendation of filling with the bolt locked back maybe for safety consideration. Also, the fill probe that came with it doesn't include adapter fittings to use the foster QD fittings. So, yeah, I can get it operating with muscle, but it appears that I will be shopping for a compressor. I'm thinking a Yong Heng from Ebay.. Thanks again, I need to get back to pumping and then let a magazine full of pellets rip into the woodpile in the back yard. 

Reactions: Gavin777