• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex First outing with sl30

Been toying with the idea of getting a gauntlet for a wile now finally bit the bullet and ordered the sl30. Only had a little time today but I enjoy it so far grouping wasn’t great but that was 50 yards standing leaned against a tree. Only the second magazine through the gun my only complaint is the trigger out of the box. I think some of the nerf guns at Walmart have a smoother trigger 🤣.

IMG_7835.jpeg

IMG_7836.jpeg

What ammo are you shooting? Should be hole in hole at 50 even with a bipod on a log.

Those triggers smooth out over time but there's lots of info here and Youtube how to tinker with them. My G2 25 came with a sandpaper trigger, my G30 came with a very smooth one. Now over time the G25 feels smoother as well.

You're gonna want to get a barrel band for that gun that connects the air tank to the mid/front of the barrel shroud. Very important if you want it to aim in the same place every time you use it. Otherwise these guns do wander quite a bit and you'll be wondering what's wrong with your scope.

Remember you got a hammer spring adjustment with an allen key in the back of the action there.

If you want to shoot real nice groups with lighter ammo (and you don't care about max power), turn that all the way to the left. You'll still be shooting around 70-80 fpe and you'll get twice as many shots per fill too.

About 3-4 turns to the right from minimum is "max power". Any more than that and you just dump air for no additional gains. But this is what you want to shoot Griffin 64 grain cup base slugs, which is probably this gun's favorite ammo other than JSB 44.75 and Hades.

Your gun probably arrived fairly close to "max power". You should still get a lot better groups than that with JSB 44.75 at max power, so maybe you were a little wobbly out there in the cold on the stump today ;)

Enjoy... this is a sweet gun and I'm sure the more you shoot it the more you'll love it. I have the regular version without the side lever.... wouldn't trade it for anything. I've got it tricked out and use it to practice off hand shots at 100 yards and shoot 2" spinners at 125 yards. Of course with a sling.

Reactions: markhooper
One more tip... unless they changed it on the "SL" version.... do not attempt to turn the hammer spring adjustment in beyond 4 turns (as I said there are no gains beyond that anyway). One time I just cranked it to the max, who knows how many turns that was. When I first got the gun and I had the chronograph out to see what would happen. Well, I took my first shot and all the air dumped out the barrel in a pretty dramatic way. Dumped the whole tank.

Turned out to be no big deal to cock it (which I had to do, I believe) before refilling it. But not something I recommend

Here's the thread I made when I first got the gun with some of my early impressions and testing.

I see that apparently they discontinued the bolt.. all the other calibers are available now at pyramid and no bolt listed..
so I guess it's good, followed what seems popular, I just wish they would have a option for open sights.. most companies have discontinued open sights on Air guns but they are still very popular for rimfire..
Mark

I see that apparently they discontinued the bolt.. all the other calibers are available now at pyramid and no bolt listed..
so I guess it's good, followed what seems popular, I just wish they would have a option for open sights.. most companies have discontinued open sights on Air guns but they are still very popular for rimfire..
Mark

I'll admit the sidelever is an upgrade, but I have gotten quite used to the bolt as well. Yeah, it's not dainty, but I can rack 'em quick and stay on target.

I put a little holo sight on my G2 .25 caliber for a while... not quite the same as open sights but it was an interesting setup. Made the gun very light at least. Fun for some offhand plinking. But I put an 18x scope back on there considering it's a good 100+ yard gun and I need some magnification for that.

The G2 30 caliber I've never had less than a 24x scope on there.... the Vortex Crossfire II is a permanent fixture (for me that's what I consider "nice glass")

Ma
I think I would have liked the bolt myself. But at the same time I enjoy the side lever I agree the length and weight of the gun would have made it a neat shooter with iron sights. Almost like shouldering an older muzzleloader

I just installed the buck rail 30cal non taper. Quieted it down substantially and for 40 bucks I’m very happy with it very light weight to which is a plus with an already heavy gun
I was afraid to go with a printed moderator with as much power as the SL30 makes. I have a souped up 25 cal Avenger that makes 80ft/lbs and it shot horribly with a printed moderator on it. If you guys are having luck with them on the 30, I may try one of the Buck Rail ones.

I was afraid to go with a printed moderator with as much power as the SL30 makes. I have a souped up 25 cal Avenger that makes 80ft/lbs and it shot horribly with a printed moderator on it. If you guys are having luck with them on the 30, I may try one of the Buck Rail ones.
I only have about 25 rounds through it so far. I can try to shoot some with and some without this weekend but so far so good. I also have one on my akela. But I get the ft lb concern

I only have about 25 rounds through it so far. I can try to shoot some with and some without this weekend but so far so good. I also have one on my akela. But I get the ft lb concern
I actually shot a after market moderator out of the end of my shroud on my notos, didn't have it secured well enough..
so my thoughts are if I get a SL 30 I'd rather have a aluminum housing at least.. to not only retain it, but what happens if it is 3d printed and you accidentally bump it..
I also was told by another guy that he had to get the tank to barrel clamp because if he even laid it down and the barrel touched something it changed the point of impact..
looking at it and being able to get parts aftermarket, since umarex doesn't sell parts.. seems like a good value
Mark

I actually shot a after market moderator out of the end of my shroud on my notos, didn't have it secured well enough..
so my thoughts are if I get a SL 30 I'd rather have a aluminum housing at least.. to not only retain it, but what happens if it is 3d printed and you accidentally bump it..
I also was told by another guy that he had to get the tank to barrel clamp because if he even laid it down and the barrel touched something it changed the point of impact..
looking at it and being able to get parts aftermarket, since umarex doesn't sell parts.. seems like a good value
Mark
Mark
I have not ordered a barrel band yet but I can see that being a huge benefit and atleast piece of mind for accidental bumps and even takin gun in and out of truck etc.