First of the year

Got me a dove today. Sorry I didn't get a picture. First shot didn't kill it outright, even though it was a headshot. So after I collected it, still alive, I place it on the ground and took a second shot at point blank to kill it quickly. Needless to say, all that was left after the second shot was it's beak and in this process I didn't think to get a photo.

It was honestly a shock to me that I got it. I had taken three shots previously and missed all three. Mind you, I was about thirty yards away and shooting with iron sights which blocked out all but it's head. I used the pool gate post as my rest as I lined up my fourth attempt, sights on it's body just below it's neck. I pulled the trigger and watched in shock as it dropped from the power line. So I put my rifle on safe, placed it on the table, and crammed my way through bushes to the other side to collect my prize which was very flopping around with very little energy. I had hit it in the left eye, exiting through the top of it's skull, missing the brain almost completely. At that distance with iron sights, I amazed myself that I hit it at all. So after a quick dispatch, I plucked it and removed the breast meat which is now being frozen. The remains have been deposited in the garden as fertilizer for this year's crops. Or an animals next meal, which ever comes first.

Next one I'll have to get a photo. Until next time folks, stay scoped and keep your eye on the target.

Nice report sir. Please do be sure that the game you take and then post about, is done not only ethically, but also legally. Eurasian collared doves are legal to take with pellet guns, and mourning doves are not. Before you shoot a bird, make a post in a thread or post a photo....please double-check that your are legal. I would hate to see you get in trouble.

"JimNM"Nice report sir. Please do be sure that the game you take and then post about, is done not only ethically, but also legally. Eurasian collared doves are legal to take with pellet guns, and mourning doves are not. Before you shoot a bird, make a post in a thread or post a photo....please double-check that your are legal. I would hate to see you get in trouble.
Absolutely. And while this is true, what I did is actually pest control on our property. We have bird feeders that are for specific birds and not the doves that like to raid our feeder. We like to keep the Robin's and Blue Jays around, but not the doves. I'm not sure which species of dove it was, truthfully, but state laws differ so what may be illegal to hunt where you are could be legal to hunt with an air gun here.