• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First PCP air rifle suggestion.

I was looking to get a jsar raptor mini in .25, but the wait and cost. Also it being my first PCP It may be too high end. (thoughts on that?) So I was also looking at the AEA Assassin in .25, I know it isn't the the same ball park as quality, but it would allow me to get my feet wet and the semi auto would be fun for awhile. I appreciate any feedback for this noob lol.

A marauder is what I went with and honestly it is extremely reliable, easy to work on if you want to upgrade or need to do a reseal. The gun has many different tuning adjustments you can do and no other gun boasts the aftermarket parts that the marauder does. You can start out with a really good gun and end up with a high end lightweight tier 1 gun depending on what you do with it. My marauder shoots half an in at 50 yards when I do my part and wind isn't crazy. I have the 177 field and target. If you get that model don't give up on the regulater I had to shoot mine 150 or 200 times before I got really consistent spread. If you plan on doing lots of work to it you might want to buy one with the lw barrel but mine is standard crosman and after deburring the tp area it is just as accurate. Good luck buddy. 

I'm always a little skiddish when offering my opinion on a first PCP rifle because so much can become dependent on your real time experience with the gun. It may bum you out so bad you throw your hands up and walk away from the sport for the rest of your life. That's why it seems to me that you need to get something that doesn't break the bank and gives you good to exceptional accuracy out of the box … something that builds up your confidence and shows you the possibilities of staying with the sport and what may be possible in the future should you persue the sport further as well as being a ton of fun.

With that in mind my suggestions are the Taipan Veteran, the Vulcan Tactic, FX Wildcat, the Kalibrgun Cricket 

Shalom

John

I have a Raptor and I believe it would not be a good choice for a first PCP as the tuning part is different than any other PCP I’ve tried because of the large plenum and balance valve that needs a lot of incremental adjustments with regulator, hammer spring and striker to get it tuned properly. Not trying to dissuade you as It’s an incredible pcp, just I believe not a pcp for a beginner. I’d recommend the Veteran.

You have received good advice so far. Make sure you take the cost of everything you need into account first, and it is nice to see you have a close place to get air. Then work on your budget from there. Besides a particular model, because you could get Bullpup or rifle, it depends on what you think you might like more. 

My best advice is not to assume that it will be your last. It might be, but I would say far more people end up trying out several before finding what they really like. Don’t assume you are going to find the perfect one on the first try, if you aren’t able to hold a few at least before purchasing. I thought I knew what I wanted until I went to an airgun show, and helped a lot to see many and get to hold them. 

I would also say get what you want. If you settle for something you don’t really want, you will probably end up buying the other one later anyway, because you just have to know.