First Look: FX Maverick Compact 25 Cal. Overview

https://youtu.be/Mc9d2iW6gUg

The all new FX Maverick Compact in .25 cal is here! What happens when you mash up an FX Impact MKII and FX Wildcat MKIII then sprinkle in a bunch of innovation? You get one of the most powerful and versatile Airguns EVER!

Here are some quick data points from my testing:

* Regulated at 150 bar in 500cc barrel compact form
* 850 FPS 34 grain FX Pellets
* 925 FPS 25.4 grain FX Pellets (Tuned down to 905 for best accuracy)
* Getting around 60-70 shots per full 250 bar fill with 25.4 grain pellets
* FX Smooth Twist X Superior Liner to shoot both pellets and slugs, but I will be showing slug performance in the upcoming Sniper configuration video
* I am getting Extreme Spreads consistently below 10 FPS across an entire 16 shot magazine!

Gear used in this video:

* FX Maverick Compact in .25 cal: https://utahairguns.com/fx-maverick/
* Element Optics Titan: https://utahairguns.com/element-titan-5-25x56-ffp
* DonnyFL TATSU Suppressor: https://utahairguns.com/donnyfl-tatsu-moderator/
* Atlas Bipods Cal 2: https://utahairguns.com/cal-atlas-bipod-gen-2/
* Air Venturi Nomad II Compressor: https://utahairguns.com/air-venturi-nomad-ii-4500-psi-portable-pcp-compressor-out-of-stock/
* Tactacam Spotter LR: https://utahairguns.com/tactacam-spotter-lr/
* FX Hybrid Slugs: https://utahairguns.com/fx-hybrid-slugs/
* Unburdened Bourbon Whiskey from the 68 Whiskey Channel: https://grazinspirits.com/in-the-bottle

Some are calling the FX Maverick the love child of the FX Impact and FX Wildcat, but there is some DNA of the FX Dreamline in here as well. But it is the new features ONLY found in the FX Maverick that makes this airgun one of the most consistent and accurate airguns I have have ever shot. PERIOD. I’ve spent the last week testing this thing and all I can say is WOW!

There are so many things I want to show you about the FX Maverick from the dual regulators and the MASSIVE 89cc Power Plenum. In this video I cover why the new dual regulator system is a game changer. Especially here in Michigan where our temperatures are often below freezing for a good part of the year. Regulator creep can really mess up your shot groups and I talk about how the dual regulator system is an answer to this problem. As always, I want to show how fun these guns are to shoot and the FX Maverick did not disappoint. As a demonstration of the accuracy and consistent pellet on pellet performance, my good buddy Rick Rehm from Shooter1721 threw down a Cranberry Sauce challenge that I just couldn't resist.

If you don't like canned jellied cranberry sauce, make sure to watch till the very end and check out my FX Cranberry Sauce recipe with a little help from some of my air gunner buddies Keith and Norm at 68 Whiskey. Make sure to subscribe and follow me for more recipes!

Reactions: CptMoonlight
With all the features of this gun & it’s primary goal of shooting slugs...why doesn’t it pump those slugs out faster than 850 fps with 34 grain slug? Kind of selling me a Corvette & putting a 4 cylinder in it. Effort to sell the slug conversion kit? While I’m venting (sorry) why don’t manufactures build in good suppressors into the barrel and keep the diameter of the barrel constant the entire length. Looks less creepy to the general public. Ty

With all the features of this gun & it’s primary goal of shooting slugs...why doesn’t it pump those slugs out faster than 850 fps with 34 grain slug? Kind of selling me a Corvette & putting a 4 cylinder in it. Effort to sell the slug conversion kit? While I’m venting (sorry) why don’t manufactures build in good suppressors into the barrel and keep the diameter of the barrel constant the entire length. Looks less creepy to the general public. Ty

I wouldn't say the primary goal of this gun is to shoot slugs, but shoot pellets amazingly well AND have power there to move to a spin stabilized projectile (slug) if you want to. I think the dual regulator is going to dominate the major competitions next year and here is why. I spent a lot of time talking with shooters at RMAC and I competed at Pyramid Cup and noticed top level shooters using their sighter targets for much more than figuring out the wind. I had more than one top level shooter tell me they were "exercising the regulator springs" to get it into a groove.

With single regulated airguns there can be micro (and even large amounts) of regulator creep effecting the shot to shot velocity enough to cause slight POI shift at 100 yards. Often what happens is if you start shooting at a consistent pace you "time" that regulator getting an exact metered amount of air each time in the plenum space. I am finding my Extreme Spread is noticeably less with this dual regulator set up and don't need to "exercising the regulator springs" to find that groove.

Also, the .25 cal Hybrid slugs can shoot at over 920 FPS out of this compact set up at 150 bar reg. The 34 grains are pellets - not slugs, shooting at 850 FPS. I ran out of time to show slugs performance (other than the Cranberry Sauce explosion) and will show in my next video with the Maverick but in Sniper configuration with 700mm barrel kit. I like being able to run the longer barrel and move the regulator down to around 110 bar. Lower pressure needs less hammer smack = better accuracy. 

As I am one of the 800 million left handed people in the world I wont buy one due to the magazine position..

Damn shame that, it looks like a winner otherwise.

Yep - FX does not appear to care about us left handed shooters. 

That and I getting sick of the power game with FX. Hey we are advertising a new gun with amazing power output IF you go spend more for the slug power kit. Until proven otherwise I see this dual reg setup as a gimmicky fix for a problem FX should resolve by making a better single regulator that doesn't creep. 

I wouldn't say the primary goal of this gun is to shoot slugs, but shoot pellets amazingly well AND have power there to move to a spin stabilized projectile (slug) if you want to. I think the dual regulator is going to dominate the major competitions next year and here is why. I spent a lot of time talking with shooters at RMAC and I competed at Pyramid Cup and noticed top level shooters using their sighter targets for much more than figuring out the wind. I had more than one top level shooter tell me they were "exercising the regulator springs" to get it into a groove.

With single regulated airguns there can be micro (and even large amounts) of regulator creep effecting the shot to shot velocity enough to cause slight POI shift at 100 yards. Often what happens is if you start shooting at a consistent pace you "time" that regulator getting an exact metered amount of air each time in the plenum space. I am finding my Extreme Spread is noticeably less with this dual regulator set up and don't need to "exercising the regulator springs" to find that groove.

Also, the .25 cal Hybrid slugs can shoot at over 920 FPS out of this compact set up at 150 bar reg. The 34 grains are pellets - not slugs, shooting at 850 FPS. I ran out of time to show slugs performance (other than the Cranberry Sauce explosion) and will show in my next video with the Maverick but in Sniper configuration with 700mm barrel kit. I like being able to run the longer barrel and move the regulator down to around 110 bar. Lower pressure needs less hammer smack = better accuracy.

UpNorthAirGunner I watched 3 different videos including yours, about the Maverick and everyone including you are running the reg at 150 bar. Is this set up from FX like that? I would have though that the bigger plenum you could drop the reg pressure and still have the same shot count. Can you elaborate on this. I’m looking at the 25 cal sniper. 

UpNorthAirGunner I watched 3 different videos including yours, about the Maverick and everyone including you are running the reg at 150 bar. Is this set up from FX like that? I would have though that the bigger plenum you could drop the reg pressure and still have the same shot count. Can you elaborate on this. I’m looking at the 25 cal sniper.

145-150 bar will be close to the right configuration for the compact kit with the 500mm barrel length pushing heavier 34 grain pellets. I could have dropped it down to a lower pressure to get around 800 FPS much like my Wildcat MKIII for more shot count, but with this gun I found two good tune nodes at 800 and again at 847-850 FPS for the tightest groups with the 34 grainers. The guys at 68 Whiskey ran theirs at 150 bar with the new .30 cal slug liner with the longer 700mm Sniper barrel to push those slugs faster which they tend to like being spin stabilized. I know Rick at Shooter1721 is getting INSANE accuracy with the .25 cal 700mm Sniper barrel at 100 yards at 110 bar pushing Hybrids around 915 FPS. His video goes live Friday, but he has been sharing some groups on Facebook and Instagram. The Power Plenum isn't just about more overall power. It is also providing a consistent pressure through the entire shot cycle from hammer strike opening the valve to valve closing just as the projectile leaves the barrel especially when pushing heavier lead. 

145-150 bar will be close to the right configuration for the compact kit with the 500mm barrel length pushing heavier 34 grain pellets. I could have dropped it down to a lower pressure to get around 800 FPS much like my Wildcat MKIII for more shot count, but with this gun I found two good tune nodes at 800 and again at 847-850 FPS for the tightest groups with the 34 grainers. The guys at 68 Whiskey ran theirs at 150 bar with the new .30 cal slug liner with the longer 700mm Sniper barrel to push those slugs faster which they tend to like being spin stabilized. I know Rick at Shooter1721 is getting INSANE accuracy with the .25 cal 700mm Sniper barrel at 100 yards at 110 bar pushing Hybrids around 915 FPS. His video goes live Friday, but he has been sharing some groups on Facebook and Instagram. The Power Plenum isn't just about more overall power. It is also providing a consistent pressure through the entire shot cycle from hammer strike opening the valve to valve closing just as the projectile leaves the barrel especially when pushing heavier lead.

That’s a good explanation thank you. 

Looks sweet for sure, but for now I'm staying with my Mark 2 power pletium Impact Compact, my results seem very similar, with slightly fewer shot's.

Donald

maverick compact would not be an upgrade for your impact compact. I ordered the maverick compact because it’s new/different AND impact compact is never in stock!!!

I agree I wouldn't call it an upgrade, but I do think there is more room to grow with the Maverick to take advantage of that full 89cc Power Plenum. It will be really interesting to see what it can do at a higher reg setting with the 700mm barrel slinging heavier NSA slugs in the 30 grain range. 

I wouldn't say the primary goal of this gun is to shoot slugs, but shoot pellets amazingly well AND have power there to move to a spin stabilized projectile (slug) if you want to. I think the dual regulator is going to dominate the major competitions next year and here is why. I spent a lot of time talking with shooters at RMAC and I competed at Pyramid Cup and noticed top level shooters using their sighter targets for much more than figuring out the wind. I had more than one top level shooter tell me they were "exercising the regulator springs" to get it into a groove.

With single regulated airguns there can be micro (and even large amounts) of regulator creep effecting the shot to shot velocity enough to cause slight POI shift at 100 yards. Often what happens is if you start shooting at a consistent pace you "time" that regulator getting an exact metered amount of air each time in the plenum space. I am finding my Extreme Spread is noticeably less with this dual regulator set up and don't need to "exercising the regulator springs" to find that groove.

Also, the .25 cal Hybrid slugs can shoot at over 920 FPS out of this compact set up at 150 bar reg. The 34 grains are pellets - not slugs, shooting at 850 FPS. I ran out of time to show slugs performance (other than the Cranberry Sauce explosion) and will show in my next video with the Maverick but in Sniper configuration with 700mm barrel kit. I like being able to run the longer barrel and move the regulator down to around 110 bar. Lower pressure needs less hammer smack = better accuracy.
Have you been shooting slugs out of the compact? What kind of results and what slugs are you finding give best results?